What people said when you told them you were accepted...

crv7867

The response from people I don't know very well:

Them: "Wow, the US!"

Me: "Yep, the US!"

Them: "And for how long is that? One year? Two?"

Me: "Five. Theoretically."

Them: "Five... (indefinite shocked silence, while they carefully back away)"

I've been trying to tell my dad for the past 4 years (I've been applying to PhD programs for 4 years and finally got into a school!) that if I get into a PhD program it will be completely funded. He has a "yeah right!" attitude about it. When I showed him my acceptance (full ride+stipend+professorship) he shrugged it off and said, "how are you going to pay for that?" I explained to him I don't have to pay but instead I get paid. He seems clueless. Parents can be so dense!

Mom: "Where are you going? What? Where? Spell that. So, you are going to be in school until you're old..."

A Surprisingly large number of friends from back home: "Didn't you start your PhD, like, two years ago?"

"Oh? Where else did you get in? Oh, nowhere? Do you have any more schools you're still waiting to hear from? Don't give up hope yet... Oh, you want to go there? Well... then congratulations!"

Yeah. Tell me how you really feel!

Even if no one else understands my choice, I know that my dreams really just came true for me, and I am so...very...excited!! :)

When I got accepted to the first school, without funding, my mom was like "Well, even if you don't get funding and can't afford to go, I'm still proud you got in!" She, like, was ultra excited that I even got accepted (which shows she understands how hard it is even to get to that point!). She was even more excited when I got into the other school with funding :)

When I got accepted w/ funding to the school I'm attending, it was general congratulations and excitement via facebook. As far as real-life people, LOL, my adviser for my Master's gave me a hug. My dad and step-mom took me out for dinner. My step-mom is psyched b/c the school I'm attending is her alma mater for undergrad. Actually, the school where I'm doing my Master's is my Dad's undergrad alma mater (which means I can give an informed opinion on the pluses and minuses of each...).

My parents also were like I told you so :) They were really happy I wouldn't have any graduate school dept and still can't believe i get paid in addition to having no tuition (i didn't grow up with a lot of money)

i'm almost decided on one school in the south so many people ask if its near a popular beach (its not) but i say they have palm trees there :) (i'm from the north where its cold until june)

My boyfriend said (in regards to Columbia Teachers College) he was sorry because he knew all along we'd be going to New York. He didn't say anything because he knew I wanted Yale, but he knew we'd go to Columbia because he wanted to be forced to go to New York (where he had thought about moving years ago but never did).

My Professor who wrote my LoR: (when I got into my safety school) "Well at least you know you're going somewhere (emphasis on Somewhere)."

(when I told him I got into Columbia) "You're kidding! You're joking, right!?" (with a stunned look on his face)

UPenn

them: "Penn state is a great school!"

me : -_-

Columbia

them: "that's great, but where and what is that?"

me: -_-

i was shocked how many people do not know what upenn and columbia is and think all my local schools are FAR superior.

I have had similar experiences recently. They all seem to think when I say Columbia I am talking about a school in Missouri or South Carolina.

Me: "Oh my god! Oh my GOD! OH MY GOD! I GOT IN!"

Husband: (in the other room when I opened the email) "Wait! Wait! I want to come in there before you tell me you got accepted!"

Puppy: "Everyone is excited! I can bounce around the room like a crazy too!" (tries to knock me over) laugh.gif

Dad: "That program is amazing. Top ten, right?" (proceeds to send me 3 emails that evening with information about UW and how much people like them)

Edited by maeby-me

Friends from college + Parents: Impressed and happy for me!

Relatives: Where's Stanford? Is it a good school? Will you become a teacher?

Old friends from school: Are you still studying? Oh... can't you get a real job then?

I get a lot of "is that a good school?" To which I usually say "Well, it's not a bad school..."

Also, I have had people of people say "Where is LSU?" And when I say Baton Rouge they say, "No I mean...like, what state?" which is amusing.

OH, and when I was considering Virginia Tech I got a surprising amount of "aren't you afraid of getting shot?"