Environmental Studies 2011

I don't know how many environmental studies applicants lurk around these forums, but this is our thread! Lets discuss our not-quite-policy-but-not-quite-engineering environmental studies applications and choices.

Most rankings and talk about job opportunities are focused on environmental policy... but which schools are best for those of us focusing on hard environmental science with additional courses in policy and management?

I applied to a cross section of schools and i've left the deciding part for April!

Here's my school list (as per my sig too):

UC Berkeley Environmental Science Policy and Management- MS in ESPM

Yale FES- MEM

Arizona State University School of Sustainability- MS in sustainability,

UC Santa Barbara Bren- MESM

Cornell Department of Natural Resources- MS in Natural Resources

Duke Nicholas School- MEM

University of Illinois UC- (NRESM) MS

Indiana University SPEA- MSES

University of Michigan SNRE- MS in Natural Resources and Environment

Alumni or current students of any of these programs- please share anything you think we should know!

• 1 month later...

I hope you've joined a good institution by now.

I am not from this discipline, but in the process of exploring, I found the following quite interesting -

Northwestern's sustainable energy policy

Columbia's environment programme

University of Delaware's Environmental management and policy. B)

• 2 months later...

hey these are really good schools you have applied to.

i am interested in the same programs and i was wondering what your GRE scores and overall GPA is...

I don't know how many environmental studies applicants lurk around these forums, but this is our thread! Lets discuss our not-quite-policy-but-not-quite-engineering environmental studies applications and choices.

Most rankings and talk about job opportunities are focused on environmental policy... but which schools are best for those of us focusing on hard environmental science with additional courses in policy and management?

I applied to a cross section of schools and i've left the deciding part for April!

Here's my school list (as per my sig too):

UC Berkeley Environmental Science Policy and Management- MS in ESPM

Yale FES- MEM

Arizona State University School of Sustainability- MS in sustainability,

UC Santa Barbara Bren- MESM

Cornell Department of Natural Resources- MS in Natural Resources

Duke Nicholas School- MEM

University of Illinois UC- (NRESM) MS

Indiana University SPEA- MSES

University of Michigan SNRE- MS in Natural Resources and Environment

Alumni or current students of any of these programs- please share anything you think we should know!

hey these are really good schools you have applied to.

i am interested in the same programs and i was wondering what your GRE scores and overall GPA is...

Hi aayushi! My scores were GRE 1420 Quant 680, Verbal 740, TOEFL 116, GPA 7.7/10 (although this was pretty irrelevant since they have no idea what my Indian GPA is actually worth).

I found my scores were not as important as work and research experience for some schools (I have research ex but was light on work ex, which kept me out of Yale FES). Most of the international students (and otherwise) admitted to the same schools as me had GRE scores in the ~1400s. You'll hear this a lot: a good GRE score can't get you into a school but it can definitely keep you out.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about my application season. I will be attending the Nicholas school at Duke this fall!

Most of the international students (and otherwise) admitted to the same schools as me had GRE scores in the ~1400s.

Now I'm a little worried. :unsure:

From the Survey results and the threads, I knew there was a smattering of high GRE scores but generally I thought the departments were accurate. For instance, Michigan recommends 1200+, Yale's posted composite is 1240, and UCSB states their average is 1200. Indiana's 2010-11 numbers, for their incoming class, are 1210 for MPA, 1120 for MSES, and 1220 for the dual MPA/MSES.

Edited by cunninlynguist

I'm probably off about the US students' GRE scores. I've mostly talked to international students and I don't know one person who scored under 1400 during my application season. FES's "typical student" profile is really misleading IMO, they reject close to perfect GRE scores for the sake of work experience. UCSB values fit more than anything. It seems like a 1400+ score is just a qualifier :/

Indiana couldn't even fill their MSES incoming class this year! I don't know what the hell happened there.

I'm probably off about the US students' GRE scores. I've mostly talked to international students and I don't know one person who scored under 1400 during my application season. FES's "typical student" profile is really misleading IMO, they reject close to perfect GRE scores for the sake of work experience. UCSB values fit more than anything. It seems like a 1400+ score is just a qualifier :/

Indiana couldn't even fill their MSES incoming class this year! I don't know what the hell happened there.

That's crazy, and a little sad, about Indiana, but it makes some sense. Their MPA program is reputable, as is the MPA/MSES. Qualified applicants who want a sufficient emphasis in science should just opt for the MPA/MSES. And apparently they have! Regardless, that's a bit worrisome - I've considered dropping them from my list anyway.

