Religion/Theology PhD Results 2011

calluther

Just got my rejection from Princeton Seminary in the mail. I know one of the wait-listed people....and their stats....kind of want to throw up in my mouth a bit right now.

Why? Really good stats, or not what you would expect?

Why? Really good stats, or not what you would expect?

Said person has OK stats. Far different research interests than my own. Different reasons for wanting to attend than my own. It's hard not to take this stuff personally, but when I weigh my application against said persons -- it makes me wonder "what happened?"

I'm getting bummed. I'm 0 for 2 presently and it doesn't look good.

The McGill offer was very substantial. Enough for my friend to accept almost immediately and withdraw his other apps.

Emory has apparently sent out initial offers and initial rejections. I know that process is a bit different from other schools. I have not received either, nor have I received a call for an interview. I am keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

And yes, I have applied to do theological studies.

Did you interview at Emory in TS? I interviewed and haven't heard back from them either, although I've heard from 3 of my other 4 schools - some great offers!

February 24: received offer from Yale, Religious Studies.

Thanks for the update and a big congratulations to you! I didn't think I would get an offer, but I was still holding my breath.

I assume they called you?

And may I ask which specification?

I applied to theology programs. My stats so far are

waitlist UVA

waitlist PTS

rejection Duke PhD

rejection Duke ThD

rejection Vandy (found out yesterday)

still waiting Harvaard, Yale, Notre Dame

How did you find out about Vandy?

I received an offer of admission to Marquette last night (unfortunately I am waitlisted for funding). I am waitlisted at Loyola Chicago as well.

Grace and peace,

Hermeneut (Joe)

I received an offer of admission to Marquette last night (unfortunately I am waitlisted for funding). I am waitlisted at Loyola Chicago as well.

Grace and peace,

Hermeneut (Joe)

If it makes you feel any better in these early stages, Joe, I was likewise accepted/$waitlisted to Marquette and I'm almost certainly tossing that offer back. So one less person for you to split funds with, if it comes to that.

How common is it for schools to let people who are on a waiting list know about it? I'm still waiting to hear from a school that I know has made some offers but has also sent out a bunch of rejection letters. Surely they wouldn't just reject you without letting you know. Why would they send rejection letters to some but not to others? On the other hand, why wouldn't they let me know that I'm on the waiting list if that's the case?

Edited by Philologus

How common is it for schools to let people who are on a waiting list know about it? I'm still waiting to hear from a school that I know has made some offers but has also sent out a bunch of rejection letters. Surely they wouldn't just reject you without letting you know. Why would they send rejection letters to some but not to others? On the other hand, why wouldn't they let me know that I'm on the waiting list if that's the case?

Either they're trying to make a decision on where to put you or they might just have an unofficial waitlist, in which case they can't notify you b/c that designation technically doesn't exist, they're just still making decisions.

On 2/27/2011 at 1:46 PM, Lib(eration) Theologian said:

Either they're trying to make a decision on where to put you or they might just have an unofficial waitlist, in which case they can't notify you b/c that designation technically doesn't exist, they're just still making decisions.

Thanks for your response! I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. :)

I've applied to Hebrew Bible/NELC type programs. Here's what I've got so far:

Rejected:

UCLA - via email/online admissions decision

Penn St

Princeton

Still waiting to hear from:

Johns Hopkins

Chicago - a friend of mine was accepted into the Northwest Semitic Philology program there, with funding, so my chances here are slim

NYU

Vandy

Michigan

Accepted:

Wisconsin (with 2 year university fellowship and opportunity for more funding through the Hebrew and Semitic Studies dept.)

If you got a funding offer from Michigan, I think you have a good shot at some of those other programs, but I think Chicago has sent out all their packages for Hebrew Bible/NELC. I have a friend here in Seattle that was also offerred a place there. They made all their offers by phone. That said, perhaps you are on some sort of informal wait list.

Good luck! And congrats on the offer that you've received so far!

U Penn decisions are out. Check your e-mail.

I just got my rejection. Wasn't a good fit for me, but maybe one of you guys with other focus are waiting expectantly.

Update from here

Fellowships offerred from: U. Texas and Rice

Rejected: Princeton :(, Brown, Penn

Waiting: Indiana (probably rejected; I think they have notified their candidates), Harvard, Yale

I'm having trouble figuring out where I stand. I wasn't the best fit at any of the programs I've been rejected from, so I don't know if the rejections were based on my lack of qualification or simply because I don't fit with what they want. I feel like i fit well at Harvard and Yale, so I guess I'll find out in march.

Either way, I am very happy with Rice, and the UT program looks excellent. Will be a hard decision if I don't get into Harvard or Yale, which I would be stupid not accept due to the funding that those two programs have.

HEADS UP on Princeton. I've got a few friends there that know the admissions committee. Apparently, they have a new head of admissions, and she is emphasizing Hebrew. Starting this year, even for Early Christian and NT disciplines, they are only admitting students with at least two years of biblical Hebrew. Can anyone that got into Princeton this year confirm their level of Hebrew for this requirement?

HEADS UP on Princeton. I've got a few friends there that know the admissions committee. Apparently, they have a new head of admissions, and she is emphasizing Hebrew. Starting this year, even for Early Christian and NT disciplines, they are only admitting students with at least two years of biblical Hebrew. Can anyone that got into Princeton this year confirm their level of Hebrew for this requirement?

I assume you mean Princeton Seminary?

I assume you mean Princeton Seminary?

Nope, I'm referring to the PhDs through the Religious Studies program in the Graduate School. Like I said, this is just what I've been told by a friend at Princeton, but one my advisors has also talked to a couple faculty members and been told the same thing. I didn't ask specifically, but I know that my adviser is friends with Elaine Pagels, so it wouldn't surprise me if she was the source of the information. Let me emphasize, though, that I don't know for sure.

Nope, I'm referring to the PhDs through the Religious Studies program in the Graduate School. Like I said, this is just what I've been told by a friend at Princeton, but one my advisors has also talked to a couple faculty members and been told the same thing. I didn't ask specifically, but I know that my adviser is friends with Elaine Pagels, so it wouldn't surprise me if she was the source of the information. Let me emphasize, though, that I don't know for sure.

Why didn't you apply to Princeton Seminary? Their biblical studies department is much stronger than Princeton U.

Why didn't you apply to Princeton Seminary? Their biblical studies department is much stronger than Princeton U.

I thought about it, but my focus is mostly in Nag Hammadi and Coptic studies, so I opted for the big names at the U.

Has anyone received an acceptance to Duke's PhD program in Religion/Religious Studies? I know a bunch of rejections were posted on the results list last Monday, but I haven't seen any acceptances.... Just checking.... still waiting for my answer...

Has anyone received an acceptance to Duke's PhD program in Religion/Religious Studies? I know a bunch of rejections were posted on the results list last Monday, but I haven't seen any acceptances.... Just checking.... still waiting for my answer...

I'm in the same boat. I haven't received anything. I know for sure that they have had interviews and made some offers, though. Unofficial waiting list?