Georgia Tech!

closetgeek

Anybody else going to (or considering) going to Tech next year? I'm going for robotics (PhD)! They're actually my school's rival, but I couldn't let my pride keep me from accepting a great program (academic program, that is..sports, not so much :P). Hehe, I kid. Anyways, I'm pretty familiar(ish..I get lost without my GPS, but that's anywhere) with the Atlanta area if anyone has any questions about it!

Anybody else going to (or considering) going to Tech next year? I'm going for robotics (PhD)! They're actually my school's rival, but I couldn't let my pride keep me from accepting a great program (academic program, that is..sports, not so much :P). Hehe, I kid. Anyways, I'm pretty familiar(ish..I get lost without my GPS, but that's anywhere) with the Atlanta area if anyone has any questions about it!

Hi thr..!!!..At last, thr is someone who is considering the same option...:P..I have been on the lookout for info regarding this for quite sometime now..:D..I have also been admitted to the PhD Robotics program..in Gatech..am considering it seriously...but haven't finalized yet..being an international, I dont have much idea about the place in general..and, I think, u can help me with that...also, though i have pretty much a good idea about the research activities that I might get involved in...but don't have much info on the Robotics program in general..I guess its new (2007..?) and hence, any pointers regarding these would be very helpful..can't trust the website alone...:P..Thanks in advance..:)

Edited by Gilmour

Hi thr..!!!..At last, thr is someone who is considering the same option...:P..I have been on the lookout for info regarding this for quite sometime now..:D..I have also been admitted to the PhD Robotics program..in Gatech..am considering it seriously...but haven't finalized yet..being an international, I dont have much idea about the place in general..and, I think, u can help me with that...also, though i have pretty much a good idea about the research activities that I might get involved in...but don't have much info on the Robotics program in general..I guess its new (2007..?) and hence, any pointers regarding these would be very helpful..can't trust the website alone...:P..Thanks in advance..:)

Hi Gilmour! Congrats on getting accepted! Next time you have a question, you should post it! That's what grad cafe is for :). But I guess this post counts :P

So about the place in general...I really like the campus. It has a mixture between older buildings and really nice and modern buildings. Tech's located in midtown Atlanta, and the research buildings for robotics and the college of computing are within walking distance to a nice strip of food places, coffee shops, etc. The area seems really hip and cool for students :). Theres also a lot of nice areas -- just in midtown. Atlanta in itself has a lot of cool other sites. But midtown has Piedmont park, which is really nice. A lot of festivals and concerts take place there. Its beautiful. There's also plenty of places to shop. Atlantic station has a lot of nice stores, and its cool because you can live right in atlantic station. Theres also a museum (never been to it), the World of Coke, and a nice aquarium (touristy stuff). Of course there are also bars spattered about. So as far as the social aspect goes, this is definitely a good place to be! Also, Tech's located in the south, so everyone here is super friendly and its not hard to meet new people!

Academically.. Tech definitely seems to be a good place to go for robotics. I know a lot of times when I'm reading an article or watching a show that is talking about robotics, something Tech's working on is going to be mentioned! One good thing about getting a PhD in Robotics, as opposed to a PhD in CS with an emphasis in robotics, is that you won't have to take courses in the core CS areas, such as architecture or operating systems, unless you want to! You pretty much go right into robotics stuff. When I visited, they told us that they start us doing research right away in our first year there. They also seemed incredibly open to collaborating with people other than your advisor, even those outside of the department. In fact, everyone is required to have a minor that will help supplement their research. That definitely seemed cool. Everyone there seemed really friendly. I'm not sure if it was just because it was the recruitment weekend or if that's how they were :). And they were nice to me, even when I openly admitted my pride in their rival school! :P

Hi Gilmour! Congrats on getting accepted! Next time you have a question, you should post it! That's what grad cafe is for :). But I guess this post counts :P

So about the place in general...I really like the campus. It has a mixture between older buildings and really nice and modern buildings. Tech's located in midtown Atlanta, and the research buildings for robotics and the college of computing are within walking distance to a nice strip of food places, coffee shops, etc. The area seems really hip and cool for students :). Theres also a lot of nice areas -- just in midtown. Atlanta in itself has a lot of cool other sites. But midtown has Piedmont park, which is really nice. A lot of festivals and concerts take place there. Its beautiful. There's also plenty of places to shop. Atlantic station has a lot of nice stores, and its cool because you can live right in atlantic station. Theres also a museum (never been to it), the World of Coke, and a nice aquarium (touristy stuff). Of course there are also bars spattered about. So as far as the social aspect goes, this is definitely a good place to be! Also, Tech's located in the south, so everyone here is super friendly and its not hard to meet new people!

Academically.. Tech definitely seems to be a good place to go for robotics. I know a lot of times when I'm reading an article or watching a show that is talking about robotics, something Tech's working on is going to be mentioned! One good thing about getting a PhD in Robotics, as opposed to a PhD in CS with an emphasis in robotics, is that you won't have to take courses in the core CS areas, such as architecture or operating systems, unless you want to! You pretty much go right into robotics stuff. When I visited, they told us that they start us doing research right away in our first year there. They also seemed incredibly open to collaborating with people other than your advisor, even those outside of the department. In fact, everyone is required to have a minor that will help supplement their research. That definitely seemed cool. Everyone there seemed really friendly. I'm not sure if it was just because it was the recruitment weekend or if that's how they were :). And they were nice to me, even when I openly admitted my pride in their rival school! :P

Well...now I am sure that this post counted..and in fact to a great deal..:P...thanks for such an elaborate reply..it definitely helps..Atlanta seems to be a nice place to live...however, i heard that you need to own a car to really enjoy it...academically, i guess, I cant go wrong with choosing Gatech..the robotics program seems nice..the seminar series, especially, is so cool with all big names coming there to present their work from other universities..could be great for sharing research activities and networking stuff...and also with the flexible course structure...I am highly inclined towards it...lets see..:)...good luck to u too..:)..

