CUNY Graduate Center vs. UW Seattle for Pure Mathematics

Two of the schools I am currently considering for pure math are the CUNY Graduate Center and the University of Washington Seattle. I know a good amount about each school, but I'd to know what other people think in terms of which one is better for mathematics. If anyone has attended or has other experience with either one, I would gratefully welcome any input.

I'm from Seattle, didn't go to UW (although I could have, and at times think that I should have), but I'd have to think that the location for UW is better than that for CUNY, but I might be a little biased. UW has a very strong reputation for math, and it's a hard program to get in to. A lot of people who go through UW tend to want to stay in the northwest academic positions, so competition can be a little stiff out here. I've also heard that the grad stipend at UW is not very much compared to other places. Seattle is an expensive place to live, so that's something to consider. Good luck with your choices.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a summer REU in math at UW- go there!!! CUNY Grad center is pretty awful- crazy expensive to live there, they have REALLY bad funding issues (so does everyone, but theirs are worse). I have a friend who is doing Art History PhD at CUNY, and it's awful. they don't pay you when they are supposed to or the amount that they are supposed to, etc.

Seattle is a beautiful, clean, diverse place to live. The UW campus is one of hte best I have ever seen, and they have a GREAT math department that is very well known. CUNY has none of these things. Unless your significant other is in NYC or you have a VERY specific person you want as your advisor at CUNY, I cannot imagine how you could choose CUNY over UW.

Edited by equinox