It's alright to e-mail about why you were rejected...

I would like to find out why I got into my university of choice. I am interested because I'm fairly certain that a specific professor (with whom I've never corresponded) is responsible for my acceptance and I think it might be nice to send her a thank you and maybe strike up a conversation? Is this a strange thing to ask them and will it be more bothersome to them then helpful? Would they even give out information like this?

I actually have been asking this - once after being admitted with a fellowship but to a professor other than I would have matched myself with, and once at an interview. I think that it is a perfectly legitimate question and can be very informative. I don't know that they will tell you about who fought for you on the adcomm (it seems a little like privileged information to me), but they will probably tell you what characteristics made you stand out from the crowd as an applicant.

I don't think it is rude or awkward to ask this question, and I know of some PhD programs that encourage rejected applicants to ask the committee why they got rejected and what areas they could improve on. Reapplying to programs you got rejected shows that you have determination.

so how exactly would you ask such a question without sounding pompous or too proud? I don't know how to ask without feeling like I'm bragging...

Just be honest and straight up saying you wanted to know why you were rejected. Honestly, I don't even see how a rejected applicant would even feel proud or pompous considering they got rejected.

Just be honest and straight up saying you wanted to know why you were rejected. Honestly, I don't even see how a rejected applicant would even feel proud or pompous considering they got rejected.

chaospaladin - you seem to have missed the main idea of this thread - its not about asking why you were rejected but about why you were accepted. It is buried in the title but the first post and the post you responded to clearly explain the situation.

Silent_Bobina, I think asking "Why me?" is innately humble. Assuming you know why you are awesome is more pompous to my mind. It is not bragging to honestly inquire why they think you are cool - many, many of the applicants to top programs are intimidatingly awesome. I have simply phrased it "Why me?" I think it is straightforward and direct. I didn't get responses about how I am clearly the coolest person ever and will be an awesome sauce leader of my field in the future. I got responses that highlighted why I am a bit different from other applicants and how my bringing that perspective to their lab would be interesting to them. These are things that are a product of my educational choices, not some superior skill that I can brag about. Anyway, hope that helps.

Silent_Bobina, I think asking "Why me?" is innately humble. Assuming you know why you are awesome is more pompous to my mind. It is not bragging to honestly inquire why they think you are cool - many, many of the applicants to top programs are intimidatingly awesome. I have simply phrased it "Why me?" I think it is straightforward and direct. I didn't get responses about how I am clearly the coolest person ever and will be an awesome sauce leader of my field in the future. I got responses that highlighted why I am a bit different from other applicants and how my bringing that perspective to their lab would be interesting to them. These are things that are a product of my educational choices, not some superior skill that I can brag about. Anyway, hope that helps.

That does help put it into perspective for me thank you! I guess that I am asking what makes me different and that will help greatly!

I've never done this, but I think it's probably important to also emphasize that you are confident in your abilities and intellect. I don't think you want to signal that you're unsure or worried that you're not up to the task.

I've never done this, but I think it's probably important to also emphasize that you are confident in your abilities and intellect. I don't think you want to signal that you're unsure or worried that you're not up to the task.

True the balance is important and that's really what intimidates me most about writing an e-mail like this.

So this is the e-mail I am considering sending, is it balanced?

Dear adcomm rep,

Thank you so much for granting me admission to your program. I am both excited and pleased by this opportunity. While I know that I have worked hard to strengthen both my credentials and my application materials, I was curious as to why I was chosen for admittance.

Thank you again,

xxxxxxxx

So this is the e-mail I am considering sending, is it balanced?

Dear adcomm rep,

Thank you so much for granting me admission to your program. I am both excited and pleased by this opportunity. While I know that I have worked hard to strengthen both my credentials and my application materials, I was curious as to why I was chosen for admittance.

Thank you again,

xxxxxxxx

I actually like the idea, although I might change it around a little to say something like this:

Dear adcomm rep,

Thank you so much for granting me admission to your program. I'm excited and pleased by this opportunity. As I evaluate my options, I'd also love to find out more about how I was selected for the program, what factors were most important to the selection committee.

I think this changes the emphasis just a little. It's neither over-confident nor humble, but it does stress the idea that all these things factor into your decisions, and that it's a decision-point just as much for you as it is/was for them. And if you're being considered for any kind of funding, it also emphasizes both your interest and your concern with being matched with the right program.

And I also think they'll most likely be happy to answer.

(I'm reminded of Groucho Marx, though: "I'd never join a club that would have me as a member...")

OP, if you are going to attend this program, I recommend trying to get the info once you're there. I do think the question might sound a bit strange, and you have a much better chance of uncovering info like this once you're socially integrated and people trust you with gossip more generally. There is even a chance senior students might know and you'll never have to ask the profs for it. Good luck.