Take 3, anyone?

ArtemisKitty

So, assuming that no news is bad news from UPenn, the only school I haven't heard from is McGill, which wasn't the best fit and isn't likely to have a whole lot of funding available for Americans. Which means, unfortunately, back to the drawing board.

I'm not giving up on doing a PhD yet, but I'm wondering who has applied more than twice? My application was already much stronger this year than last year (did some fieldwork, presented at a conference, have MAs in French and Comparative Literature, enrolled in an M2 in Anthropology at a prestigious French school), and other than some more publishing/presenting and tweaking my topic a bit more, I'm not sure what I could feasibly do in a year to make my application stronger.

I have a job, so plan B isn't really an issue at this point, but does anyone have any advice? I'm at a bit of a loss, and all I know right now is that I do NOT want to be in this horribly boring office job for the rest of my life.

Hi ArtemisKitty,

Sorry to hear the news. Although this is only my first year applying, I have some similar questions in my head. I went 0 for 6 (got interviews with 2 schools) with a pretty strong application, and I don't want to repeat that next year. Perhaps it will help to hear some of the questions I'm asking myself (I don't have answers, unfortunately):

- Will you only go to a top-tier school? If so, why? If not, what are some lower ranked programs that might be good fits in terms of your project?

- What's the weak point in your application? If it's the GRE, can you take it again? Can you get letters of rec from different professors? Is your GPA strong enough for the programs you've applied to?

- Are you in contact with professors from any of these programs you've applied to multiple times? If so, they might offer you advice on how to strengthen your application next year. Upon receiving one rejection from my POI, I immediately brought up the topic of next year's admissions. I have a few options for Plan B, so I'm hoping he'll help me decide which will ultimately help me get into the program next round.

- What are your career goals? How many years are you willing to wait/apply in order to achieve those goals? Can you shift those career goals, or are you in 100%?

- Is it possible to continue with that fieldwork, or continue doing the same things that made your application stronger?

- More volunteer or research opportunities? Contacts with more professors who can provide you with more contacts?

Best wishes,

anthroapp11

So, assuming that no news is bad news from UPenn, the only school I haven't heard from is McGill, which wasn't the best fit and isn't likely to have a whole lot of funding available for Americans. Which means, unfortunately, back to the drawing board.

I'm not giving up on doing a PhD yet, but I'm wondering who has applied more than twice? My application was already much stronger this year than last year (did some fieldwork, presented at a conference, have MAs in French and Comparative Literature, enrolled in an M2 in Anthropology at a prestigious French school), and other than some more publishing/presenting and tweaking my topic a bit more, I'm not sure what I could feasibly do in a year to make my application stronger.

I have a job, so plan B isn't really an issue at this point, but does anyone have any advice? I'm at a bit of a loss, and all I know right now is that I do NOT want to be in this horribly boring office job for the rest of my life.

Thanks, Anthroapp.

I would prefer to go to a top-tier school, especially since I went to Columbia for undergrad and have a Master's from Middlebury and from a "grande école" in France, and I think you're supposed to generally go up or across but not down. I did apply to BU, and would go there (or to another lower-ranked school) if it was a really good fit and I got funding, but part of the problem is that there aren't a whole lot of people that work in my area of interest (North African folklore/oral tradition/oral history) and so my topic already sort of limits my options. I would also prefer a school in the northeast, since I'm originally from Boston, but I suppose expanding geographically might help me in the future.

My GRE scores are fine, I think. They're something like 740 quantitative, 620 verbal and 5 writing. My understanding is that they're more used to eliminate candidates and that as long as it's over 1200 it's fine... if someone thinks otherwise, let me know and I guess I'll study and take them again in the fall. Same for GPA. It was 3.7 overall, 3.9 in my major, and 3.6 for my US master's. I know my letters were really good (one of them I wrote myself and my professor made some changes and signed it).

As far as weak points go, I almost wonder if being in the French system hurt me. The grades here tend to be harsher, and though mine were fine comparatively (they post everyone's grades publicly), maybe it depends on what system they're using to convert. The only other thing may have been my writing sample, since my master's thesis was in French and I had to translate about 40 pages of it to get enough material. It's good analysis and development, but maybe the style was a bit stilted.

