I haven't heard anything. I tried calling the week before the deadline and for a couple weeks after the deadline with some questions, but it always went to the DGS secretary's voicemail and said something like "I'm too busy to talk to you." Not at all welcoming. . .anyway, after that, I gave up trying to contact them. Did you have any issues with multiple deadlines? All the stuff I found on the department webpage said it was due Dec 15, but then when I submitted the online app, which I did close to the due date because I wanted to keep working on things, it said that they wanted the due date for the online bit to be Nov 15. I'd already paid and mailed all supporting documents a while before (not a month before though!), so I just trusted that everything would work out. Weird. Anyway, hope we hear soon! Good luck to you and everyone waiting!

Edited by lyonessrampant

From past experience, Utah contacts accepted applicants by e-mail at the end of February and sends letters in the first week of March. PhD candidates are most likely contacted by phone.

Edited by Milania

English Ph.D

Arggh. I really am tempted to call them up tomorrow and be like, "Really?"

But then I don't want to mess with adcoms who will only be pissed at me. They've got enough on their plates without some crazy girl calling them 24/7, lol.

Arggh. I really am tempted to call them up tomorrow and be like, "Really?"

But then I don't want to mess with adcoms who will only be pissed at me. They've got enough on their plates without some crazy girl calling them 24/7, lol.

If desperate, I suggest calling from a pay phone and using a false name.

I don’t know if this interests anyone or not, but I finally broke down and called today--no alias, no payphone, just me. The director was surprisingly nice and told me that they are still in the process of making decisions and that we should expect to hear something--if the news is positive--sometime next week.

Tick tock.

I don’t know if this interests anyone or not, but I finally broke down and called today--no alias, no payphone, just me. The director was surprisingly nice and told me that they are still in the process of making decisions and that we should expect to hear something--if the news is positive--sometime next week.

Tick tock.

Thank you so much for this update! I was trying to work up the nerve to call. My boyfriend applied to the English Lit PhD and I applied to American Studies (also out of English), so I've been anxious for updates. At least I know that news, if positive, is still a good week away. Thanks!

Tick tock.

That's good to know. It feels like it's taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever although I know that's just the crazy talking.

Hey all! Just got a call from Utah. Offered a 2-yr fellowship at 15 K per year plus tuition and then TA for yrs 3 and 4 at 3 courses total per year at the same funding amount. For yrs 5 and 6 combo of fellowships and TA. He said that the cohort is usually around 30 ish but that includes creative writing that is about 1/2 of that cohort and MA and Ph.D. I think the funded Ph.D. cohort is around 8ish based on what he said. He said letters would go out next week. No set visiting weekend, but he said they like to arrange individual visits. I live in MT so will drive, and he said they'd pay my gas and lodging for two nights. Alternately, they'll pay airfare. Hmm. . .this presents some decisions. I guess I'll go see Utah and Minnesota. Minnesota is ranked a lot higher (for what that's worth) but Utah is giving me two years of fellowship and MN a semester. . .Hmm. . . decisions. Anyway, good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Hey all! Just got a call from Utah. Offered a 2-yr fellowship at 15 K per year plus tuition and then TA for yrs 3 and 4 at 3 courses total per year at the same funding amount. For yrs 5 and 6 combo of fellowships and TA. He said that the cohort is usually around 30 ish but that includes creative writing that is about 1/2 of that cohort and MA and Ph.D. I think the funded Ph.D. cohort is around 8ish based on what he said. He said letters would go out next week. No set visiting weekend, but he said they like to arrange individual visits. I live in MT so will drive, and he said they'd pay my gas and lodging for two nights. Alternately, they'll pay airfare. Hmm. . .this presents some decisions. I guess I'll go see Utah and Minnesota. Minnesota is ranked a lot higher (for what that's worth) but Utah is giving me two years of fellowship and MN a semester. . .Hmm. . . decisions. Anyway, good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

Cool! Are you doing Am Studies or English Lit, British Lit? They do seem pretty amped on the individual visit, which is exciting!

Congratulations on your acceptance! That's really exciting. This may be a question with an obvious answer, but what are the rankings you're talking about here?

Congratulations on your acceptance! That's really exciting. This may be a question with an obvious answer, but what are the rankings you're talking about here?

the US News and World Report does rankings of schools and programs. that is at least one source of rankings. Other places, and magazines, might do their own.