University of Connecticut

Sleepy

Hello All

I'm about 80% certain I'll be going to UConn in the fall.

I got in to the PhD in Statistics program, which is supposed to be a pretty decent program. I'm just a bit concerned about how rural the campus is.

I will probably live in Willimantic if I accept the offer.

I dunno if its the best place for grads, though. What do you think?

Where do you plan on living?

I grew up in Connecticut, spent a summer at UCONN and had a lot of friends that went to school there. Willimantic is kind of a shoddy town. If you're looking to stay away from living in Storrs because you want a more interesting town I'd say consider Manchester which is about 20 to 25 minutes from Storrs and about 15 minutes from downtown Hartford. However, I'm sure there are more grad students in Willimantic (maybe none in Manchester?). I guess just make sure Willimantic is the right place for you, if you do decide to live there.

If you don't care about nightlife, why not just live in Storrs? Off campus is quiet and dirt cheap.

Edited by stopcallinmesqrlboy

• 4 weeks later...

I'm starting my graduate studies at UCONN this fall. I am looking at a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment in Manchester near the Buckland Hills area. If interested, please PM me! Looking for a female roommate who is neat, clean, organized, etc. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey! I gave this advice before! Perhaps, this might come in handy: if you don't want to stay on campus (which, btw, i think is a good call), you can book a hotel room for a day or two (or as much as you consider necessary), and check out the area. See what your choices are. If you need a tip on where to find decently-priced hotels near Storrs, I recommend this site - http://uconn.citires.ro/. I've taken a look at it and it's seems ok to me. But, it's up to you what you want to do. Anyway, hope my advice helps. Good luck!