I had my heart set on Brown, and I had been in contact with a professor about my research interests, and we seemed to really click professionally and personally. She even introduced me to two other professors in the department who would work with me as well. I'm not sure what happened - although I heard that others had similar experiences - but I think it's less "not good enough" and more "somebody else was a better fit this time." Maybe it wasn't her "turn" to admit a student - I don't know. I didn't really have contact with professors at other schools though, or only a few emails exchanged.

I suppose in the meantime, contacting professors, doing some more publishing, and doing a kick-ass job on my thesis in anthropology/ethnology and get new letters from my advisors from this year. I'm doing fieldwork as part of my thesis, and already signed up for another conference in December, so that might help. I'll also keep working on my Arabic and try to publish some of the papers I've written recently. Not really sure what else I can do.

What is your game plan for your next set of apps?

I also had a writing sample that I needed to translate from French. I am a native English speaker and near-native French speaker, so the translation itself was not difficult. What was difficult was transforming the style to suit an American audience. I translated my work, let it sit for a week, looked at it again...and was appalled. Even after overhauling it, I would send it to my SO and he would remark that I'm very fond of the passive voice. I'm actually not - in everyday English writing - but because I had put so much in the passive voice in French, I hadn't noticed when I kept it in French. Also the tone of certainty and importance of your work is often absent in a French work. Placing it in reference to other scholars and being bold enough to claim that you have intervened in their work or have somehow changed the approach to the topic in some way is necessary in the American academy.

I also found that I could get away with a lot at an American institution writing in French. I had taken on a huge topic, merging multiple disciplines, for a senior BA thesis. As a master's student, I'm sure you won't find that to be the case, but for me I knew that I hadn't worked through my ideas thoroughly enough, but got a perfect score because it was interesting and logical and well-written, even if it wasn't groundbreaking. Redoing it took forever, but it was well worth it.

I would ask the departments to which you applied if they have any suggestions about strengthening your application. The worst you will hear is "I am sorry, but with so many students it is impossible to give individual feedback to each applicant."

I'm sure you have done this but I would talk to graduate students where you're applying and faculty. Often they will all speak the same language, and you can try to channel that in your app. Each SOP should be very different, and each should fit your schools like a glove. You want them to say, why aren't they already here? Change your project depending on the school and make sure to indicate why your past research fits perfectly with the faculty's strengths, your project and your desire to attend that institution.

You've been applying in insanely competitive years. It's very likely that the politics of the department, timing of sabbaticals, and number of graduate students enrolled who are interested in your work have determined whether or not you've been admitted. These are entirely outside your control.

I would second two pieces of advice already offered: 1) ask the professors you applied to work with, how you could strengthen your application, and 2) consider applying to a wider range of students.

Regarding point #2, and responding to your desire to move over or up, rather than down, keep in mind that the top schools in your subdiscipline may not be the same as the top schools in the broader discipline. Including a broader geographic range may help you find these very good schools that may not be where you expected them to be. (If that makes sense!)

I have heard that your 3rd application to any given school is likely your last chance. Which means that you *do* have one more shot, but it may be your last. I don't know if this is true across the board, or if it is just a rumor to start with (the process is a black box, after all...). But this brings me back to point #1, which is to ask the professors you want to work with if there is a good chance that next year would be a good year for them to get a student. If it isn't, consider waiting another cycle to apply to that particular school.

Regarding GRE and GPA--probably not a huge deal. Your GRE scores look great (though it might be strange for social scientists to see a quantitative score that's higher than the verbal!), and the GPA scores are perfectly within the normal range for acceptances. These things aren't the deal breakers. What makes a difference are the letters (which sounds like you're good on), the SOP, and the fit (which includes the random chance that your POI wants and gets a student that year).

I would second two pieces of advice already offered: 1) ask the professors you applied to work with, how you could strengthen your application, and 2) consider applying to a wider range of students.

Regarding point #2, and responding to your desire to move over or up, rather than down, keep in mind that the top schools in your subdiscipline may not be the same as the top schools in the broader discipline. Including a broader geographic range may help you find these very good schools that may not be where you expected them to be. (If that makes sense!)

