NYC vs. Chicago

lil kiwi

I'm currently trying to choose between two well known universities.

I will be staying in graduate accommodation at least for the first year, as trying to organise housing from the other side of the world is somewhat difficult.

School A in Chicago is slightly better reputation/prestige-wise and I understand the programme to be a little better too. School B in NYC is also a good school.

In terms of research interests, both schools are strong in my field and are a good fit for me. Both options are funded and after taking away rent (which includes gas, electricity, water, phone etc.), I'll have about $300 a week in both cities.

Can anyone offer me any insight as to how livable this amount of money is? Also, any general comments about differences or advantages of either city would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Well, obviously it depends on what your style of living is. I can tell you that I live in New York right now on probably about $300/wk including rent and I'm doing fine.

New York is a little more expensive than Chicago, but not enough to make a huge difference. Personally, I think there's a lot more to do in New York, a higher concentration of interesting people, events, and activities. There's more culture here and honestly, it's really like nowhere else on earth. But I'm obviously biased. :) I've got friends who love Chicago. And I'm sure someone here will speak up soon to smack me down say just how great Chicago is, haha.

It depends on what you're studying and the opportunities around you. If the program in Chicago is better, maybe that's the best choice.

But there's really nothing like living in New York.

I don't really see the point in all the hush hushness since the answer is very specific to the school.

If you're talking about U of Chicago, the location is terrible. there is only bus access (the nearest train stop is a mile away) and the neighborhood has unsafe areas.

If this is Northwestern, it is very public transportation accessible and Evanston has a cool vibe to it, plus you can live in Chicago and commute and have the best of both worlds.

If you are talking about DePaul, it is a great neighborhood.

If you are talking about Loyola, the location is ok, but it is best if you live somewhere a bit farther from the school.

If you are talking about UIC, I am not a big expert on the area, but I heard it is looking a lot better in the past few years, rather hip and happening.

There are only 3 decent grad programs in NYC that I am aware of: NYU, Columbia, and CUNY Graduate center, all in Manhattan, and everyone knows how great Manhattan is, so no explanation needed there.

I don't really see the point in all the hush hushness since the answer is very specific to the school.

If you're talking about U of Chicago, the location is terrible. there is only bus access (the nearest train stop is a mile away) and the neighborhood has unsafe areas.

If this is Northwestern, it is very public transportation accessible and Evanston has a cool vibe to it, plus you can live in Chicago and commute and have the best of both worlds.

If you are talking about DePaul, it is a great neighborhood.

If you are talking about Loyola, the location is ok, but it is best if you live somewhere a bit farther from the school.

If you are talking about UIC, I am not a big expert on the area, but I heard it is looking a lot better in the past few years, rather hip and happening.

There are only 3 decent grad programs in NYC that I am aware of: NYU, Columbia, and CUNY Graduate center, all in Manhattan, and everyone knows how great Manhattan is, so no explanation needed there.

Thanks for covering all of your bases in the answer.

I'm not from the states, so any chance you could elaborate on why Manhattan is great?

I'm not from the states, so any chance you could elaborate on why Manhattan is great?

Short answer: it has everything.

No matter what you are in the mood for, you will be able to find something to do, and it will be easy to get to.

It feels like living in the center of the universe. The news, fine arts, and business worlds of the US are completely focused on the area. And as others have said, it has literally everything. Any kind of culture or country, there are other people from there. Any kind of hobby or activity, you can find other people who are interested in doing it. Any kind of food, you can not only find it, but you can also get it delivered at 3am.

Of course rent is expensive (though not that much more so than Chicago) but even if you decide to live in Brooklyn or Queens, the subway runs all night.

Edited by skamp

University of Chicago's neighborhood isn't bad-- in fact, I think the school has a lot going for itself because it's in a smaller neighborhood with a strong sense of community. Safety is definitely not more of an issue than in NYC. You will live extremely well on $300 a week in Hyde Park. My advice would be to find a nice apartment downtown near Millennium Park. The train station is right there and it's an easy, quick, and safe ride to Hyde Park. There are tons of great stuff to do in Chicago-- each neighborhood is really unique, there are some fantastic restaurants, night life is strong, and there's tons to do on weekends. Summer here is fantastic, though winters can be brutal (more brutal, I think, than NYC). UChicago also has a strong graduate community, so you won't tend to be isolated from the rest of the student body.

Really, I don't think you could go wrong with what you've told me about either program. Just don't count Chicago out so quickly. Plus, we've got beaches :)

I'm currently trying to choose between two well known universities.

I will be staying in graduate accommodation at least for the first year, as trying to organise housing from the other side of the world is somewhat difficult.

School A in Chicago is slightly better reputation/prestige-wise and I understand the programme to be a little better too. School B in NYC is also a good school.

In terms of research interests, both schools are strong in my field and are a good fit for me. Both options are funded and after taking away rent (which includes gas, electricity, water, phone etc.), I'll have about $300 a week in both cities.

Can anyone offer me any insight as to how livable this amount of money is? Also, any general comments about differences or advantages of either city would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

What are the two schools in question? unsure.gif

It seems I've accidentally piqued people's curiosity about the identity of the schools :P

Northwestern and NYU are the options I'm considering. I'm leaning towards Northwestern at the moment.

Oh, well Northwestern is definitely not in Chicago. The campus is beautiful, but it's in a wealthy suburb north of the city. You can definitely still live in the city and take advantage of all that Chicago has to offer, but if you're any averse to suburban life, you'd best steer clear.

Northwestern has a really strong athletics program, so that may be an added benefit if you're any into sports. And their theater programs are great, so there should be plenty to do in Evanston on the weekends if you want a break from the downtown/night life scene.

