Safety School Rejects

Lolita

I've noticed a theme of people getting rejected from their safety schools, schools for which they are more than qualified. Then, people console them with stories of people being rejected from their safety school but accepted into a first choice. Is it possible that our applications just scream "You are my safety school?"

I've noticed a theme of people getting rejected from their safety schools, schools for which they are more than qualified. Then, people console them with stories of people being rejected from their safety school but accepted into a first choice. Is it possible that our applications just scream "You are my safety school?"

That's a good point. I think for me it was that my interests and skills weren't as good a fit at my "safety" school. I use quotes because I figured there was a chance I wouldn't get in anywhere, even that school.

Well, there's also the issue that "Man Bites Dog" is bigger news than "Dog Bites Man." People don't tend to express shock or complain as strongly at being rejected from reach schools, and other people reading their posts or listening to their rants don't notice those rejections as much.

There is no such thing as a safety school in graduate admissions IMO. You either fit, or you don't fit. So I'm not sure what you're defining a safety school as, but if it has to do with rank, or tier, or that its a lesser known school in the field.... yes if you're applying and the fit isn't right, they can tell. They know the other departments and professors in your field, and they know where you fit the best.

Schools don't reject people because they are overqualified. They will gladly extend an offer to someone with qualifications far above their typical student. They can always turn to the wait list if the person doesn't accept.

To be pedantic, I know law schools do. A friend of mine was rejected outright by a school who noted that he will likely get into a much better school.

I'm only in at my safety school so far.

If I may add, my two cents, I would suggest that there is no such thing as a safety school. It's all about fit. At least in history programs. One can have a perfect GRE score, two honors research thesis and great letters of recommendation. But if there is no "fit" or connection between the program and the applicant one will not be accepted. That's why it's important to apply to a wide range if schools.