What to do? I've been rejected from all but two schools...

PhD or Bust

I have been rejected from all my schools except for OU and UNC-CH... I was pretty much banking on grad school to pull me out my perpetual unemployment etc.

Anyway, since this is my first post. I am 2 years out from undergrad looking to do, generally speaking, American Indian history. I think one of my biggest issues is that all of my undergrad work, including my honors thesis and degree title, was on the history of medicine. I figured being Amer. Ind. would help my chances with this...I guess not..

Thanks and Good luck to everyone!

edit: I should state that I am waiting to hear back from OU and UNC-CH...I am a resident of NC, I am hoping maybe that will aid me in some way...I know they have to have a certain percent of their undergrads from NC, but I don't know about their grad school...

Edited by PhD or Bust

I have been rejected from all my schools except for OU and UNC-CH... I was pretty much banking on grad school to pull me out my perpetual unemployment etc.

Anyway, since this is my first post. I am 2 years out from undergrad looking to do, generally speaking, American Indian history. I think one of my biggest issues is that all of my undergrad work, including my honors thesis and degree title, was on the history of medicine. I figured being Amer. Ind. would help my chances with this...I guess not..

Thanks and Good luck to everyone!

edit: I should state that I am waiting to hear back from OU and UNC-CH...I am a resident of NC, I am hoping maybe that will aid me in some way...I know they have to have a certain percent of their undergrads from NC, but I don't know about their grad school...

If you don't make it in anywhere this year maybe you can use the time between now and the next application cycle to research and create a new writing sample that's more solidly places in American Indian history. Perhaps in this new writing sample could show a link between your training in the history of medicine and your interest in American Indians (I don't know enough about either to really suggest any topics). If I were you I would definitely contact my old professors, especially those who wrote your letters of recommendation, and ask if they would be willing to mentor you (informally) for it. It might be especially profitable for you to strike up a relationship with professor who works in your target field for this.

If you live near a university perhaps you can take some non-degree classes in American Indian history to meet some professors and get new letters of recommendation from them. If you can't afford to actually take classes maybe they will let you sit in on them, do all the work and then write you a letter even if you don't actually get credit. This is what I did as I was several years removed from my undergrad days and have two bachelors degrees in fields totally unrelated to history. I haven't made it into a PhD program (though I'm still waiting to hear back from a bunch ) but I have been accepted to a competitive MA program at a well respected school; it's a strong step in the right direction even if it wasn't what I was really shooting for.

Without seeing your applications for this year that's about all I can suggest. But go ever them closely and try and improve everything you can think of, I think I literally did a hundred drafts of my statement of purpose before I got it to a point I thought was good enough to submit. Some departments are willing to tell you what kept you out if you contact them politely (not all though, and I'd wait a month or two to let this whole process finish).

And hey, maybe OU or UNC is putting the final touches on your acceptance with full funding! biggrin.gif I wouldn't give up hope yet but even if things don't work out for you this year it's by no means the end of the road, there's tons of stuff you can do to make yourself a stronger candidate for next year.

Good luck!

If you don't make it in anywhere this year maybe you can use the time between now and the next application cycle to research and create a new writing sample that's more solidly places in American Indian history. Perhaps in this new writing sample could show a link between your training in the history of medicine and your interest in American Indians (I don't know enough about either to really suggest any topics). If I were you I would definitely contact my old professors, especially those who wrote your letters of recommendation, and ask if they would be willing to mentor you (informally) for it. It might be especially profitable for you to strike up a relationship with professor who works in your target field for this.

If you live near a university perhaps you can take some non-degree classes in American Indian history to meet some professors and get new letters of recommendation from them. If you can't afford to actually take classes maybe they will let you sit in on them, do all the work and then write you a letter even if you don't actually get credit. This is what I did as I was several years removed from my undergrad days and have two bachelors degrees in fields totally unrelated to history. I haven't made it into a PhD program (though I'm still waiting to hear back from a bunch ) but I have been accepted to a competitive MA program at a well respected school; it's a strong step in the right direction even if it wasn't what I was really shooting for.

