or not waiting...

rainbowworrier

I had a crappy skype interview a while back, and the interviewers were condescending about my current profession, didn't see a link between it and the field I had applied to, and even though I had prerequisite degrees, implied that I was unqualified for their program.

I recently was offered admissions to a better program at a better school.

Can I tell you how GOOD it felt to call the other school and withdraw my application before they could reject me?

Anybody else done something similar?

I had a crappy skype interview a while back, and the interviewers were condescending about my current profession, didn't see a link between it and the field I had applied to, and even though I had prerequisite degrees, implied that I was unqualified for their program.

I recently was offered admissions to a better program at a better school.

Can I tell you how GOOD it felt to call the other school and withdraw my application before they could reject me?

Anybody else done something similar?

Nope, but CONGRATS, and not waiting feels absolutely amazing. The fact that I finally don't have to be obsessively thinking about it, by which I mean calculating, dreaming up scenarios, hoping for mail, sifting the Internet for information on admissions processes, and so on and so forth...all freakin' day, every day. It's all good no matter how the waiting ends.

Yes, I did! It was amazing. There was a school that accepted me shortly after I interviewed, with a pretty gnarly fellowship to boot! The other school kept stringing me along, telling me they were going to get back to me in a few days. This went on for months. Eventually, I just accepted the offer from the school I was excited about. It felt good to send that email saying, "sorry, I accepted a fellowship offer elsewhere."

I found out yesterday that the MIA school actually called my current PI and asked questions about me a little bit ago. She said, "sorry, you guys just took too long to get back to her."

Huzzah! I understand that good feeling you had. It STILL makes me smile, and it's been a few weeks.

I recieved a very sad message from the POI at the other school I withdrew my application from, after accepting admissions at a school. I feel awkward about it, but I am still going to explain that the bulk of the reason I chose to go elsewhere was due to a massive lack of disorganization in that department. Truly not the profs faults, but still...I don't want to spend the next 5 years of my life fighting to get get a returned phone call, let alone research approval...

I recieved a very sad message from the POI at the other school I withdrew my application from, after accepting admissions at a school. I feel awkward about it, but I am still going to explain that the bulk of the reason I chose to go elsewhere was due to a massive lack of disorganization in that department. Truly not the profs faults, but still...I don't want to spend the next 5 years of my life fighting to get get a returned phone call, let alone research approval...

That POI's sad email seems a bit unprofessional to me. What was (s)he trying to accomplish there? Just making you feel bad? Acceptances and denials are part of this process, on both ends!

Don't feel awkward at all. It's your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesomely funny update: the first school that I withdrew my app from, the one with the crappy skype interview, a week later they emailed me a rejection. It made me laugh very very hard. Sort of like when somebody quits, and then the boss tries to fire them. Dude, I've already quit.

Awesomely funny update: the first school that I withdrew my app from, the one with the crappy skype interview, a week later they emailed me a rejection. It made me laugh very very hard. Sort of like when somebody quits, and then the boss tries to fire them. Dude, I've already quit.

Oh, that's hilarious. I think it's safe to say you came out on top!

Well, that's just kind of crappy of them. Or maybe they're so disorganized that they never filed your withdrawal.

I was waiting for my fourth response after accepting somewhere else. Months ago, they sent a "sorry we're so disorganized email." Then I wondered what was taking so long, so I logged into the portal and found out they had lost my transcript. So I had it resent and sent an email asking about the lost transcript. I never got an answer to my email, but I did get a rejection about two weeks later.

Now I keep getting automated reminders that my password to their portal has expired.

Last year I was admitted at a program with full funding, I declined the offer since I was more excited about another school and in September (when the semester had already began) they sent me a rejection letter. I couldn't help but laugh. So I guess they don't take rejections as well as we do. Are you rejecting me? No, wait, we'll reject you instead. Nobody says no to X school!!!