Geology

Guest Ms. Geology

Guest Ms. Geology

I just thought we should have a place for anyone in geology to make any kind of random geology related post they needed. Here we go.MountHiller_typelocalityforlacoliths.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fellow geologist!

Where all did you apply and what's your status?

I'm currently a MS student at UNC - CH and applied to Wisconsin, Syracuse, Kansas, Montana, and Minnesota.

Accepted: Wisconsin, Kansas, Montana

Rejected: Minnesota

Not sure what they are doing but don't care: Syracuse

I've signed on for my PhD in the geochemistry group at Wisconsin, I'll be working on oxygen isotopes in zircon of metamorphic rocks (UHP/HP) to understand exhumation mechanisms of these rocks.

Guest Ms. Geology

I applied to six schools in all. I have heard back from four, only one of them was bad news. I am still waiting on the University of Texas and Penn State. I am going crazy waiting on these last two. I do not know where I want to go yet, though one is slightly in the lead. I will be flying out to visit two of the schools I have been accepted to beginning this week. Where I go depends on the visits at this point; what will be the best fit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ms. Geology

No decisions yet, I have one more visit this week, and then I must decide. Nope, no news from Penn State yet, so sad, I REALLY liked the program and the people (well from what I could tell through email contact and internet info). What schools are you debating over at this point?

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello friends!

excuse me, can you advise me useful books for those who begins studying geology and its environmental questions? I had found some books in the free scientific library - for example that

http://reslib.com/bo...hanging_Earth#1

but i am interested in your advice.

Thank you!

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#earth-atmospheric-and-planetary-sciences

That website is pretty awesome and gives you more classroom type knowledge with exams to test yourself.

Rea

• 3 years later...

First of all Gneiss1, I love your username.  :-) Geology puns are the best.  

A little bit of a different path for me, I graduated from a Marine and Atmospheric MS (focus on Geo Oceanography).  So I am not your typical Geologist.  I have worked mostly in the field of hydrogeology and my master's thesis was on Permeable Reactive Barriers.  Trying to sneak my way into a PhD program down in Florida for Geological Oceanography and work on Snowball Earth events. 

Anyone ever have a situation with a (non-academic) person who doesn't listen to what you have to say, even though it is your field?  I had a neighbor try and tell me what was wrong with the yard (he assumed sprinklers were problem...) I told him the soil wasn't very permeable, he waved me off as a stupid girl who doesn't know what she is talking about...fast forward a week, low and behold, soil problem.  Just listen to the geologist the first time.  Lol.