History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Uh oh, my town called a Snow Day. No class, but I'm also positive this will mean no mail. I'm probably the only person around with conflicting feelings about a Snow Day!

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

My brain is holding them to it, but I'm in the same boat as you, Sonic.

I remember seeing one acceptance for CU-Boulder...has that person been in contact with the department? Any inside information? Has anyone else heard anything?

I'm not the lucky individual who received the Chancellor's Fellowship at Boulder (That's the only acceptance I've seen from Boulder's history program so far)... but I do know that their website states

that they won't send out decisions until the third week of March, and in conversations with the current graduate director, I've been able to confirm that "the end of March" is the timeframe that we're looking at. That's about as inside as I've managed to get, unfortunately! I am trying to console myself that there are only a few more weeks to go... I'm helped along by the fact that I've got exams this week, so worrying about admissions in several weeks is a slightly lower priority at the moment!

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

My brain is holding them to it, but I'm in the same boat as you, Sonic.

You two should pick up a bottle of whiskey and go sledding. If the mail comes, it will be there when you get back.

I certainly would if they would admit me. :D I am headed to Indiana later this week though. And even looking at houses with a realtor while I'm there in case that turns out to be the place.

Synth....do give me an update on your feelings about Indiana when you get back. I just got wait-listed there, so trying to decide if I'm gonna start campaigning real hard to get in. Honestly I think the program sounds great, and its a good fit for me, just don't know about living in Bloomington.

Whats everyone's opinion about making visits to schools where I am waitlisted for funding. I'm going to be in the states for the next two weeks, and wonder if it is normal for someone who is waitlisted to visit with professors. I figure that if I make a good impression it could help me get off the list, and at the same time, give me a better idea of whether or not I really really want to go. Any thoughts?

Synth....do give me an update on your feelings about Indiana when you get back. I just got wait-listed there, so trying to decide if I'm gonna start campaigning real hard to get in. Honestly I think the program sounds great, and its a good fit for me, just don't know about living in Bloomington.

Whats everyone's opinion about making visits to schools where I am waitlisted for funding. I'm going to be in the states for the next two weeks, and wonder if it is normal for someone who is waitlisted to visit with professors. I figure that if I make a good impression it could help me get off the list, and at the same time, give me a better idea of whether or not I really really want to go. Any thoughts?

Maybe if you were wait-listed somewhere other than Indiana. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit there, even if Bloomington is the least Indiana-like town in the state. This is partly because I am skeptical it will make a difference, but if someone has a story to prove otherwise, do tell.

Will do; I made an informal visit to Bloomington while I was in Indiana for other reasons fairly recently. The campus was impressive and the town seems to get rave reviews, although I didn't get a chance to spend much time checking out the local scene. There is an "Indiana" thread in the Sociology forum where someone posted about a visit last weekend and seemed thoroughly impressed. I've also been reading a lot in the Indiana forum on www.city-data.com - there are some Bloomington discussion threads there as well. It seems like an ideal environment for someone who doesn't need the true big city, and frankly, after splitting nearly a decade between New York City and Los Angeles, I'm one of those people at this point. :wink: Just being in a university town will provide most of the cultural stuff I need to get by.

The city aside, I feel the same way about the program itself. My only concern is that early modern europe is not an area with a lot of faculty, but the faculty that are there are really spot on for me. Plus if I do my secondary field in either modern Russia or late antiquity, both those sub-departments are quite strong. In fact there's a large late antiquity conference going on during my visit, which is exciting. Misterpat has a valid perspective, but if you're keen on Indiana, I can't see how it would hurt to squeeze in a visit. I can't imagine that it would hurt your odds (another school told me that a visit even when you're not admitted yet is a mark in your file in your favor, at least at that school anyway), and I would think they'd be receptive, given how wonderfully helpful and accommodating they've been for me.

