Assistantship

For those people who have been offered assistantships, what's a typical teaching load? For those of you already in programs, what's a manageable teaching load during your first year? What are people's experiences with this stuff?

For those people who have been offered assistantships, what's a typical teaching load? For those of you already in programs, what's a manageable teaching load during your first year? What are people's experiences with this stuff?

Ideally you shouldn't have to teach at all in your first year. But if you do have to teach, it's not the end of the world. One course per term should be the max for the entire time you're in your program. Be wary of any program that expects you to teach 1-2 or 2-2 at any time throughout your graduate career. They don't have your best research interests at heart.

Ideally you shouldn't have to teach at all in your first year. But if you do have to teach, it's not the end of the world. One course per term should be the max for the entire time you're in your program. Be wary of any program that expects you to teach 1-2 or 2-2 at any time throughout your graduate career. They don't have your best research interests at heart.

Wow, really? The schools that have offered me funding (in the form of teaching assistantships) all would have me teaching at least 1-1 during my first year, with the option to do more after that...

Edited by snappysorbet

Be wary of any program that expects you to teach 1-2 or 2-2 at any time throughout your graduate career. They don't have your best research interests at heart.

I can understand your sentiment here, but don't know that I can fully agree. It seems you should look at how you are compensated for assuming this teaching load, Snappy, what the other perqs of the program happen to be, etc. That is to say, take this on a case-by-case basis.

Along with that, my MA was 1-2 for both the first and second year, and yeah, although this did take away time from research, I was (and am constantly) enlivened by how my research is often "embodied" through the act of teaching. Then again, I am speaking from a purely comp/rhet perspective, so for your situation, lifealive's advice might ring more true? I don't know--what I do know is that for me it is increasingly difficult to dichotomize teaching and research time into discrete categories--I am always noticing their interplay.

Then again, I am speaking from a purely comp/rhet perspective, so for your situation, lifealive's advice might ring more true? I don't know--what I do know is that for me it is increasingly difficult to dichotomize teaching and research time into discrete categories--I am always noticing their interplay.

That's a really good point, Grifter. Thank you. One of the reasons I actually applied to PhD programs is to explore and research introductory composition courses, which is what I would be teaching with these assistantships I've been offered. In that sense, my research and teaching would definitely be overlapping. Still, I want to make sure I'm not spreading myself too thin. One program (my top so far) requires a 2-2 load, plus coursework, and to be honest, that worries me.

That's a really good point, Grifter. Thank you. One of the reasons I actually applied to PhD programs is to explore and research introductory composition courses, which is what I would be teaching with these assistantships I've been offered. In that sense, my research and teaching would definitely be overlapping. Still, I want to make sure I'm not spreading myself too thin. One program (my top so far) requires a 2-2 load, plus coursework, and to be honest, that worries me.

Teaching one class will give you ample material and experience to work with for your research. Even pedagogy and composition people need some space for their own writing and coursework. Most graduate programs with which I'm familiar are adamant about keeping the teaching load to one class per term (and if they allow you to take on another class, they compensate you for it). To be blunt, I'd be a little concerned about the 2-2 load. Frankly I'm a little shocked that a first-year graduate student would be put into a situation where they'd have to teach two classes--I'm speaking from experience when I say that that is A LOT. If you absolutely love the program and feel you'll get a good job afterwards, then go for it. But you'll want to ask how long it takes most grad students to finish the program, how many students they expect you to teach per class, and where PhDs get placed.

I'll offer one more thing and then I'll pipe down. I think that much of this is a matter of perspective--your past work experience/psychology (tendency to obsess or not, etc)...I know that even with my 1-2 load first year, the thing that struck me most directly about graduate school (and what instantly endeared me to it) was how much time i had...i was fairly diligent in getting my reading done, prepping for classes, etc, and then it seemed like i had gallons of time to my self (which i filled with a hearty dose of hiking, fishing, antiquing, food-eating, etc). I say this, though at the time I watched some members of my cohort stress endlessly about the amount of work/time required. I am NOT saying this to indicate that I am some sort of scholarly badass or teaching prodigy--I am clearly neither, and some in my cohort shared my amazement about our free time. Your situation will be unique to you, so choose what you think suits your lifestyle and professional goals best. Rock forth, dear snappy.

