What about the reputation of UC Berkeley?

hiscoba

My own 2 cents: I lived a year and a half in Berkeley and survived on an Americorps stipend (comes out to $12,000/yr post taxes - just filed 'em wink.gif) and it wasn't all fun and games but it was doable. I lived in two different places, and the most I paid for rent was $650 (my own room.) Now was that the norm? Not necessarily. Are places close to campus expensive? Hell yes. But I lived in two nice apartments and commuting (especially with BART) made it doable.

However, joenobody DOES have a point - it wasn't a reasonable standard of living. I don't think anyone should live as frugally as I did and call it the "norm." A taxed $17.5 stipend for 9 months = VERY frugal. Loans might be a necessity. Or move to Oakland and BART biggrin.gif

I actually live in Oakland now, and it's much cheaper than Berkeley. To anyone who's reading this and thinking of trying to make a go with a 17.5k stipend, let me give you some points of advice (as a 5 year Berkeley resident).

• Forget about living on northside.
  • Try to find a place on the west side of town. University and San Pablo is a good location. The bus runs right up University and comes fairly often.
  • If you can't swing University and San Pablo, try looking North on San Pablo. The bus runs up/down San Pablo and then up to campus on University.
  • Take a look at the west side. Past Parker might me a little more affordable. The area is filled with UG students though.
  • Try Oakland but be aware that there are some really horrible parts of town (30th and MLK I'm looking at you), and you might not like walking to/from the bus at night.

I'm not trying to be a bummer. I just want people to have a real idea of what they're getting into. I know I had no idea when I moved up.

Anyone who wants more specific info shoot me a PM (if this forum supports it).

Edited by joenobody0

I actually live in Oakland now, and it's much cheaper than Berkeley. To anyone who's reading this and thinking of trying to make a go with a 17.5k stipend, let me give you some points of advice (as a 5 year Berkeley resident).

• Forget about living on northside.
  • Try to find a place on the west side of town. University and San Pablo is a good location. The bus runs right up University and comes fairly often.
  • If you can't swing University and San Pablo, try looking North on San Pablo. The bus runs up/down San Pablo and then up to campus on University.
  • Take a look at the west side. Past Parker might me a little more affordable. The area is filled with UG students though.
  • Try Oakland but be aware that there are some really horrible parts of town (30th and MLK I'm looking at you), and you might not like walking to/from the bus at night.

I'm not trying to be a bummer. I just want people to have a real idea of what they're getting into. I know I had no idea when I moved up.

Anyone who wants more specific info shoot me a PM (if this forum supports it).

Great advice! I'm in the Lake Merritt area right now :) It's good to be real - I was just saying that it is "doable," as I've been living it!

Edit: But your 5yrs trumps mine - wish I had talked to someone like you before I moved here in 2009 and realized the costs.

Edited by skeedy

Hey guys, thank you for the great tips! This thread has been really helpful.

I've recently been accepted to the Psychology program at Berkeley, and I've been told by faculty that the yearly stipend can be up to 25000 per year including guaranteed summer funding. 17.5k a year sounds tough, but would 22k~25k a year support a "reasonable" standard of living in Berkeley? Reasonable as in being able to eat out 3 or 4 times a week, having one's own room, not having to live in a dangerous/sketchy neighborhood, etc. I would really appreciate your insight! Thanks! :)

Hey guys, thank you for the great tips! This thread has been really helpful.

I've recently been accepted to the Psychology program at Berkeley, and I've been told by faculty that the yearly stipend can be up to 25000 per year including guaranteed summer funding. 17.5k a year sounds tough, but would 22k~25k a year support a "reasonable" standard of living in Berkeley? Reasonable as in being able to eat out 3 or 4 times a week, having one's own room, not having to live in a dangerous/sketchy neighborhood, etc. I would really appreciate your insight! Thanks! :)

I was awarded 27.5K (including summer) tax free 4-5 years ago. I lived comfortably, though I didn't save money (I was less responsible back then). My rent was ~$1025 and I ate out a lot. I think you could get by fine on 22K-25K, especially if you are willing to live with people (with your own room though).

Make sure that amount of money lasts for the duration of your studies. My fellowship lasted two years. After that... 17.5K.

Edited by joenobody0