Religion/Theology PhD Results 2011

calluther

Here is what I know:

Rejected from HDS Th.D. via website on Thursday February 17.

Have not heard from the Harvard GSAS Ph.D.

Vanderbilt has made its initial offers. I did not receive one, but have also not received an official rejection.

No news from Yale GDR.

No news from Emory GDR.

No news from Drew GDR.

No news from Union.

One friend rejected from BC with a February 4 date.

One friend accepted to McGill with highest scholarship and stipend.

I am curious as to when your letter from Drew was dated. As this is my top choice, I am very anxious about Drew.

I got the letter on Friday, but I forgot to look at the date. I was very sad and bitter and just tore up the letter and threw it away. Maybe if you haven't heard that's a good sign! I am trying to figure out if most schools tell acceptances or rejections first...It seems like they would tell acceptances first, but who knows.

I was offered a spot in the ThD program at Harvard, but haven't heard from any other schools yet (Emory, Vandy, Drew or Fordham). tehom and Dillskyplayer, did you interview at Emory? either of you in theological studies?

Was that McGill offer for a PhD in Religious Studies? I got accepted there, but was only offered a TAship. That confirms what I already suspected, that a few applicants get a funding offer, and that non-funded applicants basically have to get SSHRC or wait around for a funded applicant to refuse their offer. The official communications from McGill make it really seem like none of their students get funding, but I had a suspicion that some must get something more than a TAship.

I was offered a spot in the ThD program at Harvard, but haven't heard from any other schools yet (Emory, Vandy, Drew or Fordham). tehom and Dillskyplayer, did you interview at Emory? either of you in theological studies?

Hi. I do theological studies (Hebrew Bible/OT) but was not interviewed, sigh, at Emory. I saw just today that someone on 2/18 received a rejection email from the Emory PHD in religion, so assuming that he/she was not initially interviewed and received this, I must not be totally out of the running yet.

Hi. I do theological studies (Hebrew Bible/OT) but was not interviewed, sigh, at Emory. I saw just today that someone on 2/18 received a rejection email from the Emory PHD in religion, so assuming that he/she was not initially interviewed and received this, I must not be totally out of the running yet.

i'm not sure what it means from you, but each sub-department does things on their own time frame. take heart though, sometimes no news is good news!

The McGill offer was very substantial. Enough for my friend to accept almost immediately and withdraw his other apps.

Emory has apparently sent out initial offers and initial rejections. I know that process is a bit different from other schools. I have not received either, nor have I received a call for an interview. I am keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

And yes, I have applied to do theological studies.

Interviewed at Baylor. Still waiting for result.

Accepted at Catholic U. Still waiting for financial aid.

Rejected from Duke.

Waiting on Notre Dame.

Waiting on Marquette.

Good luck with Marquette. They pissed me off so badly I just never submitted my application. They didn't hold my transcripts, GRE, or anything because I didn't hit "submit" on my application before I had everything mailed to them. Therefore, they wanted all new GRE, transcripts, etc. Screw that! Wisconsin? Pass.

University of Texas: Accepted, fellowship Offered

Rice University: Accepted, Fellowship Offered

Brown: rejected

Harvard, Yale, Penn, Indiana, Princeton: still waiting

Edit: I should clarify that I applied with a focus in early Christianity/Late antique religion.

Edited by Beeroz

I am generally interested in Hebrew Bible/Second Temple Judaism

Rejected:

Brown

PTS (assumed)

Penn State (CAMS)

Waiting:

Brandeis

Chicago (Divinity School)

Emory (no interview)

Harvard (NELC)

Notre Dame (no interview)

Texas (Religious Stuides)

Vanderbilt

Yale

Accepted:

bupkis

Second Temple Judaism? As in, any and all Judaism existing after the Second Temple --- =] As in, now?

=D

Second Temple Judaism? As in, any and all Judaism existing after the Second Temple --- =] As in, now?

=D

No, Second Temple Judaism, as in when the 'second temple' existed, as in between 515 BC and 70ad, though the material requires a focus that includes at least a century in either direction.

No, Second Temple Judaism, as in when the 'second temple' existed, as in between 515 BC and 70ad, though the material requires a focus that includes at least a century in either direction.

Just giving you a hard time =]

I too have interests at home in Hebrew Bible/OT studies. I do ancient Near Eastern iconographic work with war and war artifice. It sounds like we all are qualified at this point to do our work, but its a matter of who will take us!

Congrats on Rice - when did you hear from them?

University of Texas: Accepted, fellowship Offered

Rice University: Accepted, Fellowship Offered

Brown: rejected

Harvard, Yale, Penn, Indiana, Princeton: still waiting

Edit: I should clarify that I applied with a focus in early Christianity/Late antique religion.

Edited by hjn

I'm a Canadian, and I wanted to stay in Canada, so I applied only to Canadian schools.

I applied to six programs: Toronto (Theology), Toronto (Religion), UBC (RelStud/Classics interdisc), McGill (RelStud), Alberta (RelStud), McMaster (RelStud).

Accepted: Toronto (Theology), UBC, McGill

Presumably Waitlisted (from experience): Toronto (Religion)

Waiting: Alberta, McMaster

Rejected: None yet, but probably Alberta.

McMaster sends out acceptances in March, and Toronto (Religion) sends out a second round sometime in early March. I don't know about Alberta, but chances are, I've been rejected there. It was supposed to be my safety school, but, with acceptances to the Canadian big three (UBC, McGil and Toronto), who cares? It's a good school, but it was probably my last choice out of the schools I applied to. Maybe there is no such thing as as a "safety".

Edited by aselfmadewinter

Congrats on Rice - when did you hear from them?

I got a call from Dr. DeConick last Friday. Since I was blessed enough to get a fellowship, I am not sure if they have sent out other letters yet. I got the impression that they were not done deciding, but I'm not sure.

Also, just found out I got rejected from Princeton. Sad day. Glad I got the good news from UT and Rice first.