Can someone please clarify the 1-1 / 1-2 / 2-2 systems for me? Still a bit hazy on it. Thanks.

Courses per semester: Fall - Spring.

Along those lines, I wonder, do quarter schools have a similar measurement? 1-1-1?

I'll offer one more thing and then I'll pipe down. I think that much of this is a matter of perspective--your past work experience/psychology (tendency to obsess or not, etc)...I know that even with my 1-2 load first year, the thing that struck me most directly about graduate school (and what instantly endeared me to it) was how much time i had...i was fairly diligent in getting my reading done, prepping for classes, etc, and then it seemed like i had gallons of time to my self (which i filled with a hearty dose of hiking, fishing, antiquing, food-eating, etc). I say this, though at the time I watched some members of my cohort stress endlessly about the amount of work/time required. I am NOT saying this to indicate that I am some sort of scholarly badass or teaching prodigy--I am clearly neither, and some in my cohort shared my amazement about our free time. Your situation will be unique to you, so choose what you think suits your lifestyle and professional goals best. Rock forth, dear snappy.

Grifter, thank you. I do have some experience with grad school already (MA) and some experience teaching (adjunct), so neither will be new to me. I really do like the program a lot, although a 2-2 load seems like more than most programs have their first year students teaching, even at the PhD level. And you're absolutely right: this is a matter of perspective, and it will most likely differ for each individual person.

Everybody's input here has been awesome. I got the info about my assistantships, and instantly knew I needed to seek out the wise members of gradcafe... your responses have been just what I needed to think about all of this thoroughly.

But you'll want to ask how long it takes most grad students to finish the program, how many students they expect you to teach per class, and where PhDs get placed.

...Especially how many students they expect per class. It actually hadn't occurred to me to ask that. Good call, lifealive.

Edited by snappysorbet

The complete idiocy of lifealive’s comment made me create a profile just so I could comment on the sheer stupidity of such reasoning.

If you can’t balance graduate level research with a 2-2 load then you have no business going into this profession. Get out now. Because guess what—when (and if) you get a tenure-track position, what are you going to do when you have the probable 3-3 load (if not a 4-4 which is much more common at smaller public universities these days), plus committee work, plus your research? Whining about a 1-2 (hell, even a 2-2) load? You live in an alternate academic universe. Haven’t your undergrad professors slapped you silly yet with the realities of the job market?

Let me introduce you to the reality of the academic work that awaits most of you, because about 2% (if even that) are going to get a position at an R1 and have the nice cushion of a 1-1 or 1-2 load. I currently teach at a community college and have a 6-6-4 load (yeah, that’s right, four in the summer), not to mention I’m sitting on 4 different committees. Four of those courses are composition. My friends at other schools who were in my M.A. program have roughly the same teaching load. I’ve been doing this for four years. In that same time I’ve managed to compile a decent, but not spectacular research resume: presentations at six national conferences, several literary publications, and a completed creative manuscript (which probably should have been done two years ago…I digress). I also have three kids under the age of five. The other junior faculty colleagues in my department have much more impressive resumes for the similar time frame and similar circumstances.

I’m sure the naysayer critics will read that previous paragraph and think I’m an egotistical prick that just wants a pat on the back. Screw that. Yeah, I want someone to give me a 3-3 load. But that isn’t reality. Based on the previous posts, lifealive must have no clue about the reality of the job market, or simply enjoys the prestige of an elite university. Sad, really.

Can’t handle a 2-2 load? “A little concerned about a 2-2 load.” You’re doomed.

