Memphis, TN

erjensen

Hi, All. I'm seriously considering the University of Memphis for my Ph.D. program, but I've heard so much hype about how the entire city is unsafe, blah blah. I'm wanting to get honest opinions or experiences regarding safety. Are there specific areas that are exceptionally safe? I'd appreciate any feedback! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 1:35 PM, Sdeeg said:

Hi, All. I'm seriously considering the University of Memphis for my Ph.D. program, but I've heard so much hype about how the entire city is unsafe, blah blah. I'm wanting to get honest opinions or experiences regarding safety. Are there specific areas that are exceptionally safe? I'd appreciate any feedback! 

The Germantown area (just outside of Memphis) is VERY safe. It is actually one of the wealthiest zip codes in the entire state. I'd say it is a 15-20 minute drive to the university. The midtown area is also relatively safe. Overall, with Memphis it depends on the street you are on. Very quickly it goes from safe to sketchy just by crossing over a street. I've driven through areas daily that I feel unsafe in in order to get from one area to the next. 

• 10 months later...

Hey! I was raised in Memphis, are you looking to live near campus or do you mind being a few minutes out?

On 2/18/2019 at 6:03 PM, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Thanks to everyone who has posted about the aren! I’m wondering if there are any specific apartment complexes I should look at. I’m hoping to go to University of Memphis for the school psychology program. ?

21 hours ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Hi! I’m honestly pretty open to both! I feel like I don’t want to live no more than 20 minutes from campus.

Kimbrough Towers in midtown/downtown is really nice. My best friend lived there for a while, it's less than 15 mins out

The Edison downtown is nice too, I lived there!

2 hours ago, LisKis said:

Kimbrough Towers in midtown/downtown is really nice. My best friend lived there for a while, it's less than 15 mins out

The Edison downtown is nice too, I lived there!

Thank you so much!!!! I’ve looked into them and they’re pretty affordable actually. You’re amazing!

10 hours ago, wannabeschoolpsych said:

Thank you so much!!!! I’ve looked into them and they’re pretty affordable actually. You’re amazing!

No problem! Hope it works out!!!

• 1 month later...

What can people tell me about transportation in Memphis? If I don't have a car, will I be able to get around places in the city? (If it makes a difference, I'd be going to the University of Memphis and living somewhere in East Memphis.)

2 hours ago, samiamslp said:

What can people tell me about transportation in Memphis? If I don't have a car, will I be able to get around places in the city? (If it makes a difference, I'd be going to the University of Memphis and living somewhere in East Memphis.)

It would be difficult to get around Memphis without a car. Wouldn't rely on our public transportation (MATA) - its horrible. Strongly recommend having your own car/personal transportation.