Religion/Theology PhD Results 2011

calluther

If you got a funding offer from Michigan, I think you have a good shot at some of those other programs, but I think Chicago has sent out all their packages for Hebrew Bible/NELC. I have a friend here in Seattle that was also offerred a place there. They made all their offers by phone. That said, perhaps you are on some sort of informal wait list.

Good luck! And congrats on the offer that you've received so far!

Thanks!

Actually, Chicago made their offer to my colleague via email instead of phone. Pardee shot him an email a few weeks ago letting him know he was in and that he got funding.

I figure I'm probably on a wait list at Michigan, Vandy, and Chicago. I expect to hear from NYU by the end of this week or next, unless I'm on some kind of wait list there as well. I visited NYU at the end of January, and Fleming told me that they make their decisions in the second half of February - which means the decisions have likely been made already.

Early Christianity. Are you in Islamic Studies?

Yeap. I was told that each subfield usually takes 1 student, and occasionally (but very rarely) do they take more than one per subfield, and there is some competition between subfields for their second-choice picks which makes a waitlist not applicable, or at least that is how it was explained to me. I met informally with a professor before I submitted my application and then spoke over the phone back in January, he wanted to size me up and see if I would accept an offer, because if the one student turns them down, they might not be in a position for their second choice. Somewhat complicated and antiquated system if you ask me.

Yeap. I was told that each subfield usually takes 1 student, and occasionally (but very rarely) do they take more than one per subfield, and there is some competition between subfields for their second-choice picks which makes a waitlist not applicable, or at least that is how it was explained to me. I met informally with a professor before I submitted my application and then spoke over the phone back in January, he wanted to size me up and see if I would accept an offer, because if the one student turns them down, they might not be in a position for their second choice. Somewhat complicated and antiquated system if you ask me.

So what do you think is going on with our applications?

No idea.

Received an email this morning from a professor at Duke, I am a "finalist" for my track. It seems that not all decisions have been made. We are having a phone conversation this evening.

Received an email this morning from a professor at Duke, I am a "finalist" for my track. It seems that not all decisions have been made. We are having a phone conversation this evening.

Awesome! I think I may call them tomorrow to ask if there is some kind of unofficial waiting list, since I know for sure that an offer has been made in my subfield but still haven't received a rejection.

Bummer, sorry to hear it. What other programs did you apply to? MA or PhD?

Rejected:

UCLA - via email/online admissions decision

Penn St

Princeton

Michigan - via email

Still waiting to hear from:

Johns Hopkins

Chicago - a friend of mine was accepted into the Northwest Semitic Philology program there, with funding, so my chances here are slim

NYU

Vandy

Accepted:

Wisconsin (with 2 year university fellowship and opportunity for more funding through the Hebrew and Semitic Studies dept.)

The pressure feels like its starting to mount.

Yale notifications are up.

I was DEEEEEENIED!

oh well, haha. Waiting on Harvard, and then accepting my offer to UT or Rice

I hear you. I'm American and got an email with info from Dr. Kroeker there, but that is it. Since then, basically no info. The late notice is not helping them in the decision process!

Has anyone heard anything from McMaster yet? I'm just about decided on where I'm going to go, but it'd be nice to know all of my options before deciding. I know most of the people on this board are American, but if there's any Canadians here other than me, has McMaster sent out ANYTHING yet?

Accepted: Fuller (with a fellowship)

Unofficial word: McMaster (admission into M.A., on track to PhD after a year)

No word: Dayton, Baylor (what's taking them so long?)

Rejected: Duke (ThD), Marquette, Notre Dame

I assume I'm waitlisted at Baylor since I haven't heard anything, but who knows. I do wonder how long Dayton will take to notify; anyone have an idea about this?

I hear you. I'm American and got an email with info from Dr. Kroeker there, but that is it. Since then, basically no info. The late notice is not helping them in the decision process!

Ugh, all I've heard from McMaster was what I got back after e-mailing them about my admission status, which was essentially, "Don't accept any offers til you've heard from us", but nothing on my status or the timeline, wich makes me think that the decisions haven't really been made yet. That's particularly bad for them, since some of the other Canadian schools want answers before the end of March. Do you mind me asking what you have heard from them?

I'd like to at least hear back from all of my schools before I have to make a decision.

Sure thing; I'm with you on wanting to hear, but it could be a photo finish.

Basically what I heard was I was a strong candidate and they wanted to admit me but since my Master's is an M.Div., they could not admit me straight into the PhD program. The email was solely meant to gather information and gauge whether I would "be open" to taking an offer of admission into the M.A. program with the understanding that after one year (I guess of proving my chops) I would be transferred over into the PhD program. This, of course, raises issues of funding, as the MA isn't funded while the PhD is, but whatever. I said I'm "open" to it, and that was the last I'd heard. I saw somewhere March 15th (or did I dream that up), so I think we shouldn't be holding our breath for anything before that.

Now can I ask, what concentration did you apply to work within at McMaster, and where else have you applied?

Ugh, all I've heard from McMaster was what I got back after e-mailing them about my admission status, which was essentially, "Don't accept any offers til you've heard from us", but nothing on my status or the timeline, wich makes me think that the decisions haven't really been made yet. That's particularly bad for them, since some of the other Canadian schools want answers before the end of March. Do you mind me asking what you have heard from them?

I'd like to at least hear back from all of my schools before I have to make a decision.

