NYU

dlb89

I've realized that there are a lot of applicants (myself included) who have applied to NYU's PhD in sociocultural anthropology program. It doesn't seem like anyone has heard anything thus far.

I thought it might be nice to have a separate topic for those of us who are waiting to hear from NYU. Initially, we were told that successful applicants would be notified by February 18th. Now it seems like we should be hearing by February 25th. For sociocultural, they are admitting 6 students.

So, the big question is...has anyone heard from NYU?!

has anyone tried emailing their POI? I did, but I have not gotten any response. Are all the professors staying hush?

I thought about this, but I'm a bit too terrified. What did you say when you e-mailed your POI? Did you straight up ask whether you had been admitted?

I've realized that there are a lot of applicants (myself included) who have applied to NYU's PhD in sociocultural anthropology program. It doesn't seem like anyone has heard anything thus far.

I thought it might be nice to have a separate topic for those of us who are waiting to hear from NYU. Initially, we were told that successful applicants would be notified by February 18th. Now it seems like we should be hearing by February 25th. For sociocultural, they are admitting 6 students.

So, the big question is...has anyone heard from NYU?!

I haven´t heard anything either, I thought we were supposed to be notified from mid to late March, by mail...

Hey guys,

I'm also included in your recruit! What a life! They make you get many years older before they notify you of the final list. I'm so tense guys! I only get partially good news from different schools. No words of acceptance yet!

Cheers

My gut feeling says that there is a serious fight in there over which applicant to take. I've not heard this from anyone but I could kinda tell! They were to make notifications much earlier,

I'm dying of stress particularly when I know they'd take up only 6 (the cursed number) and I can predict I'd end up 7 if I'm lucky to the extreme.

By the way, I hope your dream would come true,

sad times...

I think i'm going crazy. I had a dream last night that I got into NYU, but woke up to keep on playin' the waiting game.

Sigh.

Now did you see any of us in your dream there with you?? ;)

Of course! Just like in the Wizard of Oz: "You were there, and you were there, and you, and you, and you!"

Actually I was reading the letter in my dream and it said I was accepted, and then it sort of turned into jibberish (which is apparently what always happens when you read in a dream, or so I've heard). I could maybe be hopeful and take the admission dream as a premonition, but the jibberish part would still be worrying!

Good luck guys, thanks for not judging me!!!!

Of course! Just like in the Wizard of Oz: "You were there, and you were there, and you, and you, and you!"

Actually I was reading the letter in my dream and it said I was accepted, and then it sort of turned into jibberish (which is apparently what always happens when you read in a dream, or so I've heard). I could maybe be hopeful and take the admission dream as a premonition, but the jibberish part would still be worrying!

Good luck guys, thanks for not judging me!!!!

I´d go for premonition!!! good luck to everyone!!

Last week the grad sec told me that decisions would be made by the 18th and revealed on the 25th.

Assuming there are serious fights is over-reading. There me some other reason for delaying release one week.

25th sounds great! but then we´d still have to wait for decisions to be mailed, right? or are acceptances emailed and rejections mailed?

25th sounds great! but then we´d still have to wait for decisions to be mailed, right? or are acceptances emailed and rejections mailed?

I was told to email the chair (who is not my POI) for the final decision.

Note: I am a biological anthropology applicant, the chair (Harrison) is bio too. You guys probably should just email the grad sec for details for the other subfields, because I don't know if Harrison has info on the admits from the other subfields.

Anyone have any clue how many sociocultural applicants apply? I know it's pretty much an impossible acceptance, but sometimes I'd like to know the degree of impossibility.

I'm wondering this same thing. Do we know how many applied last year? We could always guesstimate this year based on last year's numbers...

It appears one professor broke the silence. On the other thread persiandoc said they got in.

This is making me tenser. I sent an email to my POI on Friday, but I don't know if the email just got missed (it was a long weekend after all) or purposely ignored. I was banking on the latter, but now that someone got in...

Hey lovely friends,

I'm feeling for all of you. I was surprised to get the news in the morning. I was still in my bed checking emails on mobile. I got the tile good news and I told myself I'd have been waitlisted again and again. Fortunately my POI had the word of acceptance in the beginning of their email followed by details. I wish you'd get in particularly those who have missed their chances on other schools. Plz let me know if you ever get waitlisted.

I got another email from CUNY announcing I was waitlisted. I declined it straight away for those who may still dream of getting in CUNY. I'll be sleeping on my NYU's offer and looking forward to hearing from Yale too. That would be the toughest decision I'll have to make if I'm admitted by Yale. That's the possibility anyway, that's why I'm telling you to keep me informed of your wait list offers. The good news is I'll have to decide quite immediately as I need to apply for my visa from outside Iran and that's a huge hassle!

wish you all the best,

I think NYU might be going through the same thing as UPenn right now. My guess is the department has made the decisions, but the decisions need to be approved by the graduate school (GSAS at NYU). I emailed my POI and he told me they won't have the final list until morning.

Persiandoc might have his information early because he is international (and giving him extra time gives him extra time for a Visa).