New Religions?

LeftField

Anyone know of any schools that offer good programs that would be compatible with an interest in newer relgious traditions (JWs, Mormons, cultural/social influences)? I'd like to focus on that area, and I'm having a dickens of a time finding programs that will give me the time of day. I applied to Duke (American Religions), UNC (American Religions), Emory (Person, Community and Religious Life), Notre Dame (World Religions and World Church), Temple (Religion and Society), Syracuse (Modern America), Indiana (Religion in the Americas). I applied to all of them because they had professors or something in their program description that implied that they might be compatible, and I emailed my professors of interest to make double sure. So far, no go, though I'm still waiting to hear from some of them.

My question is: did I leave anyone out?

For modern religions, eh?

If you don't mind studying them from a virtually completely secular hermeneutic, then try Harvard of Duke. For these places, theology is something of a dead-art. And Scripture, to be sure, is to be treated like an autopsy on a dead-letter.

Just my observations for scholarship and students.

Thanks, I'm actually preferring a secular social science/ethnographic approach. I looked at Harvard, but they got pushed iff my list because didn't have any professors that had any experience outside of the major religions. They may be worth another look if I have to make a second go round of it.

For modern religions, eh?

If you don't mind studying them from a virtually completely secular hermeneutic, then try Harvard of Duke. For these places, theology is something of a dead-art. And Scripture, to be sure, is to be treated like an autopsy on a dead-letter.

Just my observations for scholarship and students.

Thanks, I'm actually preferring a secular social science/ethnographic approach. I looked at Harvard, but they got pushed iff my list because didn't have any professors that had any experience outside of the major religions. They may be worth another look if I have to make a second go round of it.

Harvard is famous for pushing the theological envelope and the obscure. A while back someone made mention of their work with pagan religious traditions and transgendered imagery or something to that effect---that's the kind of thing that they love--the stuff that lefty liberal arts college professors find their niche and get wet-dreams over. Gross. It's not a bad thing, it's just that HDS' program has been getting so far "out there" in the aether than it's hardly a Divinity school anymore, according to virtually every professor who wrote me a recommendation for Harvard this time around -- and according to multiple recent grads who went there to study theology. If you are looking for that sort of secularized approach, look no further, you'll likely get an acceptance and good funding to do so. Here's the rub with HDS though -- although you might not have anyone to work with specifically at HDS, at the masters level you can take the Invictus route and be the master of your own fate and captain of your own soul, your own destiny -- by carving out your own program. AND, and this is great -- you can work with many other schools and libraries surrounding HDS in the Boston area. There's some great resources and faculty available at the Graduate schools and the Boston area religion/theological consortium.

In sum, sometimes to find a reputable school to cater to your needs you need to fandangle a little bit, because you don't want to end up some place really small, with no funding, because you're doing something new which pushes the envelope! Go big!

On 3/4/2011 at 1:49 PM, new mexico said:

From what I've heard from individuals that attended HDS for the master's degrees, one can expect to learn very little actual theology. so this might be the place for you.

Also, read this thread:

For what it's worth, I think that this is a bit of an exaggeration. It depends what you mean by "actual theology"; HDS does push the envelope in terms of theoretical approaches, but I don't think that means there is no theology happening,

For what it's worth, I think that this is a bit of an exaggeration. It depends what you mean by "actual theology"; HDS does push the envelope in terms of theoretical approaches, but I don't think that means there is no theology happening,

I agree completely. Of course theology is "happening" at HDS; it is, after all, a divinity school. It was a facetious remark. Although, it depends how we define "actual theology" and to what extent it is happening. Anyway, the purpose of my previous post is to link to a thread where this issue is somewhat discussed.

Harvard is famous for pushing the theological envelope and the obscure. A while back someone made mention of their work with pagan religious traditions and transgendered imagery or something to that effect---that's the kind of thing that they love--the stuff that lefty liberal arts college professors find their niche and get wet-dreams over. Gross. It's not a bad thing, it's just that HDS' program has been getting so far "out there" in the aether than it's hardly a Divinity school anymore, according to virtually every professor who wrote me a recommendation for Harvard this time around -- and according to multiple recent grads who went there to study theology. If you are looking for that sort of secularized approach, look no further, you'll likely get an acceptance and good funding to do so. Here's the rub with HDS though -- although you might not have anyone to work with specifically at HDS, at the masters level you can take the Invictus route and be the master of your own fate and captain of your own soul, your own destiny -- by carving out your own program. AND, and this is great -- you can work with many other schools and libraries surrounding HDS in the Boston area. There's some great resources and faculty available at the Graduate schools and the Boston area religion/theological consortium.

