Email Etiquette After Acceptance

TransnationalHistory

Deng (more common in the UK, offered about 6 places in the US, iirc) more common in Aerospace Engineering, I think- but yeah, it's out there. There's the EdD as well, if I recall.

I thought Deng played for the Bulls. Shows what I know. :P

Also, I've just always addressed everyone as Dr. My dad has a DVM and still refers to professors as Dr., so I figure that's what I ought to do as well. I'd much rather be overly polite and formal than too informal too early.

Edited by kotov

The only ones I know that use "professor" are a few random undergrads.

We used "professor" at my undergraduate university for everyone. At my master's institution, the only person who requested to be called "Prof Smith" was someone who held a terminal master's and was a clinical instructor in the Exercise Science department. But "professor" isn't unheard of.

I feel quite strongly that Ph.D.s should not use "Dr." socially - that's reserved for M.D.s. My SO's family, however, insists upon addressing mail to us as "Dr. and Mrs. Useless Subject." Um, he's Mr. Useless Subject, and I'm Ms. Neuro-Psycho Social. ARGH!

We used "professor" at my undergraduate university for everyone. At my master's institution, the only person who requested to be called "Prof Smith" was someone who held a terminal master's and was a clinical instructor in the Exercise Science department. But "professor" isn't unheard of.

I feel quite strongly that Ph.D.s should not use "Dr." socially - that's reserved for M.D.s. My SO's family, however, insists upon addressing mail to us as "Dr. and Mrs. Useless Subject." Um, he's Mr. Useless Subject, and I'm Ms. Neuro-Psycho Social. ARGH!

I wonder if there's also some regional tie. All of the MDs I know address PhDs as "Dr" in social situations.

To my opinion, the PhD has been around and been called a "doctorate" longer than the MD, so if one should take precedence, it's certainly not the MD!

To my opinion, the PhD has been around and been called a "doctorate" longer than the MD, so if one should take precedence, it's certainly not the MD!

but if someone is having a seizure and people yell, "is there a doctor in the house?" they don't mean you. or me. i never call PhDs "doctor," even if they've referred to themselves as doctor to set the precedent.

but if someone is having a seizure and people yell, "is there a doctor in the house?" they don't mean you. or me. i never call PhDs "doctor," even if they've referred to themselves as doctor to set the precedent.

So do you also not call dentists or vets "doctor"? Because honestly, I doubt that's who they're screaming for when they ask for a "doctor in the house".... Context can be quite important in such scenarios.

And just so we're clear, the word "doctor" originates from the latin word for teacher... And has been used in that sense for over a thousand years. In fact, if you look at countries around the world, the only consistent (and often legal) way to earn the title "Dr" is to have a PhD... Medical degrees confer the title in some countries but not others.

Oh, and if you travel in Europe, make sure you do... Most countries (and the EU as a whole) uphold the legal right of holders of a PhD to use the title "Dr", and in Germany even go so far as to actually change the name of the person holding a doctorate to include "Dr".

Edited by Eigen

So do you also not call dentists or vets "doctor"? Because honestly, I doubt that's who they're screaming for when they ask for a "doctor in the house".... Context can be quite important in such scenarios.

And just so we're clear, the word "doctor" originates from the latin word for teacher... And has been used in that sense for over a thousand years. In fact, if you look at countries around the world, the only consistent (and often legal) way to earn the title "Dr" is to have a PhD... Medical degrees confer the title in some countries but not others.

Oh, and if you travel in Europe, make sure you do... Most countries (and the EU as a whole) uphold the legal right of holders of a PhD to use the title "Dr", and in Germany even go so far as to actually change the name of the person holding a doctorate to include "Dr".

i don't know if you intended this, but this response came off as very defensive.

no, i don't call vets or dentists "doctors." but i would if they wished me to, because at least their work deals with the body. i have little doubt that, all else being equal, a vet or a dentist would be more useful in a (human) medical emergency than someone with a PhD in physics or religious studies.

when i travel in europe, i will continue to refer to physicians as "doctors" and PhD holders as "professors," assuming they hold professorships. but thank you for your concern. if those professors wish to enforce their legal right to be called "doctor" they are welcome to sue me.

