New Laptop?!

mssyAK

Anybody heard anything about Sony Vaio laptops?

They're quite good. But it's not so much about the manufacturer as it is about the model. The low end models will always be cheap and flimsy and the high end models will always be faster, stronger and better--Sony, Acer, Toshiba all the same. Buy for the features that you need. Screen resolution, speed, weight, want to plat games? etc etc... You get what you pay for. I already have a relatively light-weight laptop, but I don't like carrying much weight around. Is it absolutely necessary to carry one into classes? I'm in the Humanities.

Edited by The Green Bean

Macs are worth every damn penny and more. They're stable, they're fast and my time is worth more than crappy Microsoft software. I use a PC at work and hate it.

There is a new Mac Pro model coming out, so our campus computer store has heavily discounted the old MacBook Pros. I think I'll get one, since the price is essentially the same as the new MacBook. The MacBook is enough for almost any humanities/social sciences needs; I have no idea about hard sciences or engineering. It's worth it (and very easy) to max out your RAM yourself (buy it online and pop it in;it takes two minutes in a MacBook) and you can also install a larger hard drive easily. I found it much less expensive to do that myself than to customize a MacBook from the start.

I've had Mac laptops since 2004 (iBook and then MacBook). I'm fairly computer-literate, I grew up using MS products, and I will never go back. The extra cost initially is so, so worth it.

Macs are worth every damn penny and more. They're stable, they're fast and my time is worth more than crappy Microsoft software. I use a PC at work and hate it.

There is a new Mac Pro model coming out, so our campus computer store has heavily discounted the old MacBook Pros. I think I'll get one, since the price is essentially the same as the new MacBook. The MacBook is enough for almost any humanities/social sciences needs; I have no idea about hard sciences or engineering. It's worth it (and very easy) to max out your RAM yourself (buy it online and pop it in;it takes two minutes in a MacBook) and you can also install a larger hard drive easily. I found it much less expensive to do that myself than to customize a MacBook from the start.

I've had Mac laptops since 2004 (iBook and then MacBook). I'm fairly computer-literate, I grew up using MS products, and I will never go back. The extra cost initially is so, so worth it.

I disagree having owned a Mac since 2006 till 2009. Windows 7 is as good if not better than Mac OS. It's stabler than the previous versions and works for me. The main advantage is that you get a greater choice for hardware customization. For example, my current Sony Vaio has a 13" screen with a resolution of (1600x900) which is makes it bigger than Apple's 15" (1440x900). Furthermore, it has a dedicated video card which allows me to play graphic-heavy games. I do miss Apple's trackpad though. It was the best I've ever used and they've made it even better.

I started out with a Dell Latitude which took me through my last year of high school and all four years of UG before dying the year after I graduated. There was a lot I liked about it, and I certainly never regretted purchasing it, but I had consistent trouble with software issues, slowing, freezing, and crashing. The hard drive had to be replaced twice, and the keyboard malfunctioned once and I had to get a new one (hard to type without the 'n' and 'y' keys! :P). Its troubles weren't enough to make me tear my hair out, but it was irksome, especially on the occasions when I was trying to get work done. I'm not a PC gamer and I use my laptop for little else than work, internet browsing, and watching DVDs now and again.

Like I said, I really liked the Dell, and I would certainly consider purchasing another.

When it came time for me to replace the Dell, however, I bought a MacBook Pro, largely because I loved both my iphone and my brother's iMac. I've had it for two years now and I absolutely love it. I have never had it freeze up on me or crash, and I haven't had any software or speed issues. It does occasionally have trouble finding the wireless connection in my apartment, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the AirPort or of the two-bit, used wireless router I bought second-hand. Honestly, if it were to fall apart today I would buy another, even with the expense. The multi-touch trackpad is incredible, and I can't imagine using anything else. It's hard to describe just why I like the Mac so much better. It's intuitive, certainly, but there's a certain flow to it that just gets me.

I'm not a fan of the Mac vs. other PCs or Windows vs. Apple debate. Honestly, I think either way you're going to get a good computer, and each system has its pros and cons and may be better or worse for your particular needs. If you're doing a lot of heavy processing or like to play video games on your computer/online, a Mac might not be the best choice, and if you chose to buy one and make the necessary upgrades it would cost a fortune. I'd buy a Dell again, but I'm personally sold on Macs, just because of the user interface. It all comes down to what you need in a computer, and what you want to get out of it.

Hope that helps.

Edited by jaxzwolf

I disagree having owned a Mac since 2006 till 2009. Windows 7 is as good if not better than Mac OS. It's stabler than the previous versions and works for me. The main advantage is that you get a greater choice for hardware customization. For example, my current Sony Vaio has a 13" screen with a resolution of (1600x900) which is makes it bigger than Apple's 15" (1440x900). Furthermore, it has a dedicated video card which allows me to play graphic-heavy games. I do miss Apple's trackpad though. It was the best I've ever used and they've made it even better.

Meh. Windows 7 seems like a second-rate copycat of Leopard, to be honest. I use it at work.

9) This is a big one: With a mac, you can have multiple program gui's open from the same program at the same time: for example, I can have ten windows documents open at the same time. (Last time I used a window machine, this wasn't possible: it might have changed...)

Were you using a predecessor to Windows 3.1? Because, uhh.... :huh: .

I have a question. I've got a netbook and I was thinking about buying a laptop and then a friend recommended me just getting a desktop computer when I arrive to the US (I am an international student). I kinda like this idea because when I am at home I prefer to use a desktop computer and I am not so sure I will use a laptop so much outside of my appartment. May be there is something about grad students' life I don't know? May be I absolutely need a laptop?? What do you think?