Will do; I made an informal visit to Bloomington while I was in Indiana for other reasons fairly recently. The campus was impressive and the town seems to get rave reviews, although I didn't get a chance to spend much time checking out the local scene. There is an "Indiana" thread in the Sociology forum where someone posted about a visit last weekend and seemed thoroughly impressed. I've also been reading a lot in the Indiana forum on www.city-data.com - there are some Bloomington discussion threads there as well. It seems like an ideal environment for someone who doesn't need the true big city, and frankly, after splitting nearly a decade between New York City and Los Angeles, I'm one of those people at this point. :wink: Just being in a university town will provide most of the cultural stuff I need to get by.

The city aside, I feel the same way about the program itself. My only concern is that early modern europe is not an area with a lot of faculty, but the faculty that are there are really spot on for me. Plus if I do my secondary field in either modern Russia or late antiquity, both those sub-departments are quite strong. In fact there's a large late antiquity conference going on during my visit, which is exciting. Misterpat has a valid perspective, but if you're keen on Indiana, I can't see how it would hurt to squeeze in a visit. I can't imagine that it would hurt your odds (another school told me that a visit even when you're not admitted yet is a mark in your file in your favor, at least at that school anyway), and I would think they'd be receptive, given how wonderfully helpful and accommodating they've been for me.

Being from the Midwest, and having lived in Boston and New York, the Big 10 towns (Champaign-Urbana, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Bloomington, and Madison, specifically) are not-so-secretly my favorite places in America. There's a lot of frat-bar, frat-bar, frat-bar but the mature and stable populations of these places make them unexpected treasures.

I just got back from there a couple days ago. The program looks great, everyone seems happy and invested in their community. Bloomington's got a lot of amenities (restaurants, music scene), although the only way out is an airport shuttle that costs $25 each way...so if you don't drive a car, it might be a pit of no return. I'm not sure yet if I'm going, but it's definitely very strong and, I would say, worth campaigning for.

I just got back from there a couple days ago. The program looks great, everyone seems happy and invested in their community. Bloomington's got a lot of amenities (restaurants, music scene), although the only way out is an airport shuttle that costs $25 each way...so if you don't drive a car, it might be a pit of no return. I'm not sure yet if I'm going, but it's definitely very strong and, I would say, worth campaigning for.

Slawken, thanks for the first-hand info. How was your visit structured? I was told that the primary visit day could run from 8 am to as late as 8 pm including meals, etc., but I won't get my itinerary until I arrive, so trying to figure out how long my day will actually be. Luckily if I go there, we'll be bringing two cars, but if that is a concern for anyone, as long as it's not a licensing issue, I think you could find a cheap, reliable, older car pretty easily there. I also understand that there is a fairly decent bus system in Bloomington for getting to and from campus that is free for students - correct me if I'm wrong slawken...

Slawken, thanks for the first-hand info. How was your visit structured? I was told that the primary visit day could run from 8 am to as late as 8 pm including meals, etc., but I won't get my itinerary until I arrive, so trying to figure out how long my day will actually be. Luckily if I go there, we'll be bringing two cars, but if that is a concern for anyone, as long as it's not a licensing issue, I think you could find a cheap, reliable, older car pretty easily there. I also understand that there is a fairly decent bus system in Bloomington for getting to and from campus that is free for students - correct me if I'm wrong slawken...

I got in on Thursday and had dinner with a grad student. On Friday, I had a schedule that was completely packed with meetings and a conference, from 8am to 9pm. (Well, actually, more like 1am, since we decided to go get drunk with a few grad students...) On Saturday, I just walked around the town for a bit and had some unstructured time before I left for the airport. And yes, there is a free bus system, but I didn't try it out--I was being driven back and forth by people.

someone here was nice enough to send me a private message regarding cornell's admissions. for the sake of privacy as well as because it's highly unofficial, i won't copy and paste it but i'll give people the gist of it if they're still waiting for hear from cornell.

the school's already contacted everyone that was accepted for the history PhD. they're offering spaces to 12 or 13 people this year, hoping for an incoming class of 8 or 9 people. they only took one latin americanist this year, and the professor that i would've had as my adviser is taking a position at another institution in the fall, so (s)he wouldn't even have been there.

