Ohio University PhD Creative Writing

tinapickles

Did anyone else apply to this program and if so, do you have any information? I received a letter informing me that I am wait listed (and high-ish on the wait list... I think?). Anyone already attending and have any info about the program in general they'd like to share?

Thanks guys!

Did anyone else apply to this program and if so, do you have any information? I received a letter informing me that I am wait listed (and high-ish on the wait list... I think?). Anyone already attending and have any info about the program in general they'd like to share?

Thanks guys!

I applied to the program as well, but for rhet/comp. I emailed this morning (and then was embarrassed to find my letter in my mailbox four hours later) and got the same news, that I was waitlisted:

The Graduate Admissions Committee of the Ohio University English Department has been extremely impressed with your application materials. We cannot make you an offer of admission yet: the small size of our program constrains us at this stage from immediately making offers to all whom we would like to admit. You are, however, high on our waiting list, and there is a good likelihood that we will be able to make you an offer in the coming weeks, one including a stipend.

The DGS told me they only make offers to candidates they can fully fund.

My letter said something similar:

The Graduate Admission Committee... has reviewed your application matierials and found that you are qualified both for admissions to out graduate program and for stipend funding. We cannot make you an offer of admission yet: the small size of our program constrains us at this stage from making offers to all who qualify.

I contacted the Graduate Director and he informed me that I'm "roughly fourth" on the waitlist... I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Creative writing wise, I think that only one or two people per year are accepted. It seems to be a really small program.

Edited by TC3

Creative writing wise, I think that only one or two people per year are accepted. It seems to be a really small program.

It is definitely a really small program. I think you're right; I vaguely recall reading that cohort sizes were 6-8 students, which I think meant across all subfields.

I applied there too for that program but haven't heard anything. *shrug* I am already more seriously considering other offers so I'm not too shook up about it. I wonder, though, about the wisdom of late application dates or about taking a long time to contact folks. By this point, some people have already made decisions about where to attend and whatnot.

I applied there too for that program but haven't heard anything. *shrug* I am already more seriously considering other offers so I'm not too shook up about it. I wonder, though, about the wisdom of late application dates or about taking a long time to contact folks. By this point, some people have already made decisions about where to attend and whatnot.

My letter was dated the 9th or 10th, and just arrived on Monday...possible yours is still on the way? *shrug*

You're right that people are beginning to make decisions. I think they're letting people high on the waitlist know, to try to keep them in the running.

I want to let folks here know that I just declined my offer to Ohio U. I'm Rhet/Comp PhD, not Creative Writing, but hopefully this has opened up a spot for somebody on the waitlist. Good luck, everybody!

• 11 months later...

DeWinter, I applied for a different sub-topic, but finally emailed the director in sheer panic. She kindly replied back with an email that I am considering a rejection. She said they have begun making offers to their top picks across all genres.

I'm sorry, lekbo806. They're such a tiny program from what I've heard that only 2 slots per genre are open in the Phd field. I'm sure you were a great candidate but due to the tiny size, they can't admit all the good ones.

Do you think I should write to the Director as well? I haven't heard anything yet and I hate not hearing anything. I called and was told that the first picks are going out, the waitlisted will hear later and I'm guessing the rejections will be notified throughout the month. It's a tiny program. I'm sure a lot of people (gulp) will unfortunately be rejected. That's nerve-wracking. :(

Edited by DeWinter

Yesterday. I heard back late last night. It was actually a positive and kind email... I just have no idea what it meant! It sounded like a rejection to me, but my husband said it sounded like a wait list. I'm going to assume no, and wait for official correspondence. Email her... At least you'll have a ( bit more clear) answer. Sigh. I loved the program! Good luck to you, let me know what she says!

Oh, that's very kind of the director. How did she word it exactly? Was it ambiguous? I'm writing to her, as we speak.

ETA: I just sent it. My heart is pounding. Breathe, DeWinter, Breathe. *Failed*

Edited by DeWinter

Ambiguous enough that I interpret it differently every time I read it ( which is approximately a million and one times)! I'm just assuming rejection because its easier. I replied and let her know how interested I am in the program so hopefully that gets me some brownie points. If nothing else, perhaps I can ask advice about how to improve my application for the next go round. Keep breathing and let me know what you hear!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, all. I also applied to the PhD program in creative writing. I still haven't received any word, and the anxiety is beginning to outweigh patience. Who would you suggest emailing about it, or is there anywhere else I can check online? Thanks.