In sum, sometimes to find a reputable school to cater to your needs you need to fandangle a little bit, because you don't want to end up some place really small, with no funding, because you're doing something new which pushes the envelope! Go big!

Wow. Can I ask that you not refer to another scholar's work as "gross"? Yes, I am presenting a paper this spring on embodied transgender inclusion in ritual. I also have a lovely scholarly foundation in theology. I expect that I'll end up being focused on translation and interpretation of Cairo Genizah texts. AND I'm an HDS applicant, because, as you point out, it's a great fit for me. That said, I think it's possible to comment on another's interests without making insulting value judgements. If it's not possible for *you* to make such a polite comment, can I suggest you refrain from using my academic work as some example of "gross" work?

Wow. Can I ask that you not refer to another scholar's work as "gross"? Yes, I am presenting a paper this spring on embodied transgender inclusion in ritual. I also have a lovely scholarly foundation in theology. I expect that I'll end up being focused on translation and interpretation of Cairo Genizah texts. AND I'm an HDS applicant, because, as you point out, it's a great fit for me. That said, I think it's possible to comment on another's interests without making insulting value judgements. If it's not possible for *you* to make such a polite comment, can I suggest you refrain from using my academic work as some example of "gross" work?

It wasn't GROSS as in, "GROSS" that's a gross topic -- transgendered! EWWWIE! Miscommunication, miss. What I meant to say, "It's gross" as in ---its the stuff people get WET DREAMS OVER in lefty liberal arts colleges! Might as well strike while the iron is hot with that one, no need to fight the paradigm or go against the grain, what you're studying is important stuff, it's the stuff lefties love, and that's the way that liberal arts education programs are going. Good for you. I myself am as far left as you can possibly go, so I get it. Chill out! No value judgments here... if anything, your assumption about me insulting value judgments is the same cycle of value judgments you seek to protest!

If I run into you at HDS in a class some day I'll point out how hilarious this mis-communication was!

And again, I cannot emphasize enough how I used your scholarship as an example of the "stuff" that lefty HDS loves -- not something that is "gross" because it has something to deal with transgendered images. We don't need to get all hyper-vigilant-defense-mode here. Everyone has "niche" scholarship to a certain extend, yours will work well at HDS if you are accepted.

And Trin, I truly am sorry. It's been a crappy week. I wrote without thinking straight things through.

Edited by Dillskyplayer

It wasn't GROSS as in, "GROSS" that's a gross topic -- transgendered! EWWWIE! Miscommunication, miss. What I meant to say, "It's gross" as in ---its the stuff people get WET DREAMS OVER in lefty liberal arts colleges! Might as well strike while the iron is hot with that one, no need to fight the paradigm or go against the grain, what you're studying is important stuff, it's the stuff lefties love, and that's the way that liberal arts education programs are going. Good for you. I myself am as far left as you can possibly go, so I get it. Chill out! No value judgments here... if anything, your assumption about me insulting value judgments is the same cycle of value judgments you seek to protest!

If I run into you at HDS in a class some day I'll point out how hilarious this mis-communication was!

And again, I cannot emphasize enough how I used your scholarship as an example of the "stuff" that lefty HDS loves -- not something that is "gross" because it has something to deal with transgendered images. We don't need to get all hyper-vigilant-defense-mode here. Everyone has "niche" scholarship to a certain extend, yours will work well at HDS if you are accepted.

And Trin, I truly am sorry. It's been a crappy week. I wrote without thinking straight things through.

Honestly my experience with HDS hasn't been "lefty" at all. I have several friends over there, and have/am taking classes there through the BTI. Sure, they offer courses that are "lefty" but they also offer courses just like any other div school. The dozen students I know from HDS seem pretty normal theological, not any different from my friends at BC. Meh.

I guess I'm just used to plenty of atheists/agnostics studying this at the grad level? For most classes, unless specifically labeled as such (pastoral), I could care less about someone's faith, ect. I am an agnostic, if it matters.

shalom

Edited by jdmhotness

Honestly my experience with HDS hasn't been "lefty" at all. I have several friends over there, and have/am taking classes there through the BTI. Sure, they offer courses that are "lefty" but they also offer courses just like any other div school. The dozen students I know from HDS seem pretty normal theological, not any different from my friends at BC. Meh.

I guess I'm just used to plenty of atheists/agnostics studying this at the grad level? For most classes, unless specifically labeled as such (pastoral), I could care less about someone's faith, ect. I am an agnostic, if it matters.

shalom

The theological envelope, in Christian theology at HDS is staggering--a bit of everything, but not altogether interested in "traditional theology." That is, it is not so much conservative. There's a big emphasis on progressive modern interests (which have always been of interest but are becoming more and more a part of our public "awareness"): gender, sexuality, race, and equality issues to be sure. As a UCC candidate, it's the perfect draw!

