Why?

hurrah

Why are they so cryptic? Why do we have to be kept in the dark? Why hand out the "mid-to-late March" line when everyone knows it's bunk? Is there so much last minute wheeling and dealing really going on that it justifies denying information to people who are waiting to determine the direction of their lives?

</rant>

...But really. Why?

You have two great acceptances already!

Thank you! I do, and I know I should be grateful. But [beware: sob story ahead, replete with tiny violins] my partner of 3.5 years just took a job in Boston. I pushed him to do it because it's an amazing, unsurpassable opportunity. But it suddenly makes the whole California dream into a really sad scenario.

And, personal situation aside, it just hurts to see so many intelligent, capable people going totally insane. [see:

Thank you! I do, and I know I should be grateful. But [beware: sob story ahead, replete with tiny violins] my partner of 3.5 years just took a job in Boston. I pushed him to do it because it's an amazing, unsurpassable opportunity. But it suddenly makes the whole California dream into a really sad scenario.

And, personal situation aside, it just hurts to see so many intelligent, capable people going totally insane. [see:

I'm in a similar situation, except we're in Boston now and I'm potentially moving away while my boyfriend is staying here. Tiny violins, I know! I'm still among the insane masses waiting on a few letters...

I'm in a similar situation, except we're in Boston now and I'm potentially moving away while my boyfriend is staying here. Tiny violins, I know! I'm still among the insane masses waiting on a few letters...

I guess I just feel like everything changed when my relationship became a factor. Before that, I was excited to go anywhere. But now I feel like Harvard is all that matters (worst feeling ever). I feel like I should be entitled to some kind of True Love Exemption where they have to let me in. Like when Wesley gets brought back from the dead in The Princess Bride.

Original post-er: Since you haven't heard from HGSE, and you have two killer offers, why not send them a brief update on your situation? It might help if they saw you were in demand at good schools and also had a very good reason for choosing to attend their program. Better to act sooner rather than later, I would think.

Love the tiny violins!! I can hear them from here!!

Well, I got in anyway. So now my heart won't be broken! Thanks, guys, for keeping me afloat!

Amazing. Congratulations. I'm happy your suffering is over! I was in that position once and the combinations of possibilities were all too much to consider.

Does anyone know if HGSE looks to admit more male students? I noticed that the male/female ratio is something absurd like 25% Male / 75% Female. As I twiddle my thumbs awaiting my decision, I am trying to look at all angles of what my chances are.

Also, does anyone know how HGSE looks at being a National Board Certified Teacher? It's definitely a part of my resume, but I'm not sure how much they value it.

Any comments would be appreciated as I wait...

Does anyone know if HGSE looks to admit more male students? I noticed that the male/female ratio is something absurd like 25% Male / 75% Female. As I twiddle my thumbs awaiting my decision, I am trying to look at all angles of what my chances are.

Also, does anyone know how HGSE looks at being a National Board Certified Teacher? It's definitely a part of my resume, but I'm not sure how much they value it.

Any comments would be appreciated as I wait...

Based on my interaction with admissions, my understanding is they look to admit more traditionally underrepresented populations. This usually boils down to African-Americans, Native-Americans, those with Latin American origins, those from low socio-economic backgrounds, first-generation students, and on occasion LGBT identified students. Since men are not underrepresented in graduate school (even if they are in the HGSE) they are generally not given preference. That said women are not given preference either, unless of course it is an extremely male dominated field like Mathematics or Science. The one exception here is if you wish to teach at the primary secondary level. Since men are underrepresented there, I'm not sure if that will work to your advantage or not. It probably depends on whether you brought up the imbalance in your essay or not.

As far as being a board certified teacher, admissions reps stated that education experience is given positive weight, but it is only a portion of the decision.

Hope this helps!

Why are they so cryptic? Why do we have to be kept in the dark? Why hand out the "mid-to-late March" line when everyone knows it's bunk? Is there so much last minute wheeling and dealing really going on that it justifies denying information to people who are waiting to determine the direction of their lives?

</rant>

...But really. Why?

Agg, I know!! The torment is too much :(

You're lucky with some acceptances. I haven't had one yet, and I desperately want one... Desperately. =/ I'm a little scared.