Snappysorbet: Teaching is good for you. It forces you to budget your time. It forces you to focus. It is the reality of our profession (except for the delusional few). If you ask me, any Ph.D. program that doesn’t have you teach substantially is doing you a complete disservice for the job market. I say teach as much as you can. For most of you, your only chance at getting a full-time job comes with a heavy teaching load. When push comes to shove, outside of an R1 nobody on a search committee really cares about your research focus—they want to know if you’re willing to do the grunt work because 400+ other applicants are willing to do it. Teaching, not research, is how you distinguish yourself. For all practical purposes, the rest of your academic life is going to depend mostly on your ability to teach and your willingness to teach classes others don't want to touch…unless you think you’re so special that you’re going to get that elusive R1.

I can understand being hesitant toward teaching a 2-2 load for the first time, snappysorbet, especially if you’ve never taught before. But you have to get over that anxiety quick. Adapt, or find a nice 9-5 you can tolerate. After the first semester of a 2-2, it's a relative cake walk.

For those entering the humanities: quit living in a fantasy world where someone is going to pay you sit in your office while you “think.” Those days are at an end. Get used to teaching—if not, you will crack within your first two years on the job (I’ve seen it happen where I’m currently at, multiple times). The sooner you learn how to get more work done on less time, the easier your future academic life will be.

For those entering the humanities: quit living in a fantasy world where someone is going to pay you sit in your office while you “think.” Those days are at an end. Get used to teaching—if not, you will crack within your first two years on the job (I’ve seen it happen where I’m currently at, multiple times). The sooner you learn how to get more work done on less time, the easier your future academic life will be.

Talk about seeing someone crack...

On the whole, people on these boards are well aware of the current academic environment and what lies ahead. At least more so than the general public and the idealistic undergraduates I teach. The thing is, and bear with me here, you are already a professor and we are talking about the period of study leading up to our respective entries into our respective fields. GradCafe. I hear what you're saying, but making the argument that graduate students should be taking on 2-2 teaching loads or more is ridiculous. Time to completion rates are already horrendous at most schools and there is something to be said for quality as opposed to quantity, especially in the early stages of one's career development when habits and methods that last a lifetime are crystallizing. I take issue with any argument that says the best way to prepare for having to teach many courses in the future is to begin teaching many courses from the moment you take up graduate studies. Any person who may eventually have to teach a 6-6-4 load like yourself will, I think, be well served by (1) spending the time necessary to become an expert in their chosen field and (2) learning to teach well before they learn to teach a lot. They would also do well to not spend 10+ years in graduate school accumulating debt because their programs suddenly decided to assign them 4-4 loads on the advice of a self-proclaimed crank. Frankly, you sound like you hate what you do and, if that's palpable even on a message board, maybe you should take your own advice and find a 9-5.

Perhaps if Mr. Crankypants had read my posts closely enough (maybe he's got too much grading to do to read things carefully, and in that case he has my sympathy), he'd have noticed that I was speaking from personal experience. I taught a 2-2-2 load myself during my MA (yes, on quarters). And, moreover, I've never had any time off from teaching throughout my entire graduate career. I definitely do not attend one of the Ivies, which shield their students from excessive teaching, and whose students (perhaps not so coincidentally?) land the best jobs regardless of quantity of teaching experience.

Less teaching isn't just some ivory tower dream. It has real, practial, material consequences for your graduate career. It means navigating your graduate career more quickly. It means having more time to write your dissertation so you can get out into the world, stop eating ramen and taking out loans, and start that glorious 4-4 load. Even teaching-oriented colleges want to see evidence of research and professional development, and most liberal arts colleges want their hires to be not only good at teaching but top researchers in the field. I think it's irresponsible to suggest that teaching a lot is the path to success.

Additionally, when a program makes it its policy to offer more money for less teaching, it attracts better graduate students and competes with better programs for those students. This reason, perhaps most obviously, is why you should steer clear of programs that expect so much teaching for so little in return. I turned down a program with a 1-2 teaching load for one that was 1-1. Expect that other people are going to do the same.

