Hopkins SAIS

indyir

i got a $10k financial aid for the first year through a Starr Foundation Asia or something ( 5 thousand each semester) but am paranoid about it just being a loan of some sorts. Also when can you accept the aid ? there is an incomplete document - "signed award letter". sorry i just found their website confusing !

Hello all.

Accepted to SAIS Spring '12. I noticed at least one other person with a similar situation. Would anyone be able to comment on what differences there are between matriculating in the spring as opposed to the fall?

I'm also in this boat. I e-mailed them when I got the decision (to ask if I could be moved to the Fall 11 term) and they responded today, saying that there was no appeal process, so I'm basically stuck. Does this mean that people on the waitlist now could potentially start this Fall while I wait till Spring? Starting in the Spring really does not sound attractive to me...

I'm also in this boat. I e-mailed them when I got the decision (to ask if I could be moved to the Fall 11 term) and they responded today, saying that there was no appeal process, so I'm basically stuck. Does this mean that people on the waitlist now could potentially start this Fall while I wait till Spring? Starting in the Spring really does not sound attractive to me...

I wonder if they would be more open to pushing it back - starting fall 2012? The major downside to a spring start date is that you'd be on a different schedule than the rest of your class. Not only would everyone already know each other, but you'd graduate at different times (which actually could be a good thing for the the job search...).

I'm also finding the financial aid website confusing. It lists a first year fellowship for me, but nothing about loans to cover the rest of it. Shouldn't the loan info be there as well, or am I mistaken?

Thanks...

If you've tried to calling the Fin Aid office since the emails were sent, you've probably noticed it goes straight to voicemail. Fortunately, the office has been fairly responsive via email - although they won't give out any details over email or phone (my undergrad instance in the online system is preventing me from accessing any award info). However, according to one of the email responses I received, information about fin aid specifics will also be included in a soon-to-be-received hard copy acceptance package. Maybe that will clear things up?

Shorty - you might consider sending them an email to see if they have an easy answer for you about the loans.

I tried calling the Fin Aid office today for the exact same question, but it went straight to voice-mail...

PS: I got an admit to the IDEV program. I'm new to this forum; this being my first post to thegradcafe.com :-)

I tried calling the Fin Aid office today for the exact same question, but it went straight to voice-mail...

Try sending an email - they generally respond pretty quick.

No, what was it about?

I didn't get into IDev, which was my first choice, but my letter indicated that I can choose among any of the other concentrations.

Yesterday I received a congratulatory call; I was told that the China Studies dept is interested in me and that I should expect a call from them soon. Did anyone else get a call from their concentration department? Not sure what to expect/make of this...

Hi everyone... I just received notification that I received a 20k fellowship for the first year. I know it's not renewable. However, I was wondering if there are any fellowship opportunities at SAIS for the second year. Does anyone know? Also... I am trying to calculate what would be the total tuition cost at SAIS. However, since I am a Fulbright scholar and IIE manages my application process, I don't have access to ISIS. Could someone help me with the total amount of tuition calculated for the years 2011-2012, and 2012-2013? Thank you...

SarahL: I do hope so.

JAC16: the tuition & fees info is here: http://www.sais-jhu....id/tuition.htm.

Tuition is 35,885/yr

Total estimated annual budget is 58,062/yr

Hi everyone... I just received notification that I received a 20k fellowship for the first year. I know it's not renewable. However, I was wondering if there are any fellowship opportunities at SAIS for the second year. Does anyone know? Also... I am trying to calculate what would be the total tuition cost at SAIS. However, since I am a Fulbright scholar and IIE manages my application process, I don't have access to ISIS. Could someone help me with the total amount of tuition calculated for the years 2011-2012, and 2012-2013? Thank you...

Edited by foodlover28

Did he want to chat about something specific?

No; he said he was just calling to say hi and to congratulate me, answer any questions I had and to encourage me to visit the school and attend SAIS in the fall. I think he was heading out of the office, b/c of the 6 hour time difference. It was a nice chat and I really appreciated the call.

No; he said he was just calling to say hi and to congratulate me, answer any questions I had and to encourage me to visit the school and attend SAIS in the fall. I think he was heading out of the office, b/c of the 6 hour time difference. It was a nice chat and I really appreciated the call.

The quantitative is so heavy at SAIS!

Just to let you all know, I emailed the financial aid office because there wasn't any information about federal aid in my financial summary; it only listed a first year fellowship. Well, they said they never received my FAFSA information (!!!) even though I listed the school code for SAIS on my FAFSA. So if anyone is in the same boat--if you submitted your FAFSA before the deadline but don't see any federal aid info in your financial summary--I suggest emailing the fin aid office to get it all sorted out. They responded very quickly and have been very helpful so far.

Hopefully none of you have the same issue!!