NYU

dlb89

I think NYU might be going through the same thing as UPenn right now. My guess is the department has made the decisions, but the decisions need to be approved by the graduate school (GSAS at NYU). I emailed my POI and he told me they won't have the final list until morning.

Persiandoc might have his information early because he is international (and giving him extra time gives him extra time for a Visa).

Geeze. I accepted that I was rejected because I hadn't heard anything. Now there's a slight glimmer of hope, but I'm trying to not think about this too much...

Hi mate,

You're somewhat right about that. My POI said they sent my name up to the GSAS and they've approved my name and admission but I still don't have my official letter and the related instructions whatsoever to accept my offer officially. I've been told I could get the letter by the end of this week. I'm not in rush actually as I'm also waiting to hear from Yale,

Cheers,

I think NYU might be going through the same thing as UPenn right now. My guess is the department has made the decisions, but the decisions need to be approved by the graduate school (GSAS at NYU). I emailed my POI and he told me they won't have the final list until morning.

Persiandoc might have his information early because he is international (and giving him extra time gives him extra time for a Visa).

I have some bad news:

I contacted the grad secretary. Apparently, all accepted and waitlisted applicants have been notified. If you have not heard anything by now, you've been rejected (this includes me). Sorry guys! Congrats to those who received an acceptance :)

I have some bad news:

I contacted the grad secretary. Apparently, all accepted and waitlisted applicants have been notified. If you have not heard anything by now, you've been rejected (this includes me). Sorry guys! Congrats to those who received an acceptance :)

oh no!! that´s horrible news! But what about PhysAnthApp?? you were practically accepted, right? were you notified already?

I have some bad news:

My POI told me he would email me back today morning... I received no email. I would think if I was rejected he would have told me last night... I am hoping he just forgot...

Edited by PhysAnthApp

Gah... I am supposed to be working on my honors thesis right now... I am just too tense to get anything done. I think I am going to work from home today.

Update: just got a rejection................

I'm really sorry to hear this. What about the other schools you applied to? Keep your chin up!!

I'm really sorry to hear this. What about the other schools you applied to? Keep your chin up!!

I am in at Florida (BioAnth) and might be in at UIUC (PEEC). It is not the end of the world, but I was really "in love" with NYU. I might be on the waitlist (find out Monday). I really hope I am lower-numbered.

I am not convinced all WL people were notified

Edited by PhysAnthApp

Oh mate,

I'm really sorry to hear this. How did you find out you were rejected? I wish you'd be on the waitlist,

I am in at Florida (BioAnth) and might be in at UIUC (PEEC). It is not the end of the world, but I was really "in love" with NYU. I might be on the waitlist (find out Monday). I really hope I am lower-numbered.

I am not convinced all WL people were notified

Oh mate,

I'm really sorry to hear this. How did you find out you were rejected? I wish you'd be on the waitlist,

POI told me he would email me in the morning, when he didn't, I emailed him back around 2:30 PST (5:30 EST). He told me they didn't have a spot for me. I asked him if I could be put on the wait list; he said he will ask the chair where on the wait list I would fall.

This basically has bummed out my whole weekend. If I somehow make it off the WL, I will accept immediately, but I have no clue if I am high enough on the list of having a chance.

There is one central wait list, so a social person who says no benefits me as much as another biological person who says no.

To anyone reading this who has already decided against NYU and is either admitted or WL'ed, I ask you to please decline as soon as possible.

any NYU admits?

I think this year is a fluke and none of the admitted or wait-list students actively post here. Past years included multiple acceptances and wait-lists. This year it is just you for the former (and possibly me for the latter).

I wonder how long of a wait list they run. One of the old results made it sound like only three people get wait listed.

Hi friend,

How it like you're still not sure if waitlisted? If you're waitlisted, you should be happy they made offers to three only. Isn't it like the fewer the better?

I think this year is a fluke and none of the admitted or wait-list students actively post here. Past years included multiple acceptances and wait-lists. This year it is just you for the former (and possibly me for the latter).

I wonder how long of a wait list they run. One of the old results made it sound like only three people get wait listed.

Hi friend,

How it like you're still not sure if waitlisted? If you're waitlisted, you should be happy they made offers to three only. Isn't it like the fewer the better?

Basically I emailed the POI, he responded that they couldn't offer me admission; then I emailed him back and asked if I could be put on the wait list. He responded he will ask chair where I would be on the wait list. Saturday morning the chair responded to an email I sent him early Friday morning (a.k.a. Thursday night) saying I was rejected making no mention to me being wait listed. The "would" is kind of cryptic, and I interpret it to mean one of the following.