(I will have my netbook with me anyway so if I absolutely need to type something outside of my appartment, like in a library, I can take it with me.)

Nope, I think your friend is right. Bring your netbook with you and then you'll have both.

Nope, I think your friend is right. Bring your netbook with you and then you'll have both.

Thanks! :)

I'm so glad I realized that before I have bought a laptop! I really love desktop computers :wub:

I love my Dell Inspiron 1501, but it's going on 5 years, and I fantasize about Macs, though I know nothing about them.

Does anyone have any advice on a computer they purchased for going back to school? What did you end up buying? What do you wish you had bought? What specs were you looking for? And most importantly, if you own a Mac, out of all the beautiful Macs to choose from, which did you pick?

Any help is much appreciated!

It all depends on what you're going to use it for. I'm in a technology-related field, with a lot of coding and graphics applications. Until recently, I used a PC desktop at home (a 6-core athlon system I built,) and a Macbook at school. My program is extremely mac-centric, and if you just use the same thing as everyone else, it just makes life easier. When I got home, though, I did a lot of heavy rendering on my Windows desktop machine, which was not only much faster than my macbook, but cost less than half as much.

I bought a HP HDX a few years back, which doesn't sound glamorous... but remarkably it's the best laptop I've ever owned. Besides the fact that it always runs hot, it still running well without any problems. As best deal for the money at the time as well.

Is this Woot! a reliable website?

Yes. It's now owned by Amazon, actually.

BTW, want to second someone else's recommendation of Newegg.com. We also use them. Woot! takes a while to get the hang of -- it helps if you look at the archives to know the sort of thing they're likely to offer, and then pay attention to the comments when something like it comes up. So for example, I'm in the market for a 32-37" LCD TV, preferably 1080p; I want to spend less than $225. So I'm waiting for a refurb or similar deal on Woot to come up. It takes patience.

I also recommend FatWallet.com, which is a forum like this one (only flashier) devoted to sharing online deals. I get leads on good deals that way, too, especially around the holidays.

Edited by Trin

I bought a Mac a year and a half ago and absolutely HATE it. It is more difficult to do pretty much anything and crashes regularly. I may have got a lemon, but for that kind of money, I really hoped for better. Funny thing is, the Ipod touch I had bit the dust after 2 months of use, so I have very little faith in Apple. They did replace it, at least. I use my old Sony Vaio laptop most of the time. It's 5 or 6 years old, but is much easier to use than the Mac, and doesn't crash. So, in my opinion, Macs aren't worth it.

I don't disagree with the positives about Macs, but just an alternative viewpoint.

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 - 1012 Laptop (netbook) that I use primarily for schoolwork and its absolutely wonderful. I initially bought it in June before leaving for Europe so that I could have a lightweight computer with me for travel-blogging.

It survived the entire 4 month trip with no problems.

I thought that once I got back I'd probably have to buy a Mac immediately, but its been several months and I haven't felt the need to upgrade thus far.

I absolutely love it!

Oh, and it cost me exactly $270.49 (including taxes and shipping). Granted there was a fantastic sale going on and I found some coupons online....

Anyways, just another option!

I installed the new Ubuntu 10.1 on my laptop last night. It's really nice, prettier than ever, and has the new Ubuntu Cloud storage feature, which I haven't tried out yet. For people who do mainly word processing, spreadsheets, and internet access, it works great. So in the whole Mac vs Windows debate, the third alternative is neither.

Edited by Golden Monkey

if you're only going to be writing papers and surfing the internet, then a netbook is all one really needs. I've been using a Toshiba NB-205 for a year now, and it's absolutely wonderful. The newer version of my netbook is even better. The keyboard size is 95% full-size, 160gb hard drive, 2 gb ram, etc. Is it great for watching movies and music? Not really, but then again, I don't have much time for that anyway.

I'm also considering getting an ipad for this fall since so much of what i read is articles, and i'm sick of printing out a hundred pages or more each week.

HTH!!

Dell's are terrible computers. Really cheap anywhere they don't expect people to look, and overall just shoddy.

I have an old thinkpad that's served me well and is really robust, but I've had occasional problems and the quality has dropped quite a bit from what it used to be before Lenovo.

The best engineered laptops on the market now are macbooks. You pay a premium, but I'd say it's worth it, and it's what I'm going to be getting next. If you really need windows, your school probably has a license for you for free, and you can dual boot. If you insist on not getting a mac, it's probably because you want a cheap computer, in which case don't go with windows either - it'll eat your resources. go with a netbook or other cheap laptop, and install ubuntu or fedora linux as others have said.

I'm also considering getting an ipad for this fall since so much of what i read is articles, and i'm sick of printing out a hundred pages or more each week.

I bought a netbook and really didn't use it that much as the screen resolution made doing anything on it tricky. I came into a bit of extra cash last year so I splurged on a 13" MacbookPro and an iPad. I initially thought the iPad was goint to be a bit of an extravagant waste, but I was so smitten by it when I tried one that I couldn't resist. However, it has changed the way I study. Although I wouldn't use it for extended writing (I don't have an additional keyboard for it), the ability to find, read and annotate articles, build databases, record lectures with synced notes, and just general web nerding made it worth every penny. I can't give up the analog book in favor of ebooks just yet, but for shorter readings, it's amazing.

Although I was a Windows desktop / Apple laptop guy for years, I'm at the point now where I'm willing to say goodbye to Windows forever -- just waiting on that new iMac!