Without seeing your applications for this year that's about all I can suggest. But go ever them closely and try and improve everything you can think of, I think I literally did a hundred drafts of my statement of purpose before I got it to a point I thought was good enough to submit. Some departments are willing to tell you what kept you out if you contact them politely (not all though, and I'd wait a month or two to let this whole process finish).

And hey, maybe OU or UNC is putting the final touches on your acceptance with full funding! biggrin.gif I wouldn't give up hope yet but even if things don't work out for you this year it's by no means the end of the road, there's tons of stuff you can do to make yourself a stronger candidate for next year.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply...I should mention I'm not totally without classes or experience in Native American history...I minored in it and completed a competitive fellowship (with a research paper) devoted to it...I did submit my thesis as I thought it was a better paper...oh well, I realize I am just bitching on here and need to stop...Anyway, good luck to everyone...If i don't get in, hopefully I will be able to find some sort of job with this darn history degree...I'm really tired of student loan companies harassing me for my meager waiters pay....

I should mention I'm not totally without classes or experience in Native American history...I minored in it and completed a competitive fellowship (with a research paper) devoted to it...I did submit my thesis as I thought it was a better paper...oh well, I realize I am just bitching on here and need to stop...Anyway, good luck to everyone...If i don't get in, hopefully I will be able to find some sort of job with this darn history degree...I'm really tired of student loan companies harassing me for my meager waiters pay....

Hey, I'm not an expert, and as far as I can tell it's a bit of a crap shoot no matter what, but just a few words on my experience so far....

I applied mainly for African History, yet I've never taken an African History class...I went to a small Liberal Arts College that didn't even have a single Africanist on the faculty. I did take an Anthropology class that was basically an African History class, but still. I did my senior thesis on a topic that was half British history, half African history. But the chapter I submitted, while dealing with transnational themes, was far more European in focus. But I felt it was my strongest chapter (easier to have access to Western archives than African archives), so I went with it.

What I did have on my side was doing some ghostwriting/editing for a Nigerian political activist. But formally, I don't have that strong of a background in what I aim to study. I've gotten into two good programs so far, so I think it's more important to show that you can write well with primary sources vs. experience with your specific field...though obviously both can't hurt. It's hard to get a job period these days...I'd advise sticking with the restaurant job, and try and find something part-time or even unpaid that relates to history/research. I mean, if you can get a paying job that relates to history great, but I know I certainly didn't have any luck with that. Additionally, one the professors who wrote one of my letters of recommendation told me it was quite possible I'd get into nowhere the first time around, but that I shouldn't assume that meant nowhere would want me if I reapplied.

Unfortunately, I have to peace out for a weekend trip but I just wanted to drop you a note to say that:

1) Look at my signature. I'm still alive.

2) I'll PM you on Monday with some of my thoughts!

Chin up. B) Remember, nothing's over until it's OVER! So keep hoping and crossing your fingers.

Edited by ticklemepink

In my own limited experience, I can tell you that the two acceptances I've received so far are from schools in which I had extensive contact with professors I wanted to work with (phone calls, emails, etc.). So, maybe you could hang on until the next cycle and in the mean time, try an establish some connections with possible advisors. Anyway, my two anecdotal cents.

Hang in there...it's not over yet!

In my own limited experience, I can tell you that the two acceptances I've received so far are from schools in which I had extensive contact with professors I wanted to work with (phone calls, emails, etc.). So, maybe you could hang on until the next cycle and in the mean time, try an establish some connections with possible advisors. Anyway, my two anecdotal cents.

Hang in there...it's not over yet!

Based on this, I should be in at OU...I have talked with two professors there extensively and my LOR writer/ thesis advisor got his PhD there and knows all of the admissions folks... ::fingers crossed::

I only got one unfunded offer my first go round, so even if it doesn't work out this year (no reason to give up hope though), you can work on strengthening your application over the next six months.

If it makes you feel any better, I applied to eight schools, and seven of them have rejected me, while I'm still waiting to hear back from one.