Edited by Gilmour

Well...now I am sure that this post counted..and in fact to a great deal..:P...thanks for such an elaborate reply..it definitely helps..Atlanta seems to be a nice place to live...however, i heard that you need to own a car to really enjoy it...academically, i guess, I cant go wrong with choosing Gatech..the robotics program seems nice..the seminar series, especially, is so cool with all big names coming there to present their work from other universities..could be great for sharing research activities and networking stuff...and also with the flexible course structure...I am highly inclined towards it...lets see..:)...good luck to u too..:)..

hehe, no prob! yea, I think it would be hard to happily live in atlanta without a car. They do have zipcars there, though. There's also the MARTA transit system, but I've never used it. I would recommend avoiding it, though. And yes, I agree. I think the program is going to be great. I'm pretty excited!

BTW, theres a slowly forming facebook group for graduate students entering in the fall:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_168229566553999

There's also one for 2010. In case anyone has questions, they may have already been asked on here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105290002845646&v=wall

hehe, no prob! yea, I think it would be hard to happily live in atlanta without a car. They do have zipcars there, though. There's also the MARTA transit system, but I've never used it. I would recommend avoiding it, though. And yes, I agree. I think the program is going to be great. I'm pretty excited!

BTW, theres a slowly forming facebook group for graduate students entering in the fall:

http://www.facebook....168229566553999

There's also one for 2010. In case anyone has questions, they may have already been asked on here:

http://www.facebook....02845646&v=wall

hey..thanks again for the links..would be helpful for sure..:)..and yeah..i heard similar reservations against MARTA in some of the other threads in gradcafe too...

Edited by Gilmour

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello ppl!

How come I don't see anyone here!

Are only 2-3 ppl joinin Tech.

Was having the same doubt..:unsure:

Good to see two new posters..so, when do u plan to reach Atlanta?

Did u guys fix anything regarding the housing?

Edited by Gilmour

Was having the same doubt..:unsure:

Good to see two new posters..so, when do u plan to reach Atlanta?

Did u guys fix anything regarding the housing?

Hey Gilmour.

My 2-3 ppl qn was a rhetorical one. ;)

Of course many are gng to GT. Just join the Facebook group. You'll find a lot many ppl over there (175+)

The thing is tat no one is marking their presence on Grad Cafe.

Come on...... Come out of your hiding spots. Its ok. Meet the garden gnome :rolleyes: and the happy gilmour, guided by geek in a closet and others :)

Plan to reach Atlanta in last week of july/first week of august

Currently lookin for apartment and roommates

Edited by Gnome

LOL..:D..guess facebook becomes lot more popular than gradcafe after bagging admits...:P

Hey Gilmour.

My 2-3 ppl qn was a rhetorical one. ;)

Of course many are gng to GT. Just join the Facebook group. You'll find a lot many ppl over there (175+)

The thing is tat no one is marking their presence on Grad Cafe.

Come on...... Come out of your hiding spots. Its ok. Meet the garden gnome :rolleyes: and the happy gilmour, guided by geek in a closet and others :)

Plan to reach Atlanta in last week of july/first week of august

Currently lookin for apartment and roommates

Edited by Gilmour

• 4 weeks later...

hey all

just decided to go to the GAtech ISyE program in the fall. see you all in atlanta

Hey I'm going for the OR Phd. Anyone figured out housing yet?

• 1 year later...

I love Tech! Which I never thought I'd say since it is my undergrad school's rival  :rolleyes:. There are a lot of good opportunities here. Pretty much every other week there's a company recruiting students in the lobby of the College of Computing building (including Facebook, Microsoft, etc). There are also a lot of professors doing pretty cool research. I actually switched from robotics to computer science, but only because I'm more interested in learning about the intelligent aspect of robots instead of the hardware side. 

Thank you for your reply. Wow thats nice. My undergrad major is electronic engineering so I am definitely more comfy with the hardware side of things. So is the robotics program more hardware oriented? To be honest, I did not like the fact that most schools in the US deal with robotics primarily through computing and CS (I mean theoretical aspects like OS, kernals etc etc, programming I am quite happy with) is well out of my comfort zone. I thought so from the reading the course descriptions but I dont really know more than the website tells me. Anyways, thanks for your input. I have made up my mind to join Georgia Tech in the fall.

I'm going to GaTech for the PhD in Public Policy. Trying to figure out housing possibilities. I posted on the facebook page like espresso shot mentioned, but thought I'd post here as well. 

Here's the ad I just posted on craigslist if you want to know more http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/sha/3707528044.html

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am not sure if it is worth reopening this post, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I am planning on applying to the GATech robotics program, and was hoping some of you guys can give me a good perspective since you have been there for sometime.

@closetgeekWhat you have said here worries me a bit. I have a BS in "systems engineering" which is basically EE (signals & systems) - circuits + AI. So I am much more into the computing and intelligent aspects than hardware. As a middle ground, I am happy with control systems. As typical with a large fraction of robotics aspirants, I don't have much of a background in CS. Would you advise GATech for me? I'm not very confident of a CS admit, but don't want to be stuck with hardware in robotics. Please help.

For a more detailed undergrad background, kindly see this post: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/68622-possible-to-shift-from-general-engineering-to-aics-or-robotics-phd/