History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Any word from Stanford yet? I saw the one waitlist on the board, but it's unclear if anyone has heard an affirmative yes or no. I'm in the law school right now with a PhD app pending and was just wondering whether anyone knew anything. Thanks guys!

Any word from Stanford yet? I saw the one waitlist on the board, but it's unclear if anyone has heard an affirmative yes or no. I'm in the law school right now with a PhD app pending and was just wondering whether anyone knew anything. Thanks guys!

Decisions have been made. Notifications are going out now.

Thanks hazelmoor. Just nice to know my insane email checking is at least for some cause. :)

Well, I don't know exactly when you'll be notified. I believe it's normal to have advisors make the congratulatory email, so times will vary. :) And I don't really know when rejections come through, or how that happens. All I know is that decisions have been made and people are being notified. :lol:

Fair enough. Any idea of whether the numbers are about the same as normal or if you guys are down this year?

Last year's cohort was larger than normal. We're not taking a number that large, but I believe we're taking a number comparable to previous years.

Things are very quiet on the history front today..... Too quiet......

Things ARE really quiet. I wonder what the ratio of users of TGC to total grad school applicants is. No one has posted any results from four out of the five schools I'm applying to, and only a handful for the one school that is reporting.

Things ARE really quiet. I wonder what the ratio of users of TGC to total grad school applicants is. No one has posted any results from four out of the five schools I'm applying to, and only a handful for the one school that is reporting.

They are pretty quiet, but I expect a few more to come in around 5pm when people post after they get off work and such.

I think our expectations were altered a bit by the Yale bloodbath that happened yesterday.

I'm the person on the waitlist...a professor contacted me by e-mail to let me know last week. It was a very nice, personal and sincere e-mail, but it's pretty clear that I am NOT geting in. I suspect I will hear a more definite rejection soon. It certainly does sound like they've made their deliberations.

what would your instinct say if a ph.d. student in a program you applied to contacted you to ask how your application process was going? ...if you had talked to that person previously, but not for several months. 1. it is entirely possible the person is just incredibly nice and thoughtful, which is great. 2. it is an informal way of the department to see what's up with somebody they're interested in, so to speak.

any thoughts? i don't want to read anything into it without cause... thanks.

what would your instinct say if a ph.d. student in a program you applied to contacted you to ask how your application process was going? ...if you had talked to that person previously, but not for several months. 1. it is entirely possible the person is just incredibly nice and thoughtful, which is great. 2. it is an informal way of the department to see what's up with somebody they're interested in, so to speak.

any thoughts? i don't want to read anything into it without cause... thanks.

As a Ph.D. student myself, I'm personally getting antsy to see who our admits are going to be (I know, I could just wait until Visit Day in March, but...), so if I'd been in contact with an applicant I might contact them again just to see how they're doing, see if they've heard from our department, etc. It seems a little much to think a grad student might be doing a little spy work like you imply in your second option, but given that I know a lot of depts. are cutting back on their admit class this year, I suppose it could be possible. If you're worried about that, you could just email back something pleasant and upbeat reiterating your interest in the program but not mentioning whether or not you have any admission offers yet. :)

Congrats to the UC-Davis admit! Nice to see good news after the Yale debacle, although I will admit that slow days on TGC make my work day much more boring. I'm getting just as excited to see other people get in places at this point. My competitive spirit is taking a holiday, I guess. :wink:

Congrats to all! I'm sorry to all the Yale admits... that definitely has to hurt more than seeing that slew of Penn rejects last year. (My goodness, am I really that scarred for life? :oops: )

Update on Michigan according to my prof: "It's mad crazy, it's hair-raising! Professors are fighting with each other... we're turning away so many excellent candidates.. it's just insane that we have 370 applications for 35 invites to yield about 18 people!"

End of story. Sounds to me that Michigan's going to take a little longer this year.