Fletcher MIB

braindead

Right,

As the topic says 'Best of both the worlds' I am not really sure where to post this question - in this forum or in the business forum. Now if as little a thing as posting this question can create a dilemma, you can imagine the dilemma one would face while choosing this program! So, I 've applied to the MIB program at Fletcher and am not sure whether I would want to take it up if I get selected. Several of my friends who are studying at renowned B-Schools opine that with such graduate programs that offer best of both the worlds (in this case business and international affairs) you can be sure to land up nowhere.

The reasons I like the Fletcher MIB are as follows :-

1. Fletcher has a great student body, faculty and offers great support (career and otherwise) to the students

2. The curriculum excites me a lot

The reasons I am skeptical about MIB are: -

1. It's not a regular MBA or MALD/MIA program

2. Recruiters may be wary about the program

My future goals: -

1. Short term - Work in private sector consulting firm (in a specialized industry vertical - finance/economics)

2. Long term - Return home and work as an advisor to the government

Any thoughts over this?

Right,

As the topic says 'Best of both the worlds' I am not really sure where to post this question - in this forum or in the business forum. Now if as little a thing as posting this question can create a dilemma, you can imagine the dilemma one would face while choosing this program! So, I 've applied to the MIB program at Fletcher and am not sure whether I would want to take it up if I get selected. Several of my friends who are studying at renowned B-Schools opine that with such graduate programs that offer best of both the worlds (in this case business and international affairs) you can be sure to land up nowhere.

The reasons I like the Fletcher MIB are as follows :-

1. Fletcher has a great student body, faculty and offers great support (career and otherwise) to the students

2. The curriculum excites me a lot

The reasons I am skeptical about MIB are: -

1. It's not a regular MBA or MALD/MIA program

2. Recruiters may be wary about the program

My future goals: -

1. Short term - Work in private sector consulting firm (in a specialized industry vertical - finance/economics)

2. Long term - Return home and work as an advisor to the government

Any thoughts over this?

You obviously have a good grasp of the pros (great school and program) and cons (the consequences of the program being non-traditional and relatively new, if I remember correctly).

Judging from the MIB class of 2010 employment data from the Fletcher website, it does look, though, that students seem to be successful in finding jobs in both private sector work as well as the type of public sector work in which you express interest in the long-term. I'd say that, given the above, Fletcher would be a great fit for you. (As with any program, though, you always need to be skeptical of whether those students got those private-sector jobs due to what the program offered, or the private sector experience that the students already had.)

In addition to Fletcher's MIB program, out of the list of schools that you've applied to, I'd say that the program that jumps out at me as making sense given your career goals is SIPA's International Finance and Economic Policy concentration (though that might be an effect of knowing more about SIPA as a Columbia alum / SIPA admit... I'd be curious to hear what other people think about the other programs that braindead lists). Though it's not a concentration that I've researched in depth, I recall reading that the finance coursework that the International Finance track offers exceeds the depth that a general MBA would offer, with the added benefits of being able to take one Columbia Business School class a semester (pending prereqs) and being able to work/network with prospective employers in the city.

Given how informed you seem to be, I'm sure you've already done this, but in addition to the finance/B-school coursework that the various programs allow you to take, I'd say take a look at the various schools' employment data (% graduates going into private sector jobs, in addition to past employers), and then wait around for admissions/funding decisions and make your decision accordingly.

You obviously have a good grasp of the pros (great school and program) and cons (the consequences of the program being non-traditional and relatively new, if I remember correctly).

Judging from the MIB class of 2010 employment data from the Fletcher website, it does look, though, that students seem to be successful in finding jobs in both private sector work as well as the type of public sector work in which you express interest in the long-term. I'd say that, given the above, Fletcher would be a great fit for you. (As with any program, though, you always need to be skeptical of whether those students got those private-sector jobs due to what the program offered, or the private sector experience that the students already had.)

In addition to Fletcher's MIB program, out of the list of schools that you've applied to, I'd say that the program that jumps out at me as making sense given your career goals is SIPA's International Finance and Economic Policy concentration (though that might be an effect of knowing more about SIPA as a Columbia alum / SIPA admit... I'd be curious to hear what other people think about the other programs that braindead lists). Though it's not a concentration that I've researched in depth, I recall reading that the finance coursework that the International Finance track offers exceeds the depth that a general MBA would offer, with the added benefits of being able to take one Columbia Business School class a semester (pending prereqs) and being able to work/network with prospective employers in the city.

Given how informed you seem to be, I'm sure you've already done this, but in addition to the finance/B-school coursework that the various programs allow you to take, I'd say take a look at the various schools' employment data (% graduates going into private sector jobs, in addition to past employers), and then wait around for admissions/funding decisions and make your decision accordingly.

Hi Greendiplomat,

Thanks a lot for the reply. In fact Columbia SIPA is on the top of my list, especially the track you 've mentioned. However another concern that I would like to share is that I don't have prior experience in either finance or economics or banking for that matter. I have come to understand that it would be difficult to secure employment without prior experience in a related field. The same webpage of IFEP mentions in the last sentence "...job search will depend on their experience before coming to SIPA, academic work and a measure of luck." How good is that :P I also spoke with a current student at MIB and he had a similar thing to say. What's your take on this?