so i won't take it too personally. :)

and, heard more from carnegie mellon this morning. they are mailing out their acceptances, but emailing out invitations to the program's open house. i received my email invitation before my snail mail acceptance (i live in canada and our mail here is always either late or lost). the grad secretary was nice enough to upload a scan of the acceptance letter and it guarantees funding for 4 years with the possibility of being funded all the way to the 7th year. not bad at all. also a rather sizable stipend for the city of pittsburgh ($17,500/yr).

After five rejections I got my first acceptance today!

I was accepted to Washington State University. They haven't mentioned anything specific about funding yet, but it sounds like information will be forthcoming.

Did anyone else here apply to WSU?

Do any WSU students have any words of advice?

After five rejections I got my first acceptance today!

I was accepted to Washington State University. They haven't mentioned anything specific about funding yet, but it sounds like information will be forthcoming.

Congrats, kahlen!!! :D

I've never been to WSU, but friends of mine used to live in Spokane and although that city isn't particularly amazing, the area surrounding it is BEAUTIFUL. Then again, I adore Washington- I was in Seattle in December and was kicking myself for not applying to UW. Good luck with your funding.

Congrats, kahlen!!! :D

I've never been to WSU, but friends of mine used to live in Spokane and although that city isn't particularly amazing, the area surrounding it is BEAUTIFUL. Then again, I adore Washington- I was in Seattle in December and was kicking myself for not applying to UW. Good luck with your funding.

Thanks!

Actually, the WSU campus I was accepted to is in Pullman. I've heard good things about Washington in general, and I think I would like it there.

congrats on CM, strangelight. i thought about applying there, but i didn't think i 'd like pittsburgh. i kind of wish i would have now. i keep seeing so many rejections on here --- and i only applied to four schools! :o

Thanks!

Actually, the WSU campus I was accepted to is in Pullman. I've heard good things about Washington in general, and I think I would like it there.

Hi, I am a UW undergrad and I know a good number of people at WSU. There are good things to say about washington in general - but I don't think an analysis of WSU should come from 'washington in general'. I will offer you my perspective on the school while admitting fully that my view is coated by my experience as an undergrad in Seattle and not Pullman. Also I am going to be a little blunt and I hope you don't take it personally.

For one Seattle and Pullman have absolutely nothing in common. Pullman is in Eastern washington aka the desert - it is a secluded college town where WSU is the only engine that makes the town move. When I say secluded I mean secluded ( i have lived in such fabulous rural hellholes as milledgeville georgia and fort mill, south carolina & I assure you Pullman competes with them in terms of being in the middle of nowhere. It is a 5 and a half hour drive to Seattle from Pullman.

Among Washingtonians, WSU has a reputation as a notorious party university (after all what else can one do in Pullman) and if I could describe the atmosphere I would say it is like a giant frat house. No one rally lives in Pullman except people affiliated with the WSU and the town empties during breaks - when the 2nd rate WA residents who settled on going there migrate back to their run of the mill rural WA towns (there are very few students from out of state).

Also as a graduate institution I could mot imagine a worse environment to spend 6 years in. I am also looking at a PhD in American History and I don't think the faculty and placement rates at WSU would be worth the sacrifice of your intellectual energy and time. As far as prestige goes the school is not even ranked in the top 85 on US news and doesn't carry much weight regionally either.

Now I am not trying to be a dick or to belittle the place where your considering graduate work. I am presenting my perspective and above all URGING you to visit the school before accepting anything. If giant state schools without any sort of academic weight in the middle of nowhere are your thing...then go for it. If you LOVE football, keystone light, and endless wheat fields - then I couldn't imagine a better place to pursue your graduate education.

Has anyone had any contact with Yale recently?

