U Mich Ford School

Crazy how up and down this whole process can be, right? Just a couple of hours ago I was feeling a bit down about getting wait listed at Princeton, and now I'm smiling again, thanks to an admission to Michigan and a very generous funding offer from Yale.

I'm not sure how everyone else is coping with the roller coaster ride of results, but I just keep trying to remind myself that there are a lot of great programs out there that can provide incredible and unique opportunities to those students who seek them out. No one school is perfect. I'm trying to have faith in the sometimes confounding admissions process by reminding myself and that things tend to work out in the end, even if it's not always as we might have envisioned or hoped.

Anyway, my congratulations to everyone who got good news from the Ford School today and my sympathies to those who don't get the result they were looking for.

I was just feeling the same way, IKB... there are definitely highs and lows throughout this process, but I feel so relieved that the wait is over. Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and best of luck to everyone who is still watching and waiting. It's so important to stay positive..TGIF!!!

In!!! So excited/relieved. And god bless them for writing 'congratulations' in the subject line of the email. It felt so good to open my inbox and immediately see that. Congrats to everyone who got in so far and good luck to those still waiting! Here's hoping they offer us all loads of money!!!

very nice! I am guessing that they re only sending out admitted students letter today? And leaving the rejection letters to next week?

In!!! So excited/relieved. And god bless them for writing 'congratulations' in the subject line of the email. It felt so good to open my inbox and immediately see that. Congrats to everyone who got in so far and good luck to those still waiting! Here's hoping they offer us all loads of money!!!

Me too! Congrats everyone! It's also nice that their decision deadline is Apr 20 instead of Apr 15, for those of us waiting until the 11th hour to decide.

Current Ford students and previous applicants, does anyone have any idea what their merit aid policies are like, eg a few big scholarships, many smaller scholarships, etc? Also, is it possible for non Michigan residents to gain resident status in their second year of the program? As I recall the website was really equivocal on this.

Thanks!

Current Ford students and previous applicants, does anyone have any idea what their merit aid policies are like, eg a few big scholarships, many smaller scholarships, etc? Also, is it possible for non Michigan residents to gain resident status in their second year of the program? As I recall the website was really equivocal on this.

Well, funding will come from multiple sources. Both the Ford School and the Rackham Graduate School have funding. My understanding of the amounts is that the bigger awards, such as full fellowships, are awarded through Rackham and that the Ford school has to nominate admits for those awards. The smaller awards, on the other hand, are likely mostly from some sort of Ford School fellowship fund. I have no idea what sort of range to expect from the smaller awards... In either case, you'll know next week.

Is the tuition fee for non resident student 18k US $ per year for the MPP program?

No, it's $18,000 per semester for tuition. Estimated Cost of Attendance is listed as around $27,000 a semester. The COA is how they determine your aid eligibility when it comes to loans, etc.

The registrar would be the source of all information regarding residency requirements. My understanding is that you are not able to get residency in your second year. That said, I stopped caring after I got an assistantship. If you want an unequivocal answer then I suggest you call the registrar and ask.

Waitlisted. Drats. I dont think its worth to wait till the end of April. I doubt there is any hope for funding as well...

Congrats to those who got in, and best of luck for those who didn't. Hopefully you get other choices.

I was told today that the upper limit for travel reimbursement is $250. Bummer for me too, coming from Haiti.

Thank you for your insights Fadeindreams..they are always helpful. Well, unless the Ford School will be willing to pay as much as $2000 for my plane ticket from Africa to Michigan :rolleyes: for the preview weekend in April, I will surely be there and check out Ross as well! But I totally agree with you though I can always apply again next fall. Now I might be persuaded once the Ford School gives me some funds. I have already started putting together some GSA/GSI applications as well.....hopefully I will get some news on that. A wonderful weekend to everyone! Go Blue!!!!!

Waitlisted. Drats. I dont think its worth to wait till the end of April. I doubt there is any hope for funding as well...

Congrats to those who got in, and best of luck for those who didn't. Hopefully you get other choices.

Yeah I just got waitlisted too. Chances are I won't have any new grades, recommendations or employment before the end of April so do you think its even worth being on the list? I definitely won't get any funding either.

Dammit, U of M waitlisted me for undergrad too and I really thought I'd have a good shot this year.

Just checked Wolverine Access and my "Financial Aid Summary" shows a bunch of federal aid (Stafford loans, work-study, etc.) but no merit aid. Oy.

Anyway, if you're anxious to hear about funding, you might want to see if your Wolverine account has also been updated.

Just checked Wolverine Access and my "Financial Aid Summary" shows a bunch of federal aid (Stafford loans, work-study, etc.) but no merit aid. Oy.

Anyway, if you're anxious to hear about funding, you might want to see if your Wolverine account has also been updated.

After seeing your note, I went and logged in, and mine is only showing loans as well. Maybe I'm being wishful, but I didn't get the feeling it was updated for the merit-based grants. It all seemed need-based, judging by the "Eligibility" link, the comment: "Please note summary may not reflect your official award", and no 'messages' under that tab. At least I'm not losing hope yet... seems possible they haven't finalized the funding yet, or at least haven't updated the system.

After seeing your note, I went and logged in, and mine is only showing loans as well. Maybe I'm being wishful, but I didn't get the feeling it was updated for the merit-based grants. It all seemed need-based, judging by the "Eligibility" link, the comment: "Please note summary may not reflect your official award", and no 'messages' under that tab. At least I'm not losing hope yet... seems possible they haven't finalized the funding yet, or at least haven't updated the system.

Email that was sent out today noted that information about fellowships will be sent out by the end of this week.

Yeah, I'm still clinging to hope for a fellowship too. I agree that there are certain ambiguous phrases sprinkled throughout the Wolverine site that suggest there could be more to come.

Aside:

"Iwantmympp" is a such a great name. :)

Edited by researchworks

Your aid information on Wolverine Access is maintained by Financial Aid, not the Ford School. The information you currently see is simply based on your FAFSA and residency status. It says nothing about your aid status. In fact, even if you are awarded aid it will likely take a while until it is reflected on Wolverine Access. As an example, I secured my assistantship in June and it didn't have any effect on my financial aid summary until August.

Two notes:

1. Rackham posted four Graduate Student Staff Assistant (GSSA) positions today. You can view them at rackham.umich.edu/jobs/. Most, if not all, have applications due on the 31st of March.
  2. We'll be calling admitted students next Tuesday night from the Ford School. By we I mean current students. Look out.