For the OP:

The draw at HDS should be great not only because of comparative work to be available - but also the consortium in Boston.

Edited by Dillskyplayer

Well, the AAR has a New Religions section or consultation -- why not look at the call for papers and past programs? They'll give you a sense of who is doing scholarship in the field and where they are.

I am trying to get your message here, but some of your word choice is obscuring what I think may be your intent. So perhaps another approach -- it's so important in online communities to be careful using language that has strong connotative meanings. Your posts about this have made use of several words and turns of phrase -- gross, lefty, wet dreams, what lefty loves -- that are highly charged and frequently used in adversarial/conflicted socio-cultural spaces. While you may be making positive, supportive statements, your word choice is undermining your intent and making you sound dismissive. Does that make sense?

I am trying to get your message here, but some of your word choice is obscuring what I think may be your intent. So perhaps another approach -- it's so important in online communities to be careful using language that has strong connotative meanings. Your posts about this have made use of several words and turns of phrase -- gross, lefty, wet dreams, what lefty loves -- that are highly charged and frequently used in adversarial/conflicted socio-cultural spaces. While you may be making positive, supportive statements, your word choice is undermining your intent and making you sound dismissive. Does that make sense?

Makes sense. I'm much more of a face-to-facer, as sarcasm and turns of phrase are lost to, well, computer monitors and cyberspace and all that. Just an observation from going to a relatively conservative school -- though I am liberal myself: "language games" are, by and large, the reasons why much of the conservative students cringe at liberal student statements. We are kind of like dogs chasing our tails, not going anywhere, because we are stuck in the trappings of offensive/inoffensive language, until we distort it into some benign, innocuous, PC technicalia--we don't usually move beyond it. Regardless, point taken. There's all sorts of people on this forum,I suppose, from all sorts of different backgrounds. Perhaps the only thing we all have in common, and that's a bit of a stretch, is that we all want to get into a grad school!

Edited by Dillskyplayer

The theological envelope, in Christian theology at HDS is staggering--a bit of everything, but not altogether interested in "traditional theology." That is, it is not so much conservative. There's a big emphasis on progressive modern interests (which have always been of interest but are becoming more and more a part of our public "awareness"): gender, sexuality, race, and equality issues to be sure. As a UCC candidate, it's the perfect draw!

For the OP:

The draw at HDS should be great not only because of comparative work to be available - but also the consortium in Boston.

So what? A lot of div schools are not conservative. They may be more than a lot of others, but I don't see how you could really say any of this without actually having gone there?

I'm just tired of hearing about how HDS is "insanely liberal" from folks who don't/didn't go there. You seem to think one cannot get a sound theological education from HDS. I guess it's always fun to pick on the big guy. Meh.

Edited by jdmhotness

So what? A lot of div schools are not conservative. They may be more than a lot of others, but I don't see how you could really say any of this without actually having gone there?

I'm just tired anytime anyone mentions HDS, it's all about how "insanely liberal" they are. Blah, blah blah. That may be partially true, but you seem to think one cannot get a sound theological education from HDS. I guess it's always fun to pick on the big guy. Meh.

Wrong. Calm. I like HDS. I want to go to HDS myself. You CAN get a sound theological education from HDS.

I am using 1. professors 2. recent scholarship 3. graduates and 4. things I read from enrolled HDS students as a litmus test.

I may not have gone there/be currently enrolled there, but I have friends who are and I trust them!

Not trying to be dismissive here. Depending on who you are, by the way, HDS can be the "big guy" or detrimental on your CV/resume. It all depends on what you want to do with your degree someday.

Where can you do Mormons and JWs? I went through last year and was accepted at a number of programs with these exact interests. (Well Mormons/Seventh Day Adventists.) I think the opposite is true - rather than these being obscure topics now, they are too popular. Most of the big programs have PhD students working in these areas. I think you've left out a number of important programs Notre Dame (Marsden,) Vanderbilt, UCSB, FSU, Washington, Chicago, Indiana, and if you are doing Mormonism specifically then Utah State and Claremont would be excellent for Masters programs (not PhD.) I think the key to study new religions is to bring it into conversation with the broader ARH scene - if we aren't doing this in the statement of purpose, we probably won't have a shot.

On a side note, Harvard has Leigh Schmidt now who hardly works on just mainstream religions.

Fair enough.

cheers <3