MA in Latin American Studies: NYU v. U Chicago

Hi guys!

So after much blood, sweat and tears, I got in to my top two programs.

I never thought it would happen for a number of reasons. I'm super grateful to whatever magical juju exists that got me this far.

Unfortunately, I work at a grassroots org. and will not have the time to unchain myself from my desk until May to go on campus tours. This puts me in a bind since I'll be making my decision a little in the blind.

SO my question is:

NYU: Joint Masters in Journalism and Latin American Studies

No Funding

But with pretty sick internship hookups, especially for Journo's (yes, dying field, blah blah blah. So far I've done ok in journalism/communications work)

Awesome Faculty

It's New York!

U Chicago: Latin American Studies

$14,570 in funding-BIG PLUS!

Very oriented to my research interests

Unclear about post-MA career outcomes

Uncertain about faculty. Program was founded by John Coatsworth who teaches at Columbia now, and they cross list with NYU.

Never been to Chicago but I hear it's pretty cool.

Note: I'm also waiting for an LSE decision on funding (Msc in Comparative Politics-Latin America).

Which one to choose? Who has the better career services (e.g. invests more time in you to get ahead)? Does anyone have experience with either Latin American Studies programs or NYU journalism institute?

There are a couple of things you have to take into consideration particularly the cost vs. what you eventually want to do with that degree.

How much is the cost for an M.A. at NYU? + the cost of living

How much would you have to pay for an M.A. at Chicago? + cost of living

It is hard to make a decision where you are going to be at for the next one to possibly two years without visiting the campus and getting a feel for what it is like being a student there. I would try to get in contact via email with the faculty as well as graduate students in these programs.

If you are leaning more towards journalism and building a network I would go to NYU. Chicago's program seems much more academic oriented with the Latin American Studies MA.

Thanks boderlands!

I am leaning towards NYU precisely for the you reasons stated.

UChicago is 63k for 9 months....NYU is 65k for 2 years. In a 2 year time span, I might be able to find funding.

I'm contacting students but it's never the same going. Such is work :(

Hi,

I am not too familiar with either of these schools, but I know about Latin American studies. I graduated from the MA program at Georgetown, along with a bunch of journalists.

Even though Gtown has a pretty amazing career center and excellent internship placements, in the end what got me my internships and my job was the name of the school, the people I met while I was a student (everyone likes to meet students, it turns out) and the city where the school is located. Applying this to your problem, I would go to NYU. I think NYC is likely to offer you better opportunities than Chicago can and I think a 2-year program will give you more flexibility to intern while you go to school.

Lastly don't worry too much about funding. I was accepted with zero funding and by the second year had full tuition remission plus a stipend and an internship. Best decision I ever made in my life.

Buena suerte!

I don't really have much advice at all except to say that I'm going to be deciding between LAS programs pretty soon here too and have my heart stretched out between three schools, including NYU as one, haha :)

Hi,

I am not too familiar with either of these schools, but I know about Latin American studies. I graduated from the MA program at Georgetown, along with a bunch of journalists.

Even though Gtown has a pretty amazing career center and excellent internship placements, in the end what got me my internships and my job was the name of the school, the people I met while I was a student (everyone likes to meet students, it turns out) and the city where the school is located. Applying this to your problem, I would go to NYU. I think NYC is likely to offer you better opportunities than Chicago can and I think a 2-year program will give you more flexibility to intern while you go to school.

Lastly don't worry too much about funding. I was accepted with zero funding and by the second year had full tuition remission plus a stipend and an internship. Best decision I ever made in my life.

Buena suerte!

Since I am not from the region, I'm not sure --> would you say that NYU or Georgetown is more reputable/highly known out east?