I have heard that your 3rd application to any given school is likely your last chance. Which means that you *do* have one more shot, but it may be your last. I don't know if this is true across the board, or if it is just a rumor to start with (the process is a black box, after all...). But this brings me back to point #1, which is to ask the professors you want to work with if there is a good chance that next year would be a good year for them to get a student. If it isn't, consider waiting another cycle to apply to that particular school.

Regarding GRE and GPA--probably not a huge deal. Your GRE scores look great (though it might be strange for social scientists to see a quantitative score that's higher than the verbal!), and the GPA scores are perfectly within the normal range for acceptances. These things aren't the deal breakers. What makes a difference are the letters (which sounds like you're good on), the SOP, and the fit (which includes the random chance that your POI wants and gets a student that year).

Thanks for the advice. I did notice that Harvard's page said they will only allow three applications per candidate, but I haven't seen that anywhere else. I'll definitely look into it before reapplying, and try to be more in contact wiht professors starting maybe in April. Last year, I was in contact with a professor from Brown, who told me to stay in touch, but I didn't really know what to write to her about other than some of my fieldwork. I felt like I would be bothering her, but maybe I shouldn't be so shy.

As for the GRE scores, I was surprised too! I didn't study at all, so some of the questions in the verbal section I just had no idea what ANY of the words meant for the analogies and such. Anyway, the quantitative score is actually a lower percentile (81%) than the verbal (like 89% or something).

Guess I'll go back to the drawing board for the SOP.

Are you rejected by all in your second round? If you're accepted into a lower ranked but decent program such as Boston University, I think you should go. After all you applied to this school for a reason, right? This is my second round and my experience told me that graduate admission is really arbitrary and unpredictable. I know a person who got in Columbia with a very bad GRE (her score is much lower than the 1200 threshold). I also know someone whose scores are brilliant and have publications but didn't get into any top-tier programs. You sound like a very strong candidate and I think what you're lacking is some luck.

If you are rejected across-the-board, try again next year but make sure you apply to a wider range of schools. Best wishes to you!

Are you rejected by all in your second round? If you're accepted into a lower ranked but decent program such as Boston University, I think you should go. After all you applied to this school for a reason, right? This is my second round and my experience told me that graduate admission is really arbitrary and unpredictable. I know a person who got in Columbia with a very bad GRE (her score is much lower than the 1200 threshold). I also know someone whose scores are brilliant and have publications but didn't get into any top-tier programs. You sound like a very strong candidate and I think what you're lacking is some luck.

If you are rejected across-the-board, try again next year but make sure you apply to a wider range of schools. Best wishes to you!

Thanks, Peanut. I didn't get into BU either. When someone posted last week that UPenn decisions had been made, I assumed it meant rejection. But based on the email I got yesterday, they haven't notified acceptances either and there's still hope. I put a bottle of champagne in the fridge yesterday just in case. My fiancé keeps telling me that I have to BELIEVE that I'll get in for it to work, so hopefully this proves I believe it can happen. Otherwise, I'm still waiting on McGill, which granted was probably the least likely in terms of fit, but who knows?

Otherwise, I think you're right that I'm basically lacking luck... and maybe an area of interest that interests people besides me! It's surprisingly difficult to find people working on North Africa in the US.

Thanks again!

Thanks, Peanut. I didn't get into BU either. When someone posted last week that UPenn decisions had been made, I assumed it meant rejection. But based on the email I got yesterday, they haven't notified acceptances either and there's still hope. I put a bottle of champagne in the fridge yesterday just in case. My fiancé keeps telling me that I have to BELIEVE that I'll get in for it to work, so hopefully this proves I believe it can happen. Otherwise, I'm still waiting on McGill, which granted was probably the least likely in terms of fit, but who knows?

Otherwise, I think you're right that I'm basically lacking luck... and maybe an area of interest that interests people besides me! It's surprisingly difficult to find people working on North Africa in the US.

Thanks again!

you can maybe try to retake the GRE. honestly, from what I've heard from contacting numerous departments, the magic number if 1400 -- i.e., 1400 and above puts an individual into the "for consideration pile". i'm not sure what it's like at all schools, but I contacted professors at a number of the "big name" anthropology departments and this is what I've been told. otherwise, your application looks fantastic!!! i really hope you get in somewhere.

if you don't get in anywhere, then i would suggest applying to some lower ranked schools as backup in the next application cycle. it's better to be an anthropologist than to not be an anthropologist, right?

also, maybe apply to programs other than anthropology? let us know what happens.

also, maybe apply to programs other than anthropology? let us know what happens.

