Yale IR Results

What kind of soft factors did you have?

I graduated from a small liberal arts college in 2007 with majors in Music and Art History (studied abroad one semester in Vienna). I lived in Germany for 1 year afterward studying music and then working as an au pair. Then I worked two years in the book publishing industry back in the states. I picked up a Turkic language along the way and got part-time translation work for an archaeological dig. I've had a couple of false starts, career-wise.

I graduated from a small liberal arts college in 2007 with majors in Music and Art History (studied abroad one semester in Vienna). I lived in Germany for 1 year afterward studying music and then working as an au pair. Then I worked two years in the book publishing industry back in the states. I picked up a Turkic language along the way and got part-time translation work for an archaeological dig. I've had a couple of false starts, career-wise.

Congratulations! I'm rejected :-(

Guess it's because I don't have any full-time work experience or any interesting life experiences since I'm a senior in college.

I study at a top liberal arts college and my "stats" are all higher than yours (except for the AW part on GRE) but rejected anyways...

Are you going there though?

Edited by inspiration

Guess it's because I don't have any full-time work experience or any interesting life experiences since I'm a senior in college.

I study at a top liberal arts college and my "stats" are all higher than yours (except for the AW part on GRE) but rejected anyways...

ha found a buddy in here. hooray for rejected :P I had work experience and research internship experience at woodrow wilson center. GRE Q: 7500, V: 650 GPA:3.43 overall

Guess it's my GPA that had me rejected

I haven't heard back either....that's strange.

Slightly less strange for me now that I know I'm not alone. So, thanks for that. . . It would be nice if the program had an admissions blog though.

Sorry about the rejection. :( I definitely got the sense that these programs prioritized work/travel experience and that the hard numbers are only a (perhaps small?) part of the total package. No idea whether I'm going since I haven't heard back from the rest--but it's a big relief to know that I have a really good option should the other schools not come through for me.

Are you sure the hard copy letter will include funding info? I keep having this horrible thought that I won't find out about funding until a lot later...

cch604--I called and they said there's a batch going out today due to an administrative error.

Thanks....but I just got it and I didn't get inunsure.gif

Oh well, at least I have other acceptances. Still waiting on SAIS and Fletcher

I, too, was rejected. The letter was pretty impersonal, and I get the feeling that there were not "10,700" applicants for the IR program.

Looks like I'm waiting for Fletcher and the DC trio now.

I, too, was rejected. The letter was pretty impersonal, and I get the feeling that there were not "10,700" applicants for the IR program.

Looks like I'm waiting for Fletcher and the DC trio now.

Well, there probably were 10,700 applicants for the graduate school of arts and science, which we applied through.

Anyway, congrats to anyone who got in!

Are you sure the hard copy letter will include funding info? I keep having this horrible thought that I won't find out about funding until a lot later...

I hope not. I won't be able to decide on which school till I know about the funding. In any case, I'll have to wait for at least 10 more days till the letter reaches Pakistan!! huh.gif

Yeah, me neither - I too am a college senior, though in the UK (I'm an American). I also had high stats, fantastic recommendations, fluent Chinese... guess time to take a couple years out & re-apply

So I just got my hardcopy letter from Yale, informing me that they cannot offer any funding. Bummer. Does anyone know how flexible they may be on this? For example, if I am offered money from elsewhere, might I be able to use that as leverage to get Yale to reconsider (and shower me with cash)? Any recommendations on how to go about negotiating on this? Is it futile?