Also, yes I would be interested in knowing which of the univs I have mentioned would be good for the track I am interested in, considering that I don't have prior experience in it.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Someone pleaseseeee help me out! I was most inclined towards SIPA until I received a call from Fletcher! They are offering me 30K scholarship per year for the MIB program! NOW I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Someone pleaseseeee help me out! I was most inclined towards SIPA until I received a call from Fletcher! They are offering me 30K scholarship per year for the MIB program! NOW I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

First of all, congratulations. I think you should put this problem in perspective, since it really is an enviable set of options to have, however stressful the decision may be.

I stand by my opinions in expressing that SIPA seems like the stronger of the two programs in terms of reputation, alumni base, proximity to potential employers, availability of internships, etc. Also note that 70% of SIPA 2nd-years get funding, of which the median award is 21K.

This said, a 30K/year offer is a hard one to turn down.

I'd say attend both admitted students' days, ask sharp questions about coursework, career prospects, etc., and then decide whether the perceived benefits of SIPA outweigh the loans.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but if not, see you on April 12!

I stand by my opinions in expressing that SIPA seems like the stronger of the two programs in terms of reputation, alumni base, proximity to potential employers, availability of internships, etc. Also note that 70% of SIPA 2nd-years get funding, of which the median award is 21K.

Just wanted to point to the article on FinAid at SIPA that Emoleys mentioned on another SIPA thread.

Just wanted to point to the article on FinAid at SIPA that Emoleys mentioned on another SIPA thread.

Next time, you should or quote it, rather than the link to the article out of context, especially considering how well-balanced the original post was (i.e. that while the numbers that SIPA provides are inflated, he believes that the benefits of the SIPA degree "far outweight its costs")... full original post below:

Greendiplomat's right in saying that SIPA's got an amazing EPD concentration. Most of the students that I've come in contact with at the Admissions Office are actually choosing that route. According to my peers in the program, the numbers in regards to fellowships on the webpage are actually somewhat inflated. This piece from the Morningside Post addresses that issue: http://themorningsidepost.com/2008/08/50-of-the-time-it-works-every-time/

This is not to discourage anyone from going. I'm actually attending because I strongly feel that SIPA's offerings far outweigh its costs. The events, conferences, faculty, students, and especially the Capstone project at the end of the program represent great opportunities to me. Also, SIPA's recent endowment acquisition may very well change the financial aid picture for next year's students, in terms of fellowship/assistantship opportunities. We shall see!

And, while I'm at it, my response/thoughts on emoleys' original post:

I agree that SIPA's offerings outweigh its costs, but ouch. Thanks for the clarification, though I'm hoping that that article is selection bias in play (i.e. the individuals that felt the most burnt by the process are most likely to feel compelled to write about SIPA financial aid). All of the 2nd-year SIPA students with whom I've worked (either in class or in internships) all had TA/RA positions (though I'm assuming this is also selection bias in play, since those were the students that were driven enough to have internships during the school year). The one piece of advice that they all gave me was that, since the TAs/RAs are selected by the professors / department staff, it helps to do well in the classes that offer TA positions and to get to know the above faculty/staff.

I guess moral of the story is: (1) 2nd-year SIPA financial aid isn't as generous as they make it out to be; but (2) you have a good shot at getting in on some of the funds if you have above a 3.2 and are generally involved with things outside the classroom as well as in.

But, given the recent endowment that you mentioned, maybe I should just give my spot to a wait-lister and reapply again! Haha.

Edited by greendiplomat

First of all, congratulations. I think you should put this problem in perspective, since it really is an enviable set of options to have, however stressful the decision may be.

This said, a 30K/year offer is a hard one to turn down.

I'd say attend both admitted students' days, ask sharp questions about coursework, career prospects, etc., and then decide whether the perceived benefits of SIPA outweigh the loans.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but if not, see you on April 12!

Thanks for the wishes. But as it turns out with each passing day, SIPA seems to be a distant dream because of the sheer amount of program fee and lack of any scholarship. I don't have so much funds to support me and nor can I take a loan of such a huge amount. I am at international candidate and won't be able to make it to the open day.

Thanks for the wishes. But as it turns out with each passing day, SIPA seems to be a distant dream because of the sheer amount of program fee and lack of any scholarship. I don't have so much funds to support me and nor can I take a loan of such a huge amount. I am at international candidate and won't be able to make it to the open day.

Fletcher is a great school and program, as we'd discussed earlier in that its graduates seem to be getting very respectable jobs. Congratulations again on your admission, and enjoy Tufts for everything that it offers!

• 2 months later...

I have met some MIB's at Fletcher, and they seemed quite happy with the program. It's fairly new, so I expect they're working out some of the kinks as they go along, but they also made sure to hire very strong faculty to support it and bring in a set of half credit area-studies type business/economics courses to support the students in the program.

The reason they decided to create the MIB at all was because many Fletcher students ended up entering the private sector with the MALD anyhow, and they decided that offering a specialized track could only help students heading in that directio. So while it remains a possibility that some employers would prefer the MBA, you won't have to worry too much about job opportunities with the MIB from Fletcher (as the above poster shave shown).

• 6 months later...