I got waitlisted there and sent a really short friendly email to the secretary asking her if they had any data on how many people were waitlisted etc. (I even waited two weeks to make sure they weren't too bogged down with admissions stuff). In response I got this really curt one line email telling me to (paraphrased) "Stop bothering us - doubtful you will get in - shut the &$%# up and wait for Apr. 15." This is on top of their uber-impersonal online decision letter and utter lack of communication thereafter. I donno - it seems to bode badly for their graduate culture. Anyone have any views/counter-examples for this?

I am playing with the idea of actively campaigning for Yale - but this kind of thing really puts me off. Especially since both Columbia and Michigan have been so wonderful in this regard. Is it just a Yale thing? Or a waitlist at Harvard/Princeton/Yale thing? Or just a Harvard/Princeton/Yale thing? Would love to hear from people who have been admitted into Yale outright.

Congrats on your acceptance to CMU. My husband went there for undergrad and loved it. My husband always jokes about how one can experience all four seasons in a single day without warning, though I'm sure this is due to his sensitivity to change in temperature. Then again, if you're from Canada you probably won't mind the cold. He can't stand the cold. We visited CMU for one of his alumni reunions and I really liked the town and school. And the stipend is awesome for living in Pittsburgh.

No one rally lives in Pullman except people affiliated with the WSU and the town empties during breaks - when the 2nd rate WA residents who settled on going there migrate back to their run of the mill rural WA towns (there are very few students from out of state).

If one could drown in snobbery, I'd be gasping for air after this post.

Ha, yeah I definitely laughed out loud a few times. HF really rained on this guy's parade, but part of me wonders whether it might be valuable advice. The picture he painted of it made me think of Universities I've visited like Western Illinois University, and (probably closer to it, academically) Illinois State. Fine places to drink for a weekend, I might add. But I wouldn't want to live there.

Also I am going to be a little blunt and I hope you don't take it personally.

For one Seattle and Pullman have absolutely nothing in common. Pullman is in Eastern washington aka the desert - it is a secluded college town where WSU is the only engine that makes the town move. When I say secluded I mean secluded ( i have lived in such fabulous rural hellholes as milledgeville georgia and fort mill, south carolina & I assure you Pullman competes with them in terms of being in the middle of nowhere. It is a 5 and a half hour drive to Seattle from Pullman.

Among Washingtonians, WSU has a reputation as a notorious party university (after all what else can one do in Pullman) and if I could describe the atmosphere I would say it is like a giant frat house. No one rally lives in Pullman except people affiliated with the WSU and the town empties during breaks - when the 2nd rate WA residents who settled on going there migrate back to their run of the mill rural WA towns (there are very few students from out of state).

[sounds like snobbery of the Ivy League variety, but I will admit that I chuckled]

Also as a graduate institution I could mot imagine a worse environment to spend 6 years in. [This strikes me as genuine advice, and not just an attempt to score comedic points] I am also looking at a PhD in American History and I don't think the faculty and placement rates at WSU would be worth the sacrifice of your intellectual energy and time. As far as prestige goes the school is not even ranked in the top 85 on US news and doesn't carry much weight regionally either.

Now I am not trying to be a dick or to belittle the place where your considering graduate work. [You surely could have tried a little harder] I am presenting my perspective and above all URGING you to visit the school before accepting anything. If giant state schools without any sort of academic weight in the middle of nowhere are your thing...then go for it. If you LOVE football, keystone light, and endless wheat fields - then I couldn't imagine a better place to pursue your graduate education.

I can't blame HF too much for this message's bluntness. I would probably post a comparably nasty message if someone was going to do their PhD at SIU-Carbondale.

Kahlen, congrats on getting accepted! I know how that feels after being demoralized by five rejections. Having lived in Washington throughout high school, I can say that some of what highfructosecorn is saying is true. I've never been to Pullman, but it is very, very far away from Seattle, and it is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. It also has a reputation for being a school where UW rejects go, but that doesn't mean you won't find the profs and other grad students intellectually stimulating. (Hey, I'm a UW reject for undergrad, and I'd like to think I'm smart.) Some of the best and smartest high school teachers I've ever had--including my favorite History professor--are WSU alum. And I know several people who are quite bright who have been or are going to WSU, including several of my classmates from AP classes in high school. So I'd definitely recommend visiting, meeting with profs, and seeing how well your interests align and how active they are in terms of publishing.