Yale definitely sends mixed signals about work experience. The 'typical student' has 2-4 years, while under the Admissions FAQ they say "one or more years of experience post-baccalaureate is a plus." I'm not optimistic about FES but it won't stop me from applying; I'll pretend my internship experiences constitute something worthwhile and tailor my SOP to be very career-oriented. Another potentially misleading element is the selection of undergraduate courses they encourage you to take (http://environment.y...-for-Admission/). I wonder if that's actually a significant consideration.

If I recall correctly, you're heading to Duke, right? You must be getting excited. Michigan is technically my #1 choice - however, it'd be ridiculously tempting to attend FES or Nicholas if I, for some bizarre reason, were accepted to either

Heya thanks so much for the prompt reply. :)

You've got great GRE scores.... i scored 1290 overall with 700 in Quant and 590 in Verbal...

And i m still in my 4th year undergrad so that basically cuts any chances of work experience..

I'm really keen on environmental so i guess i'll have to apply to some less ranked universities...

Thanks for the advice and congratulations on your admission :))

Hi aayushi! My scores were GRE 1420 Quant 680, Verbal 740, TOEFL 116, GPA 7.7/10 (although this was pretty irrelevant since they have no idea what my Indian GPA is actually worth).

I found my scores were not as important as work and research experience for some schools (I have research ex but was light on work ex, which kept me out of Yale FES). Most of the international students (and otherwise) admitted to the same schools as me had GRE scores in the ~1400s. You'll hear this a lot: a good GRE score can't get you into a school but it can definitely keep you out.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about my application season. I will be attending the Nicholas school at Duke this fall!

@Aayushi- Definitely apply to some safeties but don't disqualify the top ranked universities either. A killer SOP can go a long way.

@cunninlynguist- I wouldn't be so pessimistic about Duke. It looked like SNRE and Nicholas are pretty even with admissions because a couple of people I know (including myself) were deciding between the two this year. SNRE hiked their tuition this year while Duke threw modest scholaships at all the intl students so the choice was pretty simple for me!

I don't know any official numbers but a 2013 Yale MEMer told me that there are around 20 students under the age of 25 in her cohort of 140 students. Depressing odds.

Edited by surprisecake

I definitely appreciate your insight regarding Duke. Their standards and acceptance rates (for Master's admissions, anyway) are clearly the least available of all the top-tier environmental programs. That Yale number is scary. I'd love to go there for many reasons but I won't be shocked if it doesn't work out. Probably a little depressed, though, lol.

Hey Suprisecake! When do you arrive to Durham? I have been here for two weeks and the city is pretty awesome. I am getting a little nervous about starting classes/diagnostics. Let's meet up when you get here!

Has anyone looked into the MA in Environmental Studies at Brown? Aside from the department website, there's virtually no information available and I'm waiting to hear back from a professor there. Their program has a couple of very intriguing elements and I'm seriously considering putting in an application.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the first-hand insight, Chuck. You reinforced the value of work experience very well.

In my case, I am willing to gain some experience in the next few years if this round of applications does not yield a good result. I trust the admissions committees to make worthwhile choices for their program and for me. If I'm deemed too inexperienced, and my goals too vague, then it would absolutely be to my benefit to delay the degree and ground myself in substantial experience the next time I apply.

• 1 month later...

Great insight.

I myself am pondering whether to return to academics for a PhD in environmental science (climate/energy focus) after 2 years out in the real world working in energy policy/renewable energy. Any specific insights on the application process for someone coming back into the academic world? How much should I focus on my current work, and how much do I revert back to my master's work in terms of application and.

I don't think I would be applying until next yr, for Fall 2013 but I have been cruising these forums. I trust that getting references from my Master's program would be most vital, but maybe having 1 from the professional world (related to my degree) would be use to have.

I will likely take the new GRE and could use to improve my 4.5 year old scores (I think expiring soon at the 5yr mark).

The programs listed above are largely the ones I am targeting.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They were *very* accommodating and nice to me. And you get to learn *so much* about how people perceive the school and about the town around the school. It's an awesome experience as long as you don't mind uncleanliness or homes that are over 100 years old.

In fact, most people will get a better experience than me too, since I'm vegetarian and can't eat dairy, so I couldn't eat most of the food they cooked.