Loyola Chicago

Didn't see a topic for Loyola yet this season, so here we are:

I saw that some other people had gotten the mysterious open house invite from them. Kind of a nice, but maybe not nice notification of our status. Well, is anyone going to their "open house" this Friday? I'm really not sure what to expect: formal or informal, news on funding, or what.

If you're going, are you preparing for an interview, or not?!

Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Didn't see a topic for Loyola yet this season, so here we are:

I saw that some other people had gotten the mysterious open house invite from them. Kind of a nice, but maybe not nice notification of our status. Well, is anyone going to their "open house" this Friday? I'm really not sure what to expect: formal or informal, news on funding, or what.

If you're going, are you preparing for an interview, or not?!

Maybe I'll see some of you there.

I got the invitation, but I'm not able to go. According to the email, not going will not affect our chances of receiving a funded offer. If funded offers will be announced, I would have preferred to know this beforehand; that kind of thing is not the best way to surprise people when a trip is involved. I think that it's more of a meet and greet, though it is strange that they're doing it before announcing who actually is getting a funded offer. Typically, visiting weekends are to solidify offers that already have been made. I'm guessing that everyone who received the invitation is at least wait-list material; otherwise, why would someone be invited?

I asked the graduate director months ago what the application pool and entering cohort typically were, and she said that last season they received around 100 applications for 4-6 spots. It seems that more than 4-6 people have received the visiting invitation, which leads me to believe that it includes wait-listers as well (Loyola probably gets fairly deep into the wait list). Regardless, it's perplexing to have the event before making any decisions or notifications.

I got the same email about being in the final round, and invited to the open house. I'm actually going to Chicago anyway for spring break, so I asked the DGS if I could just visit then, and she said that's fine. So I'll be visiting later, not during the open house. I also asked about how many spots they have, and she said they've invited about 12 finalists to the open house, and will be able to admit (and fund) only 5.

I too received the mystery email and will be going. In response to one of the original questions posed at the top of the thread, I am personally treating this as an interview. I know that the email seemed to indicate that visiting/ not visiting would not affect funding, but this seems at least partially a syntactic ambiguity in the message. Moreover, I can't imagine a scenario in which they would invite a group of folks up to visit prior to funding decisions, and then somehow attempt to ignore whatever they had learned of the candidates in the visit.

I feel like the visit does have clear weight, but personally I'm trying not to get too worked up about it. Just thinking of it as an opportunity to talk to some folks about what I love most and find out more about the program...with the added bene that I get to visit a great city I've never been to before ;-)

Of those who attended the visiting day, can any attest to whether or not it felt like an informal interview (despite the explicit insistence to the contrary in the invitation email)? Was anyone given any further information regarding their admission status?

Of those who attended the visiting day, can any attest to whether or not it felt like an informal interview (despite the explicit insistence to the contrary in the invitation email)? Was anyone given any further information regarding their admission status?

I'm curious about this as well -- I'll be visiting them in mid-March. Those who attended the open house -- how was it, and what was your impression of the place? Thanks.

This is sort of unrelated, but I just got an email from Loyola grad school to follow them on facebook. Given the fact that I wasn't invited to their open house, and thus probably am implicitly rejected, I don't think I will be 'liking' them anytime soon!

I was updated today by Dr. Caughie, the graduate director.

Apparently, 3 offers were made last week, and 2 more will be made after Loyola's spring break.

She also indicated that because top candidates often receive offers from other programs, it's common to dip into the wait list to fill out the 5 spots.

Because Loyola admits so few students, a concerted effort is made to distribute those admissions equally across subfields. This may be why it is taking so long to make offers. They don't want to get more than one person per subfield, I'm assuming. And I'm also assuming that subfield is fairly broad in this case, i.e. maybe 1 rhet/comp, 1 20th century, 1 18th/19th century, 1 early modern, 1 medieval, or something like that.

I'm curious about this as well -- I'll be visiting them in mid-March. Those who attended the open house -- how was it, and what was your impression of the place? Thanks.

In response to the informal interview vs. honest-to-goodness getting to know you day questions, the visit felt like a little of both to me. Most of those I spoke with seemed primarily concerned with putting faces to names, making a relational connection, etc. The director stated that the event was put together very last minute and that this was the first time they have held such an event. Again, felt like kind of a hybrid/uncommon way of doing things that blended the more standard late March visiting weekend with the pre-selection interview -- but the program feels very close/supportive overall.

Also thought I would mention that I am one of those who received a call last week. I will of course aim to give them a decision ASAP, but I've been put on a discretely limited waitlist for my dream school, and Loyola is otherwise my best option so far, so I may not have an answer for some time. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Gl all.

Way to go, Billman! I wonder how long they're going to wait to offer those last two (or more) spots. Although, if I remember correctly, you might have an interest in modernism, which might mean I'm in limbo for the time being... (so I wish thee extra good luck with that dream-waitlist!).

Lake Michigan!

TCS:

Being one who was offered an MA spot at Loyola for two years running, I don't believe this was one of the last two spots (if there are definitvely two spots left). The MA is generally unfunded, and they make several similar offers. You candidacy on the waiting list places you in a better position for the PhD, I would think, as that was what happened to me last year before I was offered an MA spot. I hope your situation turns out well.

And as a disclaimer (possibly a universal disclaimer for these forums), every situation may be different, so don't put full stock in my comments. Best of luck to you all.

Looks like a Loyola Masters acceptance was notified two days ago. I wonder if this is one of the two spots left.

Thanks ryanweb! The dreamlist is limited to half the number of official admits, so I'm...tentatively optimistic. And yes, I applied in modernism/20th century, but also as an Americanist, so they could have me under that classification. Are you one of the WM guys? My ability to retain information from the outside world that is not in textual or narrative format is horridly deficient.

Way to go, Billman! I wonder how long they're going to wait to offer those last two (or more) spots. Although, if I remember correctly, you might have an interest in modernism, which might mean I'm in limbo for the time being... (so I wish thee extra good luck with that dream-waitlist!).

Lake Michigan!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I was one of the 12 finalists, but I emailed the DGS today to let her know I'm not considering Loyola any more, so she can take me off the list. Hope that means good news for someone else! :)

I also just withdrew my name (not part of the 5 offers, but part of the top 12).

I just got informed via post that I've been waitlisted. Surprised as hell, as I wasn't invited to the visit weekend. I'm not particularly hopeful about getting in, but it's nice. It also nicely complicates things, as I was planning on accepting Tufts next week (Tufts is a better school/more funding, but working with Pamela Caughie would be awesome). And I know they're lucky complications to have!