Academia.edu Keywords

If you use academia.edu, you may have been getting these email notifications: "Someone just searched for you on Google, and found your page on Academia.edu. To see the search query they used, what rank you are on Google for this query, and what country the search came from, follow the link below."

I just got one today and it's driving me a little crazy. The search was from the United States this afternoon, and it's definitely me they're looking up, as the search was for "myfirstname mylastname very specific and obscure ethnic group that I'm studying." I'm still waiting on two schools (including my top choice), although the results board indicates that they've both sent out acceptances already. Still, I get a little fluttery feeling when I see that somebody is evidently still interested in my file. It could be somebody at one of my acceptances trying to decide if they should fund me, which would also be nice...I don't see any way that it could be non-academic, but maybe my imagination isn't big enough. To make matters worse (better?), each time I've received such a notice before has shortly been followed by an acceptance.

Anyway, I just thought I'd check to see if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing. False hope, or reason to be optimistic? Just one more forumite slowly going crazy via overanalyzing EVERYTHING?!?

Haven't experienced this in relation to grad school (though now I'm going to go back and check the search dates with when I contacted POIs/submitted my apps) but generally it sends me crazy wondering who is searching for me!

It would be nice if the notification also told you which city the person viewing your profile is from - then you'd really freak out huh?wink.gif All you can do is just hang in there and hope for the best. Good luck!

It would be nice if the notification also told you which city the person viewing your profile is from - then you'd really freak out huh?wink.gif All you can do is just hang in there and hope for the best. Good luck!

If you made the site in Google Sites instead of Academia, you could see which city they were from, for how much time they visited which page, and even what operating system and network they use.

If you made the site in Google Sites instead of Academia, you could see which city they were from, for how much time they visited which page, and even what operating system and network they use.

I know I am going to sound stupid. I am, after all, a computer scientist :P. Anyway, my site is hosted at google sites. I have been trying to find this tracking feature. I googled and checked google sites manual. How did you get this visitor tracker feature?

I know I can add a third-party visitor tracker, but I am wondering if google sites has one.

I know I am missing something huge here.

I know I am going to sound stupid. I am, after all, a computer scientist :P. Anyway, my site is hosted at google sites. I have been trying to find this tracking feature. I googled and checked google sites manual. How did you get this visitor tracker feature?

I know I can add a third-party visitor tracker, but I am wondering if google sites has one.

I know I am missing something huge here.

Hey sashakoe, I think you're going to have to use Google Analytics. See a description on how to setup Analytics with Google Sites here: http://www.google.com/support/sites/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=97459