Hi, I am a UW undergrad and I know a good number of people at WSU. There are good things to say about washington in general - but I don't think an analysis of WSU should come from 'washington in general'. I will offer you my perspective on the school while admitting fully that my view is coated by my experience as an undergrad in Seattle and not Pullman. Also I am going to be a little blunt and I hope you don't take it personally.

Also as a graduate institution I could mot imagine a worse environment to spend 6 years in. I am also looking at a PhD in American History and I don't think the faculty and placement rates at WSU would be worth the sacrifice of your intellectual energy and time. As far as prestige goes the school is not even ranked in the top 85 on US news and doesn't carry much weight regionally either.

Now I am not trying to be a dick or to belittle the place where your considering graduate work. I am presenting my perspective and above all URGING you to visit the school before accepting anything. If giant state schools without any sort of academic weight in the middle of nowhere are your thing...then go for it. If you LOVE football, keystone light, and endless wheat fields - then I couldn't imagine a better place to pursue your graduate education.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, I know that Washington is a large state, and that different parts of the state are quite different. I am aware of Pullman's location.

The middle of nowhere is quite my thing, I lived in the middle of nowhere before moving to an suburban sprawl type area for my MA, and I would be glad to get back to that sort of place. As for a party atmosphere, oh well, as long as I can find an apartment that isn't surrounded by people having loud parties, then it doesn't matter to me. If most people leave during breaks, that's fine too. Then it will be quiet and that's nice.

As for the ranking, well, ranking isn't everything. I'll look into the placement rates before making my decision. This program was recommended by various professors at my current school as one they thought would be a good fit for me. I don't think they would have recommended it if they didn't see some merit in the program.

Since you don't go to the school, I don't think you have that much perspective on it. Sure you know people there, but I wouldn't give others advice on a school based on knowing people there. No offense or anything.

I do plan to visit before accepting, but WSU would be better than my current school, if they even accept me to their Ph.D. program. At least they have a decent sized faculty there. I'm currently at a tiny department that has three full time professors.

Yep, I agree.

Ha, yeah I definitely laughed out loud a few times. HF really rained on this guy's parade, but part of me wonders whether it might be valuable advice. The picture he painted of it made me think of Universities I've visited like Western Illinois University, and (probably closer to it, academically) Illinois State. Fine places to drink for a weekend, I might add. But I wouldn't want to live there.

I was amused as well. Honestly, I'm not going to put much stock in the advice of someone who doesn't even go to the school they are bashing. It would take something much more substantive to rain on this girl's parade. I'm just glad to have been accepted somewhere.

Kahlen, congrats on getting accepted! I know how that feels after being demoralized by five rejections. Having lived in Washington throughout high school, I can say that some of what highfructosecorn is saying is true. I've never been to Pullman, but it is very, very far away from Seattle, and it is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. It also has a reputation for being a school where UW rejects go, but that doesn't mean you won't find the profs and other grad students intellectually stimulating. (Hey, I'm a UW reject for undergrad, and I'd like to think I'm smart.) Some of the best and smartest high school teachers I've ever had--including my favorite History professor--are WSU alum. And I know several people who are quite bright who have been or are going to WSU, including several of my classmates from AP classes in high school. So I'd definitely recommend visiting, meeting with profs, and seeing how well your interests align and how active they are in terms of publishing.

Thanks! Yep, I plan to visit. The professor who would be my advisor seems to be pretty active in publishing as far as I can tell from the website.

I should note that so far the only thing that has been said about the reputation of the graduate school there is that it isn't ranked highly. Most of the other information has been about the undergrad school, which isn't necessarily all that relevant.