A. I am on the list already and the chair somehow neglected to mention that in his email to me (very low chance)

B. he can try to get me put on to the wait list and succeed. (moderate chance)

C. he can try to get me put on to the wait list and fail. (moderate chance)

I was interviewed, meaning I was a semi-finalist. I would presume interviewed students would get at least wait-listed. With most professors my interviews went decently, so it is not like I totally bombed it.

A smaller WL benefits me pretty much for A or B. My guess is if I am added to the wait list my guess is that I would be at the end.

Edited by PhysAnthApp

Basically I emailed the POI, he responded that they couldn't offer me admission; then I emailed him back and asked if I could be put on the wait list. He responded he will ask chair where I would be on the wait list. Saturday morning the chair responded to an email I sent him early Friday morning (a.k.a. Thursday night) saying I was rejected making no mention to me being wait listed. The "would" is kind of cryptic, and I interpret it to mean one of the following.

A. I am on the list already and the chair somehow neglected to mention that in his email to me (very low chance)

B. he can try to get me put on to the wait list and succeed. (moderate chance)

C. he can try to get me put on to the wait list and fail. (moderate chance)

I was interviewed, meaning I was a semi-finalist. I would presume interviewed students would get at least wait-listed. With most professors my interviews went decently, so it is not like I totally bombed it.

A smaller WL benefits me pretty much for A or B. My guess is if I am added to the wait list my guess is that I would be at the end.

a prof has said that they offered admission to seven applicants but (because they expect and anticipate that 2-3 of those applicants will decline the offer of admission) three applicants have to decline their offers before they start offering admission to folks on the wait list. in effect, they feel most comfortable being able to financially support 5 students but extended more offers than the five spots they truly have in order to account for offer-decline rates.

a prof has said that they offered admission to seven applicants but (because they expect and anticipate that 2-3 of those applicants will decline the offer of admission) three applicants have to decline their offers before they start offering admission to folks on the wait list. in effect, they feel most comfortable being able to financially support 5 students but extended more offers than the five spots they truly have in order to account for offer-decline rates.

I have been told specifically that they admitted exactly 10 people and that four of the 10 are bioanth. I'm not sure where are you getting 7.

the 7 are sociocultural. info from a prof on adcom.

it was kind of misleading to just say only seven students were admitting without qualifying that you meant sociocultural only considering many people who post here are in other subfields.

Anyways, I still doubt your data.

I have told multiple times that they only admitted 10 people and I've been told multiple times that they admitted 4 bioanth. The numbers don't add up. I think your source might mean 6, not 7. Someone else has posted that there were 6 sociocultural admits.

Also, I have been told there is one department-wide wait list. If the first person on the wait list is of one subfield, the person they pull off the wait list can be of any of the subfields.

it was kind of misleading to just say only seven students were admitting without qualifying that you meant sociocultural only considering many people who post here are in other subfields.

Anyways, I still doubt your data.

I have told multiple times that they only admitted 10 people and I've been told multiple times that they admitted 4 bioanth. The numbers don't add up. I think your source might mean 6, not 7. Someone else has posted that there were 6 sociocultural admits.

Also, I have been told there is one department-wide wait list. If the first person on the wait list is of one subfield, the person they pull off the wait list can be of any of the subfields.

you can doubt whatever you want. just trying to be helpful! i'm sorry you weren't accepted; try not to be so snotty/butthurt. i mean, seriously- you don't have to be rude.

and i stand by the prof-given info that i posted. they have no reason to lie to me-- i'm a student-colleague happy in my anthro program!

you can doubt whatever you want. just trying to be helpful! i'm sorry you weren't accepted; try not to be so snotty/butthurt. i mean, seriously- you don't have to be rude.

and i stand by the prof-given info that i posted. they have no reason to lie to me-- i'm a student-colleague happy in my anthro program!

I didn't mean to sound rude or insinuate that professors are lying to you or the you are lying.

I am just saying, I have been told over and over again by both my POI as well as the chair of the department that they admitted four bioanth students and 10 students total, leading me to doubt your data. There may be a miscommunication somewhere in the pipeline. I'm just saying, I think the number your source meant was 6 (because that is the only way this would add up).

Profs lie all the time to avoid awkward situation. Plus the difference looks like one student. Maybe the accepted 7 and only have really want 6. Programs do admit one or more extra at times to avoid getting turned down and the top alternate accepting another offer.

Profs lie all the time to avoid awkward situation. Plus the difference looks like one student. Maybe the accepted 7 and only have really want 6. Programs do admit one or more extra at times to avoid getting turned down and the top alternate accepting another offer.

true, true. and regardless about the number, it's still relevant that a more than one person would have to decline their offer before they turn to the wait list. that was more my point anyway.