Sure thing; I'm with you on wanting to hear, but it could be a photo finish.

Basically what I heard was I was a strong candidate and they wanted to admit me but since my Master's is an M.Div., they could not admit me straight into the PhD program. The email was solely meant to gather information and gauge whether I would "be open" to taking an offer of admission into the M.A. program with the understanding that after one year (I guess of proving my chops) I would be transferred over into the PhD program. This, of course, raises issues of funding, as the MA isn't funded while the PhD is, but whatever. I said I'm "open" to it, and that was the last I'd heard. I saw somewhere March 15th (or did I dream that up), so I think we shouldn't be holding our breath for anything before that.

Now can I ask, what concentration did you apply to work within at McMaster, and where else have you applied?

My area is New Testament, specifically synoptic gospels. I only applied to Canadian schools, and then only to the ones that have strong New Testament research, so Toronto (to two programs, both Theology and Religion), McGill, UBC, McMaster, and Alberta. I've been accepted at Toronto for Theology, McGill, and UBC. To be entirely honest, since all three of those schools are rated higher than McMaster, I'm not entirely sure that I would go there if I was accepted, but Westerholm would be a great guy to work with, and the funding at both McGill and Toronto is pretty difficult to get by on, while McMaster has great funding for PhDs. If I get in and get a good offer *shrug*... it'd be a good option to consider, but it wouldn't be too much of a problem if I didn't.

EDIT: I don't remember anything about March 15, but I just looked at when acceptances went out in previous years, and they're around that time. So, you're probably right.

Edited by aselfmadewinter

De-lurking to add my 2 cents so far

Duke - rejected

Emory - rejected

UNC - rejected

Waiting on:

Notre Dame (emailed them today and they said I'm not a finalist but I'm being held in limbo until they get decisions from other people)

Syracuse (emailed them today and they said it would be a couple of weeks)

Temple (same email, they said I'd be hearing something in the mail over the next week)

Indiana (their website says it will be a while, so I'm not bugging them yet)

Acceptances: 0

My interest is new religious traditions, so I'm a little oddball. I think that's why I'm getting punted, even though I have ridiculous numbers and teaching experience. It was very hard to find programs that had anything that could remotely fit. I haven't worked up the nerve yet to call the rejectors and ask them what the problem was for my next time around.

Good luck!

What a shitty week.

Rejected by Princeton, Yale GDR, Emory GDR, and Vanderbilt. Looks like I'm screwed this round for PHD options... University of Chicago is all I have left out of my 6 applications and there's no way in HELL that I'm ending up there. I still have 2 M.div programs to wait on, sadly, since that was a PLAN B. Looks like I'm destined to not teach for a while...despite journal publications, working FOR a journal, great grades, years of teaching experience...what a crap shoot. I want my thousand dollars worth of applications back! I need it for moving!

De-lurking to add my 2 cents so far

Duke - rejected

Emory - rejected

UNC - rejected

Waiting on:

Notre Dame (emailed them today and they said I'm not a finalist but I'm being held in limbo until they get decisions from other people)

Syracuse (emailed them today and they said it would be a couple of weeks)

Temple (same email, they said I'd be hearing something in the mail over the next week)

Indiana (their website says it will be a while, so I'm not bugging them yet)

Acceptances: 0

My interest is new religious traditions, so I'm a little oddball. I think that's why I'm getting punted, even though I have ridiculous numbers and teaching experience. It was very hard to find programs that had anything that could remotely fit. I haven't worked up the nerve yet to call the rejectors and ask them what the problem was for my next time around.

Good luck!

What a shitty week.

Rejected by Princeton, Yale GDR, Emory GDR, and Vanderbilt. Looks like I'm screwed this round for PHD options... University of Chicago is all I have left out of my 6 applications and there's no way in HELL that I'm ending up there. I still have 2 M.div programs to wait on, sadly, since that was a PLAN B. Looks like I'm destined to not teach for a while...despite journal publications, working FOR a journal, great grades, years of teaching experience...what a crap shoot. I want my thousand dollars worth of applications back! I need it for moving!

Unfortunately, your teaching experience doesn't mean diddly on your application. The way they see it - everybody will get teaching experience in their programs. The publications might help - but it really depends on what journals you've been published in. If it's confessional (e.g., Stone Campbell Journal) - that might hurt you more than it could help you.

Unfortunately, your teaching experience doesn't mean diddly on your application. The way they see it - everybody will get teaching experience in their programs. The publications might help - but it really depends on what journals you've been published in. If it's confessional (e.g., Stone Campbell Journal) - that might hurt you more than it could help you.

Not confessional.

Doing editing for a journal should have helped too, as it was a spot that post-grad program only offers to one student in a competitive pool (I beat out the PHDS for it, booyah!). The teaching should have made some difference -- but not much (ANE language courses). Yes, everyone gets teaching experience. It depends if it can be related to your discipline or not, and it is. It's unfortunate that this is such a crap shoot. I was told not to take any rejections personally, but it doesn't make it any easier to go about it with a cold, disconnected attitude. Regardless, I hope you guys who have 2-3 programs to pick between get hit by a truck! hah!

Emailed Claremont Graduate University Women's Studies in Religion program. Got an acceptance email back almost right away.

Also got my Harvard Ph.D. rejection in the mail today. Was my top choice.

Still waiting on UT Austin and Northwestern.

Edited by suzzzanna