Good advice. Try to apply to a few African studies programs next year. I don't know why admission to anthropology PhD is so darn competitive in the US. It seems harder to get into a doctoral program in anthropology than a professional program, especially in top-tier schools. Can someone tell me why?

It's so hard because everyone who graduates with an anthropology ba degree applies for graduate school. So there are same number of spots to grad school with 500 times the applications. Also, college is now the normal thing to do in the USA so you have more people graduating with an anthropology degree.

Edited by anthropologygeek

well, that's it. Rejection 5/5 came in this morning. Now what?

So sorry. That really bites.

Your credentials are astounding and leave mine in the dust. I have "life" experience but not what you have.

If I may, can you tell us a little about your SOP research topic? I am going to try and improve my research experience, but that may mean paying penance in a terminal master program

before the top dogs will bother to look at me again, BUT I am also wondering if my research interest alienated me.

My screen name is no coincidence; I mentioned Kropotkin's mutual aid in my "biocultural" SOP.

Edited by mutualist007

I'm curious if this GRE magic # is more/less/equally true for Social/Cultural as it is for Archaeology/Evo/Bio. Thoughts, anyone?

you can maybe try to retake the GRE. honestly, from what I've heard from contacting numerous departments, the magic number if 1400 -- i.e., 1400 and above puts an individual into the "for consideration pile". i'm not sure what it's like at all schools, but I contacted professors at a number of the "big name" anthropology departments and this is what I've been told.

I didn't really have contact with professors at other schools though, or only a few emails exchanged.

I would say this is a potential weak spot. I know someone (doing PhD at CUNY in physical anthro) who said he didn't get in the first time around, but he hadn't spoken to any profs at the programs he applied to. He made a point of meeting some of them the second time around, and got in.

I made sure to go meet profs in person if at all possible. I even flew to a couple schools to visit before apps were due, because they suggested it, and it seems to have made a difference, because I got into those programs. I know that isn't cheap, but it might make a difference. (They will generally find grad students you can stay with while there, so it's mostly the plane tickets that cost.)

Thanks, Anthroapp.

I would prefer to go to a top-tier school, especially since I went to Columbia for undergrad and have a Master's from Middlebury and from a "grande école" in France, and I think you're supposed to generally go up or across but not down. I did apply to BU, and would go there (or to another lower-ranked school) if it was a really good fit and I got funding, but part of the problem is that there aren't a whole lot of people that work in my area of interest (North African folklore/oral tradition/oral history) and so my topic already sort of limits my options. I would also prefer a school in the northeast, since I'm originally from Boston, but I suppose expanding geographically might help me in the future.

My GRE scores are fine, I think. They're something like 740 quantitative, 620 verbal and 5 writing. My understanding is that they're more used to eliminate candidates and that as long as it's over 1200 it's fine... if someone thinks otherwise, let me know and I guess I'll study and take them again in the fall. Same for GPA. It was 3.7 overall, 3.9 in my major, and 3.6 for my US master's. I know my letters were really good (one of them I wrote myself and my professor made some changes and signed it).

As far as weak points go, I almost wonder if being in the French system hurt me. The grades here tend to be harsher, and though mine were fine comparatively (they post everyone's grades publicly), maybe it depends on what system they're using to convert. The only other thing may have been my writing sample, since my master's thesis was in French and I had to translate about 40 pages of it to get enough material. It's good analysis and development, but maybe the style was a bit stilted.

I had my heart set on Brown, and I had been in contact with a professor about my research interests, and we seemed to really click professionally and personally. She even introduced me to two other professors in the department who would work with me as well. I'm not sure what happened - although I heard that others had similar experiences - but I think it's less "not good enough" and more "somebody else was a better fit this time." Maybe it wasn't her "turn" to admit a student - I don't know. I didn't really have contact with professors at other schools though, or only a few emails exchanged.