I have always felt that calling someone "Dr.---" to a faculty member was too preposterous. I call faculty members "Professor ---" or if they are Latin Americanist and don't mind speaking in Spanish "Profe --".

I have quite an interesting story where the "Dr." title might be handy. I was taking a class at UCLA and the history professor told us this story. He lives in Pasadena and one evening he had chest pain so he called his doctor and he told him to go to the nearest emergency room. Anyone who knows the Los Angeles area knows what hell it is to go to the ER, there are like hundreds of patients waiting, some with intensive pain and frustration of waiting. So Prof. goes to the ER and the medical doctor called ahead and told the hospital that "a doctor was on his way". They immediately let him in and began with procedural check up. They treated him like he was a medical doctor using all these medical words then he explained he had a philosophical doctorate not a medical doctorate. Moral of the story the title comes with perks.

Not all of are going to agree on the proper title for faculty in history but we will continue pursuing a phd and one day hopefully becoming a professor at x or y university/college.

i don't know if you intended this, but this response came off as very defensive.

no, i don't call vets or dentists "doctors." but i would if they wished me to, because at least their work deals with the body. i have little doubt that, all else being equal, a vet or a dentist would be more useful in a (human) medical emergency than someone with a PhD in physics or religious studies.

when i travel in europe, i will continue to refer to physicians as "doctors" and PhD holders as "professors," assuming they hold professorships. but thank you for your concern. if those professors wish to enforce their legal right to be called "doctor" they are welcome to sue me.

Nope, not intended to be defensive.

Why do you so closely associate "doctor" with someone who's work deals with the body, I'm interested to know? It's only a fairly recent addition to the word's meaning, and holds no ties to its origins.

I agree with those who argue that calling a PhD "Dr." is a little silly. Sure, if a particular person wanted me to use that title for them I would, but not without judging them as being a bit stuck up for it. I don't think the fact that referring to PhDs as "Dr." predates calling those with medical degrees "Dr." is relevant. There are countless archaic social customs we no longer recognize. Especially in America, people's titles refer to their profession. People with other advanced degrees don't have special titles that refer specifically to their degree. It's an obvious point, but we call people in the medical profession "Dr." because they are doctors. I think Professor is better since it refers to actual job done...plus, it's pretty safe to assume that all humanities professor have PhDs, so it's a bit unnecessary to feel the need to flaunt it.

The only exception I can think of is at a conference or any gathering of academics where you can't necessarily assume everyone presenting is currently teaching. In that case "Professor" would be wrong. But within the context of a college/university "Dr." seems silly.

I agree with those who argue that calling a PhD "Dr." is a little silly. Sure, if a particular person wanted me to use that title for them I would, but not without judging them as being a bit stuck up for it. I don't think the fact that referring to PhDs as "Dr." predates calling those with medical degrees "Dr." is relevant. There are countless archaic social customs we no longer recognize. Especially in America, people's titles refer to their profession. People with other advanced degrees don't have special titles that refer specifically to their degree. It's an obvious point, but we call people in the medical profession "Dr." because they are doctors. I think Professor is better since it refers to actual job done...plus, it's pretty safe to assume that all humanities professor have PhDs, so it's a bit unnecessary to feel the need to flaunt it.

The only exception I can think of is at a conference or any gathering of academics where you can't necessarily assume everyone presenting is currently teaching. In that case "Professor" would be wrong. But within the context of a college/university "Dr." seems silly.

I reject this. The etymology goes back to teaching, so if anyone has a real right to the term it is a professor. The term doctor refers to their degree. Medical doctors, as the most well known/frequently encountered doctors, have managed to get the title mostly to themselves, but that is as silly of a custom as any.

Seems like there is a bizarre amount of animosity about this point. I've always operated under the opinion that if a professor signs the email Prof. X, I will address said professor in the same way. This also goes with Dr. X. It seems very calculated if you address a person as "Prof. X" if the person always closes with Dr. X.