Religion/Theology PhD Results 2011

calluther

Congrats on your decisions! I wonder if you find any comments about deferral in the letter of admissions. I'm also waiting for the admission decision from McMaster. But in case that funding does not work out well, I might have to defer an admissions to next year.

There's nothing in the admissions letter about deferral, but that doesn't mean you can't defer. As for funding, I'm pretty sure McMaster guarantees PhD students funding, sort of like a Canadian Notre Dame or something. I read that somewhere on their graduate studies website.

EDIT: here's what I found: http://graduate.mcma...te-scholarships

Not bad at all.

Edited by aselfmadewinter

There's nothing in the admissions letter about deferral, but that doesn't mean you can't defer. As for funding, I'm pretty sure McMaster guarantees PhD students funding, sort of like a Canadian Notre Dame or something. I read that somewhere on their graduate studies website.

EDIT: here's what I found: http://graduate.mcma...te-scholarships

Not bad at all.

Thanks for your answer. Regarding the funding policy, that's what I have read as well. But I guess that there might be other policy for international PhD students. I've received an e-mail from my prospective advisor informing that I was admitted to the McMaster doctoral program but need to wait for funding decision, since the "funding is limited for international students" (perhaps this year). I'm currently in a decision phase and I have few schools whose deadline for final notification will expire in March.

As for the deferral, I wonder if you know the policy of the school. I tried to find this information in the PhD handbook but couldn't find it. Or any one who knows about this issue?

Thanks for your answer. Regarding the funding policy, that's what I have read as well. But I guess that there might be other policy for international PhD students. I've received an e-mail from my prospective advisor informing that I was admitted to the McMaster doctoral program but need to wait for funding decision, since the "funding is limited for international students" (perhaps this year). I'm currently in a decision phase and I have few schools whose deadline for final notification will expire in March.

As for the deferral, I wonder if you know the policy of the school. I tried to find this information in the PhD handbook but couldn't find it. Or any one who knows about this issue?

I don't know the policy, sorry. I would probably let them know the situation, though. I was talking to the adcom chair there last week and he said that if I needed more time, they'd extend my deadline by a week or so because he knew I had other admits. I suppose I'm not surprised that funding is limited for international students, I think that's generally just what happens at Canadian schools. Admissions and funding tend to be competitive in general for internationals. Is McMaster one of your top choices? If it is, I'd let them that you're seriously considering them, and they'll probably be willing to extend your deadline. Chances are, they'll try to fund you if possible. It seems like they really consider funding their PhDs a priority, but who knows.

Do you mind me asking what field you're in? I'm almost certainly going there next year, barring McGill changing their minds about funding, and I'm kind of interested to see who else is interested in going.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone on the waitlist for Toronto Religion heard anything yet? I was told they'd make final decisions on the 18th, but I've heard nothing from them yet.

Have you heard anything from Toronto? I am also on the waitlist. What about McMaster, did you accept the offer?

Thanks

Lurking for a while now - thought I'd post my results and stats for future applicants.

UGPA: 3.5

Grad GPA: 3.95

GRE: 750 Q, 780 V, 6.0 AW

Accepted: SMU PhD, Duke ThD, Marquette PhD, Dayton PhD

Rejected: Duke PhD, Yale PhD, Notre Dame PhD

Attending SMU

All the best! Shoot me a message if you're attending SMU in the Fall.

Have you heard anything from Toronto? I am also on the waitlist. What about McMaster, did you accept the offer?

Thanks

I've heard very unofficially that I'm not going to get in to RelStud at Toronto, which is a little bit of a bummer because the funding for Theology at Toronto isn't really viable for me. Not that it matters because I accepted McMaster's offer. I'm definitely excited to do some coursework there on the DSS.

Have you heard from Mac yet? It's past their deadline for their first round as of today, so you might hear from them. I know international applicants sometimes have trouble getting in to Toronto and Mac though.

I've heard very unofficially that I'm not going to get in to RelStud at Toronto, which is a little bit of a bummer because the funding for Theology at Toronto isn't really viable for me. Not that it matters because I accepted McMaster's offer. I'm definitely excited to do some coursework there on the DSS.

Have you heard from Mac yet? It's past their deadline for their first round as of today, so you might hear from them. I know international applicants sometimes have trouble getting in to Toronto and Mac though.

Thanks for the update.

Nothing from McMaster! In response to my email they told me that given the University's resources, it does take a little longer to determine levels of support available for international students such as myself.huh.gif

Anyway, congratulation for you. I wish all the best in your future studies at McMaster.

Thanks for the update.

Nothing from McMaster! In response to my email they told me that given the University's resources, it does take a little longer to determine levels of support available for international students such as myself.huh.gif

Anyway, congratulation for you. I wish all the best in your future studies at McMaster.

Thanks! Best of luck to you too!

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Best of luck to you too!

Hi again,

Finally I received an offer of admission from McMaster ($8,000 Scholarship + $10,244 TA-ship). However, I have to pay full tuition fee (about $15,000) plus health insurance costs for two persons (my wife and I)!!! I thought I would get some sort of tuition waiver.huh.gif Do you have any idea in this regard? Can I get a tuition waiver or reduction, if not now then perhaps in the 2nd year, 3rd and 4th year? If not, most likely I cannot accept the offer.

thanks.

Hi again,

Finally I received an offer of admission from McMaster ($8,000 Scholarship + $10,244 TA-ship). However, I have to pay full tuition fee (about $15,000) plus health insurance costs for two persons (my wife and I)!!! I thought I would get some sort of tuition waiver.huh.gif Do you have any idea in this regard? Can I get a tuition waiver or reduction, if not now then perhaps in the 2nd year, 3rd and 4th year? If not, most likely I cannot accept the offer.

thanks.

Oddly enough, I hadn't checked this board in a while, but figured I'd do so on a whim today. I'll answer you via PM, if that's okay.

Hi aselfmadewinter,

I have been offered the same scholarship with Hope313. And I have a similar concern with Hope 313. Do you mind sharing your thought in public? I also want to hear your thought. If this does not work for you, please PM me as well. Thanks!!

Oddly enough, I hadn't checked this board in a while, but figured I'd do so on a whim today. I'll answer you via PM, if that's okay.

Hi aselfmadewinter,

I have been offered the same scholarship with Hope313. And I have a similar concern with Hope 313. Do you mind sharing your thought in public? I also want to hear your thought. If this does not work for you, please PM me as well. Thanks!!

I'll PM you some advice as well, if that's okay.

Hopefully I'll see you both at McMaster next year. I'm getting excited about September now.

Edited by aselfmadewinter