What people said when you told them you were accepted...

crv7867

AH! My high school GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR said something to this effect... to my mum... in our town's grocery store... (I'm from a tiny village!) "Oh, so she's elected to hide from the real world for a few years eh? It must be nice to prolong the undergrad experience... if you're going to be too smart for your own good, you might as well have a piece of paper to prove it!"

I would have replied with something along the lines of "yes, it's kind of like people who work in high schools because they want to hide from the real world and relive their former glory days over and over again." (For the record, my parents work in high schools ;) )

Everyone was really supportive. I got a lot of "Congratulations!" and "I told you so." When I told my boss, he looked at me and said, "So, what I'm I going to do here?" He's quite a narcissist anyway. Guess what? Not. My. Problem.

• 1 month later...

To be honest, I think most of my family was concerned with how expensive my school is rather than the fact that I got in to a really competitive program. I knew they were happy and proud of me, but it didn't feel that way at the same time, because there were a lot of naysayers. I had saved a leftover bottle of champagne from New Year's for this potential moment, and sadly I ended up drinking it alone. Not exactly the celebration I had hoped for, but now that I've made my position clear, everyone has been very helpful and supportive. Of course, the only thing my teen sisters are concerned with are A)When they can come visit me in Chicago and B) Where we will go shopping there. ; )

When I called my closest friend and told her, she said "I knew that you would get in there" but had a dissapointed tone to her voice. At first I thought she was jealous, but then I realized that she doesn't like that I'm moving three hours away. : ) It caused some misundestanding but we've gotten past it and now we're spending lots of quality time together before the big move.

My boss and co-workers are really the only people in my life who were excited about this from day one. They were proud and ecstatic that I got into such a great program, and my boss even mentioned something about "living through you vicariously." It sounds weird I know, but we're a really tight-knit group. I'm starting to get the feeling that my younger (close in age to me) co-workers are a bit jealous, but I guess that's normal. It's weird to hear about them making plans for the near future and knowing that I won't be a part of it. I feel like I'm walking away from a part of my family and I know it will be very, very hard to walk out of there after two and a half years.

All in all it's been quite the trip, with a mixed bag of reactions, but now that I'm getting ready to start grad school everyone is rooting for me and I really appreciate their support. I couldn't ask for better family and friends in this.

• 1 month later...