Speed Reading Programs

I'm wondering if any of the "speed reading" programs out there are worth it for graduate students? Anyone have any experience with speed reading? If so, which programs did you benefit from or which ones were a waste of time? :)

Edited by theregalrenegade

I teach speed reading in many UK universities - to post graduates, academic staff and support staff - with really good results. Than answer is that speed reading techniques do help graduate students - you can learn how to do it on a course or from a book but to make the skills stick you have to practice. Speed reading is really about learning a number of effective reading habits - and working to eliminate old habits that are not useful. And learning new habits is not necessarily a quick and easy thing to do! I have produced a neat audio course called 'Speed Reading for Success' which tells you exactly how to go about learning. Feedback from users is really good - you can find out more on our website www.word-smiths.co.uk. The download version is not expensive. Email me at jane@word-smiths.co.uk if you have any problems once you start to learn. Good luck with this!

• 2 weeks later...

I once attended a speed reading workshop. I did not find it useful. It's very hard to do speed reading in my field (engineering). You cant speed read through a page of equations. I imagine it works for other kinds of readings. I am not sure.

I know that this thread may be just a hidden advertisement; but, I just wanted to share my experience.

Here are are a few tips I've heard from others:

-It's easier to read print than a computer screen.

-Hold the thing you are reading in your hands (as opposed to letting it rest on a table).

-Read the first and last sentence of every paragraph.

-Look for key phrases (for ex., "The most remarkable thing...," "The point is...")

• 1 year later...

I once attended a speed reading workshop. I did not find it useful. It's very hard to do speed reading in my field (engineering). You cant speed read through a page of equations. I imagine it works for other kinds of readings. I am not sure.

I know that this thread may be just a hidden advertisement; but, I just wanted to share my experience.

I agree - many of the papers I have to wade through are very technical; speed reading could be useful

to get an overall feel for the work, but I usually have to pick it apart bit by bit. I always read with a pencil or something, find

it helps to follow and underline/make notes - turning it into an active process helps me remember important details.

My problem lately seems more related to concentration, I'll be thinking/worrying about several things at once and keep

jumping from one activity or task to the next, can be quite frustrating.