I suppose in the meantime, contacting professors, doing some more publishing, and doing a kick-ass job on my thesis in anthropology/ethnology and get new letters from my advisors from this year. I'm doing fieldwork as part of my thesis, and already signed up for another conference in December, so that might help. I'll also keep working on my Arabic and try to publish some of the papers I've written recently. Not really sure what else I can do.

What is your game plan for your next set of apps?

Forget tiers, rankings, etc. It's all about fit, fit, fit, fit.

For whatever it's worth, I'd have to agree that fit and funding are more important than a big name. If someone reads your application and says, "Oh my god, this sounds so interesting, I'd love to work with this person," that seems a lot stronger than them saying, "Welll, this person is quite accomplished and has high scores. Perhaps one day we will see eye to eye." I think the first person gets admitted, the second does not, especially when there are a lot of people to choose from. It's pretty hard to fake a fit if you're being more or less intellectually honest.

Forget tiers, rankings, etc. It's all about fit, fit, fit, fit.

Hello,

I just want to share my two cents. I think it is all about fit and luck. It might be the case that luck plays a bigger role. One of my friends got into a top-tier program last year. Let's call this university X. Her gre is just above 1200. (we're international students, so you might wanna keep this in mind). Anyway, she did not email anyone, no emails no contact no conversation at a conference, nothing. She didn't have any published papers. Anyway, last year a professor at X university decided that it had been a while since s/he last accepted a student, and last year this professor decided to enter the commitee and find a student s/he could work with. My friend's application captured this professor's interest, this professor thought that they had good fit, and you know the rest, now my friend is a grad student at this university. It was told her that the reason of her acceptance was that professor. This was my friend's first round of application.

Now, if that professor decided not to take students last year, my friend would not end up there. Or vice versa, if my friend thought that she could apply next year, she would not end up there, because perhaps this professor would accept another student.

In another story, one professor emailed one of my friends after the application season ended. And that professor told my friend that she would definitely take him, if only she wasn't in Africa when the commitee met and decisions made. My friend was unlucky.

Of course, I also heard stories in which people emailed professors, and got into thanks to those prior emails. And of course, a lot of people got into thanks to their published papers, or high scores or whatever. I am not saying that emailing professors or publishing papers is unnecessary. I just wanted to say that, believe it or not, luck plays a huge role in these things. Sometimes the problem is not in your application, sometimes it is all about "how the stars and constellations are aligned" :) ( not a strict believer in astrology, just saying it)

So my advice is try not to lose hope, and apply as many schools as you can. If you can afford it, try to apply to 10 schools, or more.This will definitely raise your chance. And, this is crucial, I know people who got into in their third round, and they got into top programs! Keep this in mind. You might wanna take a look again to your sop though, perhaps reformulating it might help.

Sorry for the long message! I hope you'll make it next year. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by moraurora

Hello,

I just want to share my two cents. I think it is all about fit and luck. It might be the case that luck plays a bigger role. One of my friends got into a top-tier program last year. Let's call this university X. Her gre is just above 1200. (we're international students, so you might wanna keep this in mind). Anyway, she did not email anyone, no emails no contact no conversation at a conference, nothing. She didn't have any published papers. Anyway, last year a professor at X university decided that it had been a while since s/he last accepted a student, and last year this professor decided to enter the commitee and find a student s/he could work with. My friend's application captured this professor's interest, this professor thought that they had good fit, and you know the rest, now my friend is a grad student at this university. It was told her that the reason of her acceptance was that professor. This was my friend's first round of application.

Now, if that professor decided not to take students last year, my friend would not end up there. Or vice versa, if my friend thought that she could apply next year, she would not end up there, because perhaps this professor would accept another student.

In another story, one professor emailed one of my friends after the application season ended. And that professor told my friend that she would definitely take him, if only she wasn't in Africa when the commitee met and decisions made. My friend was unlucky.

Of course, I also heard stories in which people emailed professors, and got into thanks to those prior emails. And of course, a lot of people got into thanks to their published papers, or high scores or whatever. I am not saying that emailing professors or publishing papers is unnecessary. I just wanted to say that, believe it or not, luck plays a huge role in these things. Sometimes the problem is not in your application, sometimes it is all about "how the stars and constellations are aligned" :) ( not a strict believer in astrology, just saying it)

So my advice is try not to lose hope, and apply as many schools as you can. If you can afford it, try to apply to 10 schools, or more.This will definitely raise your chance. And, this is crucial, I know people who got into in their third round, and they got into top programs! Keep this in mind. You might wanna take a look again to your sop though, perhaps reformulating it might help.

