U Mich Ford School

THANK YOU! I really owe you a drink.

Your aid information on Wolverine Access is maintained by Financial Aid, not the Ford School. The information you currently see is simply based on your FAFSA and residency status. It says nothing about your aid status. In fact, even if you are awarded aid it will likely take a while until it is reflected on Wolverine Access. As an example, I secured my assistantship in June and it didn't have any effect on my financial aid summary until August.

Two notes:

1. Rackham posted four Graduate Student Staff Assistant (GSSA) positions today. You can view them at rackham.umich.edu/jobs/. Most, if not all, have applications due on the 31st of March.
  2. We'll be calling admitted students next Tuesday night from the Ford School. By we I mean current students. Look out.

Full tuition and stipend... gee whizz! I hadn't even dreamed of getting that much funding!

I got a letter about need-based financial aid yesterday (just subsidized loans) and thought that was all I was getting, so I was up all night trying to figure out how on earth I could afford Ford. I had finally decided that I just couldn't... and now this! The applications process has been such a fucking emotional rollercoaster... UGH!

Wow, impressive, congrats!

I just got my email too. They're offering me "a fellowship covering the difference between the cost of tuition and fees from the out-of-state level (currently $18,335 per semester) to the in-state level (currently $10,074 per semester) for four semesters."

Anybody familiar with Michigan tuition rates and UMich's relationship with the state? Are they facing double-digit tuition increases annually or did they already go through that enough? I'm in Washington state and the legislature is gutting higher ed, so fellowships that are pegged to public school tuition make me nervous.

Until today, I just had loans listed in my financial aid award notice, but I just got an e-mail stating that I've been offered a full tuition scholarship for 4 semesters.

Congrats to all of you who received scholarships!

Here's my email and I can't really figured out what does it mean by saying: "in the amount of $20,000 OR $10,000"

I am pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a fellowship in the amount of $20,000 or $10,000 for each year of your two years of study in the master of public policy program at the Ford School of Public Policy. The following circumstances may affect your fellowship funding:

● Less than full-time enrollment in a semester

● Enrollment in a dual degree program

● Receipt of additional funding

● Academic probation/suspension

● In-state student status

Can anybody explain? Thanks?

Congrats on your funding! I'm fairly certain that they mean $20k total; $10k per year.

Here's my email and I can't really figured out what does it mean by saying: "in the amount of $20,000 OR $10,000"

I am pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a fellowship in the amount of $20,000 or $10,000 for each year of your two years of study in the master of public policy program at the Ford School of Public Policy. The following circumstances may affect your fellowship funding:

I would interpret that as $10,000 each year, which totals $20,000 over the 2 years. Congrats!

Wow, impressive, congrats!

I just got my email too. They're offering me "a fellowship covering the difference between the cost of tuition and fees from the out-of-state level (currently $18,335 per semester) to the in-state level (currently $10,074 per semester) for four semesters."

Anybody familiar with Michigan tuition rates and UMich's relationship with the state? Are they facing double-digit tuition increases annually or did they already go through that enough? I'm in Washington state and the legislature is gutting higher ed, so fellowships that are pegged to public school tuition make me nervous.

I received the same award. Not sure it's going to be enough. Time to crunch some numbers!

Full tuition and stipend... gee whizz! I hadn't even dreamed of getting that much funding!

I got a letter about need-based financial aid yesterday (just subsidized loans) and thought that was all I was getting, so I was up all night trying to figure out how on earth I could afford Ford. I had finally decided that I just couldn't... and now this! The applications process has been such a fucking emotional rollercoaster... UGH!

I got the same email and was thinking the same until I got the fellowship and stipend (+ health insurance!!!) this morning. I was set to decline their offer because I couldn't afford it, but now it is my number 1 choice! :)

I was wondering if anyone else applied for the Bohnett Fellowship on here. It was due on Sunday at midnight, with a week's notice. I imagine the competition is less heated for this fellowship because of the short turn-around, essay component, and perhaps the limited appeal of interning for the City of Detroit.

The interview is April 7, but the website did not say when they would inform people they were finalists. If anyone knows this information, please share!

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone attend the Ford open house? any obeservation and thoughts? Thanks!

I was at the open house, and overall I thought it was really impressive. Ford is clearly very well funded (the building is beautiful and huge). They really harped on how you spend most of the 2 years learning skills (quant and writing) rather than diving into specific policy topics (not only do they not have specialization tracks, but you don't even choose domestic/international). They have 4 full time career services people, and 3 full time writing instructors, which I thought was astounding. Career services and the alumni network seemed really strong. What else... the negatives for me were how intense the curriculum seemed (students made comments that they're in the building every day, all the time, and doing calc problem sets at 3 am), and the location. Overall, if you're looking to build up your quant skills, seemed like a great option with strong job placement.

Wow researchworks, this was really unnecessary. If it really gets to you that Stella keeps hammering the fact that she got into HKS, I suggest you PM her. This is just childish to say the least. Whatever happened to being happy for people when they are celebrating. Quit hating and celebrate. Peace!

Hey, Stella, everybody is now aware that you got into HKS. Congrats. You've mentioned it approximately 1,967,561 times, so please don't feel the need to keep reminding people in every thread, even when it's not relevant, over and over, etc.

Personally, I think it's "childish" to run around bragging, but I apologize if I offended anyone.

Wow researchworks, this was really unnecessary. If it really gets to you that Stella keeps hammering the fact that she got into HKS, I suggest you PM her. This is just childish to say the least. Whatever happened to being happy for people when they are celebrating. Quit hating and celebrate. Peace!

