History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

So I think I'm going to have a nervous freak out! How did you find out?? Email, phone, mail? Today? Crap crap crap crap crap!

EDIT: Congratulations by the way! I am happy for you, that just got overshadowed by my freak out for a minute. :)

They called me last night. I'm sure you'll hear something soon.

I did the same thing to misterpat when I heard about his acceptance to Temple because I haven't heard anything yet. I had to go back and edit in the "Congratulations."

Congratulations! I got an acceptance e-mail today as well. For what it's worth, this is what they said regarding PhD funding:

I've gotten a more attractive offer from another school, so I'll be turning them down. Writing that e-mail is gonna be tough though.

I'm was told that I'm being considered for a TA, so that's why they weren't able to give me a definitive on the stipend. It will depend on what the need is for TAs, and whether or not I decide to do it during the first year. I've been teaching and it would only add to my experience, so I haven't decided just yet if I want the TA or just the stipend. I have time to think it over though. Are you going to visit or are you not going to consider it?

Well I have an update on my wait-list status at Notre Dame. I received a phone call today relating that the professor I desire to work with would like to meet with me before he goes to France. They will pay for the journey. Any thoughts on this?

Well I have an update on my wait-list status at Notre Dame. I received a phone call today relating that the professor I desire to work with would like to meet with me before he goes to France. They will pay for the journey. Any thoughts on this?

Go meet with the man.

Ah, was it you that posted the Temple acceptance in the results? Congrats! Did you see the decision on the TU Portal/Owlnet web page?

Yes, that was me. I was accepted via Owlnet, which kind of surprised me. I assume I'll get some kind of letter in the mail, too. I'm tempted to e-mail the Professor I was in conact with prior to applying to see if he's my advisor and can provide me any funding info.

Congrats again - glad you're racking up some late-season good news. I started strong and have finished weak. But I suppose that's the less stressful way to go. I always got the impression that you were more keen on Temple?

Thanks again. You're playing your cards a little closer to your chest now, so I don't really know where you weren't accepted to, but choosing between UCSB and Indiana has got to be difficult.

Wehter I am more keen on Temple or Mizzou is a tough call; it's unfortunately probably going to come down to money. Mizzou is an MA and Temple a PhD, so there's the issue we were discussing previously about possibly transferring. But I think I might be in good shape for placement at Temple with David Farber as my adviser; I'm a big fan of his work, and he seems to be pretty well-known. My Mizzou adivser is great too, though. Soooo I've got some thinking to do.

The only school I've yet to hear (read: be rejected) from is UChicago. I'm starting to think that letter got lost in the mail. Maybe I entered my address wrong on the application. :lol:

The only school I've yet to hear (read: be rejected) from is UChicago. I'm starting to think that letter got lost in the mail. Maybe I entered my address wrong on the application. :lol:

Late congrats, misterpat!!! It's awesome that you have a choice that you're happy with, and is tough for all the right reasons.

I'm completely with you on the Chicago thing, btw. I'd like to close that chapter too.

I'm was told that I'm being considered for a TA, so that's why they weren't able to give me a definitive on the stipend. It will depend on what the need is for TAs, and whether or not I decide to do it during the first year. I've been teaching and it would only add to my experience, so I haven't decided just yet if I want the TA or just the stipend. I have time to think it over though. Are you going to visit or are you not going to consider it?

I already know UD's out of the running, so I think it'd be better if I told them so they can try to inform someone from the waitlist in time for them to go to the visit.

Late congrats, misterpat!!! It's awesome that you have a choice that you're happy with, and is tough for all the right reasons.

I'm completely with you on the Chicago thing, btw. I'd like to close that chapter too.

Me three. Maybe it'll be there when I come home from work today...

it's interesting how it's really more about getting closure than about getting admitted. Getting my rejection from Chicago was such a relief. I won't be able to relax properly until the whole process is done- in or not, I just need to know.

Thanks again. You're playing your cards a little closer to your chest now, so I don't really know where you weren't accepted to, but choosing between UCSB and Indiana has got to be difficult.

I managed to get into UCLA as well as UCSB and Indiana, but Indiana is winning on the money front. I made a serious mistake in focusing on a lot of UC schools because they've been completely devastated financially in the time since I submitted my applications. But I'm strongly leaning toward Indiana at this point anyway - in addition to the funding issue, the school has a number of fairly unique aspects... the presence of the American Historical Review's editorial offices provides another employment/funding opportunity besides just TA-type work, and the cost of living is so much lower than Santa Barbara. Although I wouldn't have the beach, I think I'd ultimately be happier if I wasn't living by the absolute skin of my teeth. I also visited Indiana last week and everyone I met was great from start to finish - the department seems like a very congenial place in addition to having great scholarship. Bloomington also has quite a bit to offer culturally because of the huge presence of the University. I'm just dreading the cost of moving the contents of my 2 bed/2 bath condo 2000 miles. :wink:

I already know UD's out of the running, so I think it'd be better if I told them so they can try to inform someone from the waitlist in time for them to go to the visit.

I hear ya. If you know they're definately out of the running, then you're decent if you tell them asap so they can offer the spot to someone else. Of course, if you weren't sure, there would be no harm in holding onto it.

Me four. :cry:

Careful what you wish for! :| I got home late, and there the rejection letter sat in my mailbox. I was admitted to the MA program with the Committee for International Relations, which shows I either did a crappy job on my SOP or they simply flagged the word "nationalism" in it, and sent my app on over. Not really at all what I want to study, and WOW is it expensive! Nevertheless, I'm not disappointed; I'm not fazed at all, really. Huh....

