Best software for annotated bibliography?

pippa

So I'm almost done with my first year of graduate school, and am finally getting around to trying to "organize" myself. One thing that I would really like to do is start keeping annotations on my computer for basically everything I read, which would also make it really easy for me to organize annotated bibliographies when I start to work on projects. I've been through the forums and have read about softwares used to make citation easier, but it's still not clear to me if these programs work well for storing annotations as well.

Any recommendations? Would like to be able to tag entries and store fairly lengthy annotations. I should add, I'm in the humanities, use a mac, and need to be able to use non-English fonts (specifically greek unicode, but could add other alphabets in the future).

Thanks!

I use Endnote for all of the above. You can store up to (45?) items tagged to each reference- so the article, an annotated copy of the article, some figures related to the article, your notes about the article, etc.

In addition, they have two sections for notes within the software itself.

Endnote is just my personal preference, I think other similar programs work as well (Mendeley, etc).

I need an all-in-one kind of deal myself. I keep moving through different programs to try them out, but never settling on any of them. Pages seems pretty solid, as does Bookmarks. I haven't really given Endnote much of a chance yet, but it seems very popular. Scrivener, as far as I know, is mainly for composition of papers. I gave it a shot and I liked the concept, but I'm not sure it works well for annotated bibs. Its main focus seems to be collating ideas and turning them into a bigger project.

I'm actually looking into similar software to database reading notes in a way that can be tagged and cross-referenced. Haven't found anything that seems specifically designed for this yet, but am looking into building something that would work in FileMaker Pro. there's got to be something out there that covers all of these basics?

I need an all-in-one kind of deal myself. I keep moving through different programs to try them out, but never settling on any of them. Pages seems pretty solid, as does Bookmarks. I haven't really given Endnote much of a chance yet, but it seems very popular. Scrivener, as far as I know, is mainly for composition of papers. I gave it a shot and I liked the concept, but I'm not sure it works well for annotated bibs. Its main focus seems to be collating ideas and turning them into a bigger project.

I'm actually looking into similar software to database reading notes in a way that can be tagged and cross-referenced. Haven't found anything that seems specifically designed for this yet, but am looking into building something that would work in FileMaker Pro. there's got to be something out there that covers all of these basics?

You could try Papers2 or DevonThink.

You could try Papers2 or DevonThink.

Arghh. Sorry, I meant Papers, not Pages. I'll look into DevonThink -- thanks for the tip! I think I just need to pick one, learn it well, and stick with it!

I've recently started using Zotero and I really like it.

I've been playing around with Zotero a little over the past few days too and I'm impressed. It seems to do everything I would want it to do!