All Good Choices

OnceASundevil

first, i wish i'd found this website a lot sooner. this is great.

ok. i applied for Political Science PhD programs at 13 schools. I had a 4.0 at my most recent undergrad and a 1600/5.0 GRE. however, my degree is from a second(or third?)-tier public university in Michigan, and i have old transcripts from Arizona State and a local community college that are truly terrible (like, sub-2.0 GPA total). i applied to a lot of the top programs, and a few backup choices.

so far i've been accepted at eight of the schools, with two decisions outstanding and three rejections. so now i'm in the decision phase. all of the schools have offered 5 years (in one case 4 years) of guaranteed tuition waiver and stipend, which is great. (i'm trying not to take the financial side into consideration, because the difference between any of them is not that great.) the top programs i'm into are Michigan, Princeton and Berkeley.

i would appreciate any advice anyone has. i'm not looking for anyone to tell me where to go; i know i need to make the final decision, and i'm perfectly capable of doing so. i would be very interested, though, in what current grad students (or even applicants, or faculty) have to say about what i should take into consideration. so far i'm thinking a lot about placement after graduation, collegiality of the departments, and the work the current faculty are doing. are there big things i'm missing? is there any use trying to distinguish between three great places objectively? any Ivy Leaguers want to make an argument for the private school option?

thanks!

First, you're either ignorant or arrogant to call Michigan a second (or third)-tier school, especially coming from someone who got owned by Arizona State and community college. Michigan is a top program, public or private and you should be proud that you graduated from there.

Yes, there is use trying to distinguish between these three objectively. The current research areas faculty at each of these places are doing could be worlds different; if your research interests don't match up, then collegiality and placement are the least of your worries- you're going to have a hell of a time (in the bad way). If that's the case you might as well be going to a third-rate regional school.

I am agreeing with Gunner here....I am not familiar with school rankings when it comes to Political Science, but I have never heard Michigan being a second or third tier school. I wonder what ranking report you are looking at, if any.

First, you're either ignorant or arrogant to call Michigan a second (or third)-tier school, especially coming from someone who got owned by Arizona State and community college. Michigan is a top program, public or private and you should be proud that you graduated from there.

Yes, there is use trying to distinguish between these three objectively. The current research areas faculty at each of these places are doing could be worlds different; if your research interests don't match up, then collegiality and placement are the least of your worries- you're going to have a hell of a time (in the bad way). If that's the case you might as well be going to a third-rate regional school.

Actually man you should read his post more carefully. He says he goes to a second (or third)-tier school IN Michigan. It isn't necessary that he's talking about Michigan State or Michigan Ann-Arbor. Your insult is unjustified.

I am agreeing with Gunner here....I am not familiar with school rankings when it comes to Political Science, but I have never heard Michigan being a second or third tier school. I wonder what ranking report you are looking at, if any.

I believe the original poster said they graduated from "a public university in Michigan," not the University of Michigan. I think there are about a dozen public universities in the state.

To address the original poster's question... Congratulations! It sounds like you've had an excellent admissions cycle! There are about a million factors to consider, but I've been told to place a lot of weight on who my potential adviser will be. Not necessarily just how prominent they are in their field, but the quality of their advising, their availability, whether their advisees graduate within reasonable time limits, etc. Advisers are a defining element in a PhD student's experience, so you should probably give it some consideration. Though, I don't know, funding can be quite persuasive! You might also consider, as a minor point, how far their funding offers will take you considering cost of living in each city.

Best of luck to you!

My apologies as well OnceASunDevil! I think you are right on track with weighing the schools. You didn't mention location, is that a factor at all in your decision? I know everyone is different, but I figure I'd offer a factor that may be important.

Edited by ZeeMore21

Congrats on your excellent admits. Your criteria look pretty good for selecting your school, but maybe you could also consider how well your research interests fit at each school. Also, you could consider things like how easy is it to change an advisor, should you ever need to; how many profs are there at each school that you could conceivably work with; the quality of life you would be able to enjoy on the stipends in each of the cities involved; the weather at the cities where you've been admitted. I would also recommend chatting with grad students at the schools you're considering - see what they have to say about the programs. If all else fails to separate your choices, then there's always flipping a coin! laugh.gif

i would appreciate any advice anyone has. i'm not looking for anyone to tell me where to go; i know i need to make the final decision, and i'm perfectly capable of doing so. i would be very interested, though, in what current grad students (or even applicants, or faculty) have to say about what i should take into consideration. so far i'm thinking a lot about placement after graduation, collegiality of the departments, and the work the current faculty are doing. are there big things i'm missing? is there any use trying to distinguish between three great places objectively? any Ivy Leaguers want to make an argument for the private school option?

1. Qualifying exams: written, oral, or both? What's the pass rate? (PhD from low ranked school beats exiting with masters from a top school.) Do the required classes really prepare you for quals? (This should be asked to current students.) Or are quals just an excuse for faculty to abuse the students?

2. Geography: what's the cost of living? Weather? Overall culture? Will you have a car? What is public transit like there? (I can tell you, it's pretty non-existent in Princeton.) Also note that you're most likely to get a faculty position somewhere close to your grad school--it may not just be 5 years that you're in the area. Plus: proximity to major cities: Berkeley is near San Francisco. Princeton is near New York. Ann Arbor is near... Detroit.

3. Funding: not just stipend amounts, but also benefits: health insurance? Gym membership? Subsidized housing? And are the stipends for fellowship, TA, or RA? If TA or RA, how much work is required?

4. Time to graduation? Attrition rate? Learning is great, but without the piece of paper, you'll never get the job.

5. Are you moving with a significant other/family? What do they have to say about it? What would their job/school prospects be like?

Gosh, it's getting hot in here. laugh.gif

First of all, huge congratulations! You did awesome (your GRE is what??? laugh.gif)!

You have an important decision waiting. I suggest you look at the placements at each school (perhaps... try talking to current students and each institution; they know best) and consider what you want to do after graduation, where you want to work and whether reputation of some of your schools will be particularly relevant to that!

Good luck! Either way, you can't go wrong!

yeah, definitely did not go to U Michigan for undergrad... :( but anyway, apologies accepted.

i really appreciate all these posts. I'm going on at least three visits, maybe five, and we'll see if i get into either of the programs i'm waiting on. i'm really hoping that it "clicks" at one of them, because i'm looking at a really tough decision if all i have to go on is answers to questions. (although all of the suggested questions are great, they all seem to answer these in ways that make them sound great!)

i will come back to this thread, so if anyone has any other advice, please keep it coming. thanks again.