I've visited NYU and it has a vastly different vibe than Northwestern. Northwestern is very gothic/collegial, and I feel that NYU students are very much more independent from the school itself.

Funny, because both universities are ones I've been accepted to for my own programs, so I've considered these aspects, as well!

Oh, well Northwestern is definitely not in Chicago. The campus is beautiful, but it's in a wealthy suburb north of the city. You can definitely still live in the city and take advantage of all that Chicago has to offer, but if you're any averse to suburban life, you'd best steer clear.

Northwestern has a really strong athletics program, so that may be an added benefit if you're any into sports. And their theater programs are great, so there should be plenty to do in Evanston on the weekends if you want a break from the downtown/night life scene.

I've visited NYU and it has a vastly different vibe than Northwestern. Northwestern is very gothic/collegial, and I feel that NYU students are very much more independent from the school itself.

Funny, because both universities are ones I've been accepted to for my own programs, so I've considered these aspects, as well!

Congrats on your offers! :)

The neuroscience programme at Northwestern is interdepartmental: it's actually split over the Evanston campus and the downtown Chicago medical school campus. So hopefully, that would be a nice balance between city and suburb.

Thanks! I'm split between Stanford and Columbia, as well. So many good cities to choose from! I'm very lucky.

Although NYU is a fantastic school, I love Chicago (where I've grown up and gone to undergrad). When I visited NYU, I really enjoyed the neighborhood. Tons of great restaurants and bars. Evanston has great coffee shops, but their restaurants are generally more on the commercial side. If you have time, and haven't visited the campuses, do a street view on google maps of the areas where you would frequent.

The student bodies at both schools are very different, as well. Just something else to consider!

Keep me posted on what you eventually decide. Both sound like fantastic opportunities for you. Congrats!

I'm a Chicagoan (born, bred and currently living) but I went to undergrad in NYC, and visit my friends there all the time. Cost of living is significantly higher in NYC- on all counts. Some of my friends live in cheap or semi-affordable NYC housing, but those apartments, which are mostly in Brooklyn, come with bedbugs, cockroaches, no sink in the bathroom- the nicest one I can think of is insanely small, and shared between three people. My friends are all very well-educated people in their late 20s to late 30s- you can live a hardscrabble artist/student life for a really long time there. Groceries are noticeably more expensive. And there's everything in the world to do, but without money, sometimes people feel pretty cut off from it. NYC on 300 a week would be brutal. I went to Columbia, not NYU, but all my grad student TAs looked perpetually ill and hungry.

Chicago can't compare to NYC in terms of size, but it is still a very big, very culturally active city. In terms of cultural cachet, NYC is competing worldwide, but Chicago is definitely a first-class American city, and even arguably world-class in certain areas: architecture, food, theater. It has great museums, symphony and opera- a fantastic waterfront with beaches and parklands. And Evanston, to me, doesn't really feel like a suburb. Officially, it's a township, and has a sort of funky college-town feel. It's directly connected to the city via streets, and the CTA.

I would say- if you have always dreamed of living in the biggest and most mind-boggling place in America, then you'll want NYC. But you have to WANT it, because NYC will make it hard for you. However, if you want to focus on your work, and have an easier time, definitely pick Northwestern. The program is better, per you, and Chicago is a far more forgiving city. It won't be lacking in anything you need.

If you end up going to Northwestern, I would encourage you to look at a Chicago neighborhood called Edgewater. I live there! If you want to live alone, it is an excellent source of cheap ($450-$600 per month) studio space. And beaches! It's an easy train commute to Northwestern, and it's the most diverse neighborhood in Chicago (good to consider if a particular kind of food is important to you- Edgewater probably has it.) Also, it's incredibly easy to get downtown. The 147 bus will get you to the medical campus in 15 minutes, and google bus tracker means you won't have to wait for it in the cold. Parking sucks, but if you don't have a car it's ideal. All the stops between Argyle and Granville on the redline are ideal for this downtown/evanston combo. West Edgewater has more multi-bedroom space if you want to save money with roommates. Rogers Park is also useful. Basically, up north on the Red Line train will have the housing you want. Evanston proper is more expensive, but it also has a great express train to downtown.

Feel free to ask any questions- I know the area really well.

Some of my friends live in cheap or semi-affordable NYC housing, but those apartments, which are mostly in Brooklyn, come with bedbugs, cockroaches, no sink in the bathroom- the nicest one I can think of is insanely small, and shared between three people.

Jeez Louise, theotherlily! I'm sorry all your friends live in such shitty apartments. That must not have been much fun, but there's no need for fear-mongering.

Yes, your expectations of space and cost have to be adjusted for NYC. That said, I live in a 3 bedroom apartment that is an entire floor of a townhouse in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Brooklyn, and we each pay around $600/month. There are places in that cost range and lower that are available, you just have to look for them. (And yes, we have a sink in our bathroom.) And there's nothing bad about living in Brooklyn. Especially if you're trying to get to NYU.

Your apartment is just a place to sleep. Live somewhere small, but don't spend all your time there. Get out in the world! Sure, a lot of the "things to do" are expensive, but here's the trick: make friends with people who do interesting things, and they'll get you into interesting things. I can't tell you the number of museums I've visited for free, the performances I've gotten cheap (or free!) tickets to, the parties and dances I've been to, just because I knew people involved. There are plenty of free concerts, free events - just don't limit yourself to the mainstream.

Chicago and New York are both lovely cities, they're just different. I don't have experience living in Chicago, so I can't speak to that. But I have thoroughly enjoyed the three years I've lived in NYC.

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm finally starting to feel like I'm making an informed decision now, despite not having been to either place.

I'll be sure to let you know what I end up going with :)