I was at the open house, and overall I thought it was really impressive. Ford is clearly very well funded (the building is beautiful and huge). They really harped on how you spend most of the 2 years learning skills (quant and writing) rather than diving into specific policy topics (not only do they not have specialization tracks, but you don't even choose domestic/international). They have 4 full time career services people, and 3 full time writing instructors, which I thought was astounding. Career services and the alumni network seemed really strong. What else... the negatives for me were how intense the curriculum seemed (students made comments that they're in the building every day, all the time, and doing calc problem sets at 3 am), and the location. Overall, if you're looking to build up your quant skills, seemed like a great option with strong job placement.

I think your analysis of Ford is pretty much spot on. I'm not going to go out of my way to add anything to what you've said, however, I'd like to reiterate that I'm available if anyone has any questions. Feel free to PM me if it's private, but it's best if the question is added to the thread. I have the thread set to alert me when anyone replies (hence me being on the forum right now).

As a current student I am 100% certain that I made the right choice for my own interests, both professional and academic. My perception of peer institutions and their relative prestige has really changed a year into the program. I feel like I've accumulated sufficient personal experience and anecdotes from others to say that if you're looking for a top tier policy school with excellent career outcomes then you should go to one of 5 or 6 schools: HKS, Berkeley, Ford, Harris and two others that would change relative to your career aspirations. It's mainly my personal opinion, sure, but it's also informed by comments made to me by a wide array of people, including a couple of really high profile individuals in high profile positions, that have told me as much. Take it as you will. Management and administration school relative rankings would obviously be different.

Anyway, feel free to prod me with questions.

I visited Ford on Saturday only, since I was at Harris on Friday. I am really struggling with the decision between Harris, Ford and Georgetown.

Ford concern: Obviously those in the policy field know that Ford is an excellent program ... but I think the prestige of UMichigan overall is lower than UChicago or even Georgetown. So, would a hiring manager who wasn't an MPP know that UMichigan was one of the best? What about peers and colleagues? I would like this not to be an issue, but I guess I'm just thinking about how the "brand" looks on the resume.

Ford question: Do students who are interested in the international side have sufficient coursework and opportunities to engage? I'd say Gtown's big strength (other than location) is the international programs. Does Ford have good intl coursework and are students in that field able to find relevant work after graduation?

Thanks any and all for thoughts ... I am basically three-way split right now and going in endless circular arguments with myself :)

I visited Ford on Saturday only, since I was at Harris on Friday. I am really struggling with the decision between Harris, Ford and Georgetown.

Ford concern: Obviously those in the policy field know that Ford is an excellent program ... but I think the prestige of UMichigan overall is lower than UChicago or even Georgetown. So, would a hiring manager who wasn't an MPP know that UMichigan was one of the best? What about peers and colleagues? I would like this not to be an issue, but I guess I'm just thinking about how the "brand" looks on the resume.

Ford question: Do students who are interested in the international side have sufficient coursework and opportunities to engage? I'd say Gtown's big strength (other than location) is the international programs. Does Ford have good intl coursework and are students in that field able to find relevant work after graduation?

Thanks any and all for thoughts ... I am basically three-way split right now and going in endless circular arguments with myself :)

U-M has an excellent reputation outside of the Ford School. U-M is generally and consistently regarded as a top 25 university in the world when it comes to rankings (though those are obviously not without fault). This means that the programs that would be considered cognates to policy, such as political science, economics, sociology, public health, international relations, etc, are all well regarded. I wouldn't worry about U-M's reputation one bit. Before coming to Michigan I would have personally ranked the three you mentioned UChicago, U-M and then Georgetown. Then again, no doubt they are close.

There are sufficient international courses for students, like myself, interested in international policy. A former ambassador teaches courses regularly, for example, that students universally recommend as among the best they take at the Ford School. On top of that you have the International Economic Development Program that travels every spring break to a developing country to engage in substantive policy work (last year it was Grenada, next year it's Colombia). Lastly, you have access to the expansive and high quality offerings across campus. While I don't like US News and World Report's methodology, I encourage you to check out their rankings of other programs you'd be interested taking electives from, be it sociology, education, public health or whatever. You'll find they are all highly ranked. Keep in mind that you can take a full 12 credits outside of the Ford School.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

U-M has an excellent reputation outside of the Ford School. U-M is generally and consistently regarded as a top 25 university in the world when it comes to rankings (though those are obviously not without fault). This means that the programs that would be considered cognates to policy, such as political science, economics, sociology, public health, international relations, etc, are all well regarded. I wouldn't worry about U-M's reputation one bit. Before coming to Michigan I would have personally ranked the three you mentioned UChicago, U-M and then Georgetown. Then again, no doubt they are close.

There are sufficient international courses for students, like myself, interested in international policy. A former ambassador teaches courses regularly, for example, that students universally recommend as among the best they take at the Ford School. On top of that you have the International Economic Development Program that travels every spring break to a developing country to engage in substantive policy work (last year it was Grenada, next year it's Colombia). Lastly, you have access to the expansive and high quality offerings across campus. While I don't like US News and World Report's methodology, I encourage you to check out their rankings of other programs you'd be interested taking electives from, be it sociology, education, public health or whatever. You'll find they are all highly ranked. Keep in mind that you can take a full 12 credits outside of the Ford School.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks a lot! Is the IEDP open to all students who are interested in participating?

• 2 weeks later...