Creative Writing, SFSU, USF, or SDSU

moni185

Does anyone here know anything about the Creative Writing MFA Programs at SFSU, USF, or SDSU? I have been accepted to SFSU, and I am on the waitlist for the other two. I looked at some really old rankings (from 1998) of Creative Writing Programs, but I am sure since then a lot has changed. I heard that it is difficult to rank these programs, but general information about the schools would also help me. If I do get off the waitlist, I want to make sure that I am ready to make a quick decision, and right know I am kind of leaning towards USF, because it is a small private school in the city. However, San Diego sounds more appealing in terms of location...Please help!

SFSU is offering financial aid. I am not sure about the other two since I am on their waitlist. I know that I probably should just take what I have in hand. But it's so difficult to decide when it makes up the next 2/3 years of your life. I only have until April 30th to take the offer from SFSU, and USF told me that they will notify me at the end of April if I got off the waitlist, which is cutting it very close. I'm just wondering if it might be better to attend a private school vs a public school. I am from Germany and we don't really have that many private universities, and the public universities are generally better.

I don't think you can go wrong with SF State, but I'm probably biased because I was born in the Bay Area. Locally, the school's writing and English programs have excellent reputations. Plus, even if USF did offer you money, tuition at SF State would probably far less. Have you visited the campus? It's located on the outskirts of the city (i.e. "the boring part") and the campus itself isn't much to look at, but you can find much cheaper housing around the school than in other parts of the city, especially if you are willing to live with roommates. Plus, the Bay Area is bursting with writers and aspiring writers, so you'll have tons of options for extracurricular activities--readings, writing groups, etc. But again, I'm a native, so it's hard for me to be objective.

I'm probably going to SF State, too (but not for creative writing), so maybe I'll see you there!

What are you studying? I will probably accept the offer from SFSU tomorrow since I haven't heard anything from the other programs. I don't even know where I stand on their waitlists. Yeah, maybe I will see you there... I did my undergrad at the UW, so I'm used to a big state school.

• 3 years later...