Union-NYC

highlanders

OK- what in the word is going on? About a month ago, I was told in one week that decisions were being sent out. I know there has been some turnover there, so they might still be trying to catch up/clean up an administrative mess. Nonetheless, some of us have applied to other schools who want a decision by March 30.

OK- what in the word is going on? About a month ago, I was told in one week that decisions were being sent out. I know there has been some turnover there, so they might still be trying to catch up/clean up an administrative mess. Nonetheless, some of us have applied to other schools who want a decision by March 30.

PhD Decisions went out the end of the first week of March, which seems rather late considering some people who met the Feb 15 deadline in 2010 heard back on March 3.

Needless to say, they're behind this year. Their website says decisions should come in 3-4 weeks and than those meeting the Feb 15 deadline should hear by the end of March. These clearly aren't the same thing, but they do appear one sentence after the next.

Since their Director of Admissions really was the whole department and they haven't filled the position, I would guess other people are trying to do their own jobs and get decision letters together. Also, their spring break was last week, so if there were decisions to still be made, I'd bet nothing got done last week. I did e-mail admissions about two weeks ago and Alain (he's the Associate Dean of Academic Administration and is the entire Fin Aid department) let me know that applications were still being reviewed, but he didn't give me a time line for when letters might go out.

Other folks who applied to Union, whether you'd decided to go elsewhere or not, have you heard back from Union?

OR, has anyone who applied to the MDiv program heard from Union?

Highlanders, you're MA, right? I remember this from other posts. I'm losing my mind waiting to hear...I've talked myself into and out of believing that having not heard back means I'm simply rejected. My focus is psych and religion, and I'm pursuing ordination, so Union is kind of my dream school.

OR, has anyone who applied to the MDiv program heard from Union?

Highlanders, you're MA, right? I remember this from other posts. I'm losing my mind waiting to hear...I've talked myself into and out of believing that having not heard back means I'm simply rejected. My focus is psych and religion, and I'm pursuing ordination, so Union is kind of my dream school.

Yep, I'm MA. I think it's a whole disorganized mess to be honest, and my letter was dated March 15 which means they were holding onto it for a while before releasing. I just don't get how they plan on attracting students this year because all the other schools have notified their applicants, and if students are waiting specifically for Union, they offer limited scholarships upon acceptance.

It's sort of unfortunate, I went into this with Union as my top choice, but I've learned throughout the application process that it's not what it used to be for the MA program.

Edited by highlanders

I am still waiting on Mdiv results from union... I don't know that it will affect my decision but I would still love to know!! I think that it is really unfortunate that union's rep seems to be going downhill. Of all my undergrad professors and the reverends I know, I looked up to those who attended Union for their Mdiv the most. When I first began the application process I expected union to be my top choice. Oh well....

I am still waiting on Mdiv results from union... I don't know that it will affect my decision but I would still love to know!! I think that it is really unfortunate that union's rep seems to be going downhill. Of all my undergrad professors and the reverends I know, I looked up to those who attended Union for their Mdiv the most. When I first began the application process I expected union to be my top choice. Oh well....

Thanks for the thread of hope, E P Unum! Good to know another MDiv applicant is waiting. Maybe MA results went out first? I will say I don't think Union is doing poorly anywhere except their admissions office. Of course there are things they could do better, every school has those, but there are no glaring issues that stand out to me except admissions and I see this as a result of losing their one person admissions department in early February. Last year, when a friend of mine applied, they got back to her in two weeks via e-mail and regular mail. I'm hopeful. I don't want to let their current struggles in admissions color my whole view of the school.

I called on friday and finally got the letter in the mail yesterday (dated the 15th -- ha!), for the MA. I am annoyed because I had to schedule a last minute visit for this weekend without knowing if they're giving me any aid... I have to go this weekend because I already have plans to go to Chicago the following weekend. Apparently there is one guy doing admissions AND financial aid. Still very excited though! I just hope they don't stiff me on aid...

Any news on the Mdiv front? I might call today......

I haven't been home to check my mail yet, but I'm leaving my office now...Did you call? Their office closes at 5pm.

Edit: Nothing in the mail today...

Edited by vermonster

Another day, another empty mailbox...

Looking at last year's results, it seems as though notifications for MAs went out about a week before notifications for the MDivs. Maybe that means our decisions are going in the mail tomorrow? I've e-mailed twice since I submitted my application and have been hesitant to call for that reason, but I'm thinking I'll call tomorrow. I might try the Financial Aid office if I keep getting voicemail in Admissions, since Alain in FA is working both offices right now.

I just called and was told my letter went in the mail yesterday. The person I spoke with said he wasn't allowed to give results over the phone. Not sure if that means he doesn't want to give rejections over the phone or if that means a student was answering phones and the student isn't allowed to give out results. I'm trying not to be negative but I'm feeling really anxious.

Got my notice on the 1st, accepted, no funding. MDiv. I don't know whether or not they don't like my critique of or they just don't have funding, but either way, no big deal. Niebuhr

I really don't think they have any funding at all for master's or MDiv degrees, maybe like one or two get some sort of package now. Sort of wondering if this is a sign of a future move to incorporate the program into Columbia's.

• 1 month later...