Sorry for the long message! I hope you'll make it next year. GOOD LUCK!

great post!

I think that emailing the professors or visiting the program can be really important, not only for them to know you as a person but also for you to know whether or not you really love that department as much as you thought.

You should also be sure that your recommendation letters are personal and positive. If your professors barely know you it's no good, or if they don't know what you've done before meeting them (send them your CV!).

Your statement of purpose and writing sample are of course very important, and you should try to describe whatever work you have done in detail, as well as what you're interested in working on for your PhD, with what professors in the department, and why you think the department is good for you. If you can have someone comment on your statement before submitting it'd be helpful. You should have someone read and go over your writing sample as well.

What's more, you should apply to a range of schools. Top choice, bottom choices, top through bottom tiers. There's no point in applying only to top schools--they get all the best candidates and have their pick, so you can't pin all your hopes on one of them. You should find a good (but not best) school or two that you would be happy with attending.

I think that emailing the professors or visiting the program can be really important, not only for them to know you as a person but also for you to know whether or not you really love that department as much as you thought.

You should also be sure that your recommendation letters are personal and positive. If your professors barely know you it's no good, or if they don't know what you've done before meeting them (send them your CV!).

Your statement of purpose and writing sample are of course very important, and you should try to describe whatever work you have done in detail, as well as what you're interested in working on for your PhD, with what professors in the department, and why you think the department is good for you. If you can have someone comment on your statement before submitting it'd be helpful. You should have someone read and go over your writing sample as well.

What's more, you should apply to a range of schools. Top choice, bottom choices, top through bottom tiers. There's no point in applying only to top schools--they get all the best candidates and have their pick, so you can't pin all your hopes on one of them. You should find a good (but not best) school or two that you would be happy with attending.

I really felt that my professors believed in my work, but now that I am out of school their responses seem very short and terse. I don't know if I've been more of a bother since asking them for references and advice or what. If a prof agrees to give you a referece, is that enough to assume it will be a good one? Would they agree out of niceness but then give a less than stellar LOR? I have been reminded of the cultural law and orthodoxy that says you must waive your right to see the letters, but honesty, it goes against my own belief in ultimate transparency. Nothing should be secretive, unless the matter is life or death or pertaining to doctor-counselor and patient confidentiality, or sole privacy. Since the LOR effect me and are about me, I believe there is just cause to allow these to be viewed.

But in getting back to the original subject, I believe fit and a solid focused SOP can make or break an application.

I really felt that my professors believed in my work, but now that I am out of school their responses seem very short and terse. I don't know if I've been more of a bother since asking them for references and advice or what. If a prof agrees to give you a referece, is that enough to assume it will be a good one? Would they agree out of niceness but then give a less than stellar LOR? I have been reminded of the cultural law and orthodoxy that says you must waive your right to see the letters, but honesty, it goes against my own belief in ultimate transparency. Nothing should be secretive, unless the matter is life or death or pertaining to doctor-counselor and patient confidentiality, or sole privacy. Since the LOR effect me and are about me, I believe there is just cause to allow these to be viewed.

But in getting back to the original subject, I believe fit and a solid focused SOP can make or break an application.

Agree with the comments on fit and SOP; however, I have some thoughts about LORs.

A professor I know said she would never say no to writing a letter for someone. What would vary is the strength of her letter. That said, everyone probably has good letters, what you need is someone who will write you a great one. As far as waiving rights to view them, I think cultural law and orthodoxy win out in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with the comments on fit and SOP; however, I have some thoughts about LORs.

A professor I know said she would never say no to writing a letter for someone. What would vary is the strength of her letter. That said, everyone probably has good letters, what you need is someone who will write you a great one. As far as waiving rights to view them, I think cultural law and orthodoxy win out in my opinion.

I can submit to cultural orthodoxy so long as that group does not insist on keeping individuals in the dark.