I want to at least feel good because they offered me admission to the MA, but part of me thinks that your application fee buys you an unfunded MA spot as a way for them to make money. Kind of like the "Participation" ribbons they handed out at grade school field days. Or a pyramid scam. In this economy, can't say I blame them! :D

so, despite still waiting on nyu, i thought my decision about what school to attend was going to be obvious. pitt's history department as a whole isn't the strongest out there, but their latin american history program is pretty beefy and it's actually the perfect fit for my interests. so much so that it was #2 on my list of schools amongst all those fancy shmancy ivy leagues and top 10 schools that have rejected me. pitt offered me the most competitive funding package they have and i've been looking at apartments on craigslist, all excited to move. :roll:

today, i get an email from the DGS at miami letting me know i won a university-wide fellowship. reduced teaching requirements, $30,000/yr. thirty. thousand. that is a ridiculous amount of money to me. i could live in a condo on the beach and get my scuba license and buy a surfboard (even though they only get waves in 'cane season). and no snow! i could even get an iphone. i could build my own darkroom, which i've wanted to do for 8 years. ugh, why?? why do they tempt me with their filthy floridian greenbacks?

it's nice to be wanted by somebody, though.

so, despite still waiting on nyu, i thought my decision about what school to attend was going to be obvious. pitt's history department as a whole isn't the strongest out there, but their latin american history program is pretty beefy and it's actually the perfect fit for my interests. so much so that it was #2 on my list of schools amongst all those fancy shmancy ivy leagues and top 10 schools that have rejected me. pitt offered me the most competitive funding package they have and i've been looking at apartments on craigslist, all excited to move. :roll:

today, i get an email from the DGS at miami letting me know i won a university-wide fellowship. reduced teaching requirements, $30,000/yr. thirty. thousand. that is a ridiculous amount of money to me. i could live in a condo on the beach and get my scuba license and buy a surfboard (even though they only get waves in 'cane season). and no snow! i could even get an iphone. i could build my own darkroom, which i've wanted to do for 8 years. ugh, why?? why do they tempt me with their filthy floridian greenbacks?

it's nice to be wanted by somebody, though.

Well, I'm impressed.

8)

I would recommend using the Chronicle of Higher Education's cost-of-living calculator to see what 30,000 Miami bucks would be in Pittsburgh bucks. If Pitt's offer is still competitive given the lower cost of living there, I don't think the situation is much changed--you pick the school that's the best fit and that can get you a job. For you, that sounds like Pitt. If Miami's offer is way higher regardless... Well, I would definitely consider that offer.

I managed to get into UCLA as well as UCSB and Indiana, but Indiana is winning on the money front. I made a serious mistake in focusing on a lot of UC schools because they've been completely devastated financially in the time since I submitted my applications. But I'm strongly leaning toward Indiana at this point anyway - in addition to the funding issue, the school has a number of fairly unique aspects... the presence of the American Historical Review's editorial offices provides another employment/funding opportunity besides just TA-type work, and the cost of living is so much lower than Santa Barbara. Although I wouldn't have the beach, I think I'd ultimately be happier if I wasn't living by the absolute skin of my teeth. I also visited Indiana last week and everyone I met was great from start to finish - the department seems like a very congenial place in addition to having great scholarship. Bloomington also has quite a bit to offer culturally because of the huge presence of the University. I'm just dreading the cost of moving the contents of my 2 bed/2 bath condo 2000 miles. :wink:

Yeah, that AHR office is a sweet little bonus for Indiana. Your quality of life will probably be a lot better in Indiana, minus weather and dealing with Indiana-folk (I think I recall you saying you were a native, but you've obviously transcended your home-state).

Just found out thought that I am ALSO on the funding wait-list at Temple... Hrmph. So, no guarunteed funding from either program. Fiddlesticks.

I think Temple's TAs get 13k and Mizozu's graders get 6k, and my rent could be under 300 a month in Columbia, where it would be at least double that and probably more in Philly. So it's a tough call, money-wise, if I do end up getting off of both lists.

Well, I think I'm done on gradcafe now. I'm going to chalk Columbia up as a "no," since a friend of mine still hasn't heard from them, two years later... Best of luck to everyone. PM if you need anything.

That's pretty rude, after the $90 application fee. Ah, well, wouldn't want to go to a place like that, anyway.

Careful what you wish for! :| I got home late, and there the rejection letter sat in my mailbox. I was admitted to the MA program with the Committee for International Relations, which shows I either did a crappy job on my SOP or they simply flagged the word "nationalism" in it, and sent my app on over. Not really at all what I want to study, and WOW is it expensive! Nevertheless, I'm not disappointed; I'm not fazed at all, really. Huh....

I want to at least feel good because they offered me admission to the MA, but part of me thinks that your application fee buys you an unfunded MA spot as a way for them to make money. Kind of like the "Participation" ribbons they handed out at grade school field days. Or a pyramid scam. In this economy, can't say I blame them! :D

Hm, I might have written nationalism somewhere on that app as well..... Maybe it got lost in the interdepartmental exchange shuffle? :lol:

I would be very happy to have been offered a spot, even if it sounds slightly pyramid scam like!

I still haven't heard from them. I got a offer at my undergrad U and I'm happy with that, Chicago would just be my last option to actually go somewhere else. If not, I'll be happy as a clam and stick around at my school. It's just the not knowing that is driving me insane.

I am still waiting to hear from 2 schools, and I haven't seen any evidence that either has started notifying applicants. I pray that this doesn't go on until the amen hour, but I have a feeling that I will not know for sure where I am going until very close to April 15th.