Yeah, 2 rejections out of 7 applications. Probably another 3 rejections soon. Odds don't look good. sad.gif I hope you get a good response for the last one!

I'll chime in here and say that I, too, was demoralized when I applied to eight programs last year and was only admitted to one without funding. For what it's worth, in this second round of applications I've been accepted into four programs with full funding, one program with funding in the air, one wait list, and a few other rejections.

Ultimately, don't beat yourself up. The admissions process is very random. So much of the decision depends on factors beyond our control, ie funding, how many students your prospective advisor/field accepted in previous years, departmental politics, etc. I'm sure you'll get in, but if it doesn't work out this year, don't sweat it...seriously. You can try again next year and spend the next few months tweaking your application and making contacts.

Good luck!

tapshoes -

What did you do in-between years to produce such an improvement in your results?

ummm... i think his/her point was that this process is a crapshoot. you don't need to do anything differently to have dramatically different results in another year. it depends on the department's internal politics, which subfields they want to expand in a given year, etc. i think the point was that where you do or don't get in has to do with a lot more than just your application.

next round, you may want to consider adding some Canadian schools. There are plenty of good programs up here, and the paperwork isn't so hard for us US citizens. Saskatchewan, UBC, Simon Fraser, Alberta, York and others have solid programs. The main difference is that the MA is almost always a separate program than the PhD; you generally need an MA (or to be almost done with one) to apply for PhD here. But on the plus side, MA programs can be much better funded, and your TA duties and MA can make you a much better prospect for PhD apps (on either side of the border).

tapshoes -

What did you do in-between years to produce such an improvement in your results?

I did a few things differently. First, I networked. A lot. I wrote to multiple professors at each school where I applied, and whenever possible I met with them in person. A POI at one of my top choices came to NYC to give a lecture, for example, so I went to the event and introduced myself. I didn't put myself out there like this when I first applied. Sure enough, the schools where I was accepted this year were also the schools where I had positive conversations with prospective advisors. You have to build on your own network, but also take advantage of your current network: ie, does your undergraduate/MA advisor (not sure of your background) know professors at the schools where you're applying?

Second, I sat-in on a graduate seminar at a school in the NYC area. This helped me distill ideas for my project, which brings me to the next point...

...I re-wrote my personal statement. More accurately, I wrote about 15 drafts of my personal statement before submitting applications this year, and I sent it to anyone I thought might be able to give me feedback. This isn't to say that I wasn't careful with my personal statement last year--I was. This year, though, I had a much clearer sense of what I wanted to do, and much more time to work the draft. I was also able to mention in my statement that I was auditing a course, and added a note about what I'm doing to prepare myself for the languages I'll need for my project.

I reconfigured my writing sample. Last year I submitted an edited down chapter for my senior thesis. It was a good chapter, but in retrospect I think it depended too heavily on one set of primary sources from an archive where I researched. This year I condensed that chapter even further so that I could include elements from the second chapter of my thesis, where I provide context with secondary sources and work with a more diverse group of primary sources. Overall, I think it was a better balanced piece of writing that could stand on its own as a paper, not merely a "writing sample." I also had a much catchier introduction this time around, which I think is very important.

The last thing was that I applied to a much larger, diverse pool of schools. Last year I focused on programs in the Northeast, as I wanted to stay in PA/NY/NJ area. Some of these schools were fits, while other were a stretch. This year I committed myself to applying to schools that make sense not just geographically, but in the context of my proposed project. I'll probably have to study outside of my beloved New Jersey/Pennsylvania circle of family, but so it goes.

Strangelight is correct in her post below that there is much to this process we don't control. You could put together the most impressive graduate application anyone's ever seen, but if you apply to a school that isn't the right fit, if your prospective advisor isn't taking students, if the department is taking fewer students in your field, etc., than you could still be refused a seat. I know that isn't necessarily comforting, but you should understand that these application decisions aren't based solely on the merits of your work--you can't take any of it personally!

I hope it works out this year, but if you have to apply again, take advantage of every element of your application that's in your control. You'll get there!