I'm very active in labor issues for TAs, and that's why I would urge a future grad school student to go into a labor contract with his or her eyes open. You need to compare offers from other schools and see how the workload/pay compares to other schools of a similar rank and location. For instance: If the school 150 miles away pays its graduate students 5k more a year and guarantees a fellowship year, then why is your prospective school asking you to teach so much for less money? What's going on there? And if you have leverage (i.e. better offers from other schools) then use it. There are plenty of threads here that give advice about negotiating your offer.

The question shouldn't be "How much CAN you teach?" I'm sure that any of us, if called to, could produce an unbelievable amount of labor. The issue is about discerning the attitude the graduate program takes toward its students. Teaching load says volumes about a graduate program's values. Does the program want its students to be successful at both research and teaching, or does it need to employ TAs to staff an endless supply of English 101 classes? Does the program/university/state value TA labor, or does it have an attitude of entitlement? (You're just so lucky to be getting your tuition for free that you should be thrilled to double up the load.)

Also, I'm so glad that Mr. Crankypants brought up the various constraints of the job market. Of course no school will hire someone without teaching experience--not even the biggest R1s. But here's where quality is much more important than quantity. That's why it's important to inquire about the variety of classes you'll be able to teach. Everyone starts off with some form of an introduction to English or composition. But what about everything after that? Does the program let you teach upper-level English classes that pertain to your interests? Will they allow you to design your own classes, or do you have to work from some pre-ordained curriculum? Do you have to wait until you've advanced to candidacy to teach anything other than introductory classes? Will you have opportunities to work at the writing center (a valuable thing for rhet/comp people)? Will you be able to swap out your teaching assignment for other useful assistantships, like helping to run the writing program or working as a research/editorial assistant? It's been my experience that the job market likes people who have a variety of skills--not just those who can teach a succession of identitical composition classes.

Additionally, I'd like to turn this argument around. Perhaps Mr. Crankypants feels that the wealth of teaching experience is sure to land him a better teaching job at the end of the cc tunnel (and I'm assuming that the job is not going well). As for me? Well, I'm not so sure--especially since the days of hiring people based solely on their teaching experience have passed. I know that in order to be competitive on the job market, I'm going to have to prove that I'm capable of many different things. I've got the teaching down; I'm also going to have to publish, present, work as an editor of a journal, and get some travel grants. After all, most of the people I'm competing with go to better schools AND have teaching experience. I'm going to have to distinguish myself in some other way. I wish the simple answer was just "teach more." But the job market is more complicated than that.

And that's my final point: It's all about GETTING to the job market. My friends who got a teaching-free year? They get there a little faster. Or they get more time to work on their dissertations (I have to speed through mine). And most interviewers have asked them what and how they teach--not how much.

Edited by lifealive

I think it's important to keep in mind that graduate teaching spots vary widely in terms of workload and compensation. For example, a 1-1 for a composition class capped at 26 students might require substantially more effort than a 2-2 teaching literature recitations as a a true TA under a tenure-line professor. In a similar vein, a 20K stipend with health benefits for teaching on a 2-2 schedule at a rural university with a lower cost of living might be a better offer than a 14K stipend without benefits to teach on a 1-1 or 1-2 schedule in a city with a high cost of living.

Simply put, assuming other variables are equal, your goal should be the most money for the least amount of labor. At the same time, it's a mistake to assume that calculation can be performed with a simple 1-1/ 1-2/ 2-2 comparison.

Hear hear, lifealive, I completely agree.

For the OP: I've taught on a 1-1-1 load (including my first year as an MA), and I will be leaning more strongly towards the schools that don't ask me to teach more than one section at a time (or, like stillthisappeal says, under another optimal load) when I make my decision on a PhD program. Even though pedagogy falls under my own research interests.

I think that in the first year, even two years, of graduate school it is incredibly important to have as much breathing room as possible. You're learning how to navigate the academy, research, the classroom, theory...really, you're learning a new way of thinking and speaking. Sure, as evidenced by this topic thread, plenty of grad students out there teach two (or more??) sections at a time, and if you go on to land a faculty position you'll teach even more than that. But my own personal, humble opinion is that a one-course load is important for this formative point in your career, if you are lucky enough to land one.