University of Western Ontario

poliscijunkie

Is no one headed to western this year ? or did i miss the other topic? anyways, Hi all future westerners !

anyone have an inside perspective about the campus ? I am coming from U of T so I hear the overall atmosphere is muuuuuuuch different

Is no one headed to western this year ? or did i miss the other topic? anyways, Hi all future westerners !

anyone have an inside perspective about the campus ? I am coming from U of T so I hear the overall atmosphere is muuuuuuuch different

I'll most likely be heading to Western this year as well for their PhD program in I/O Psychology. Program atmosphere was phenomenal. I'm coming from Ottawa.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to UWO in the fall for their I/O Psych program. Very excited!

It's strange I didn't see this thread earlier. I was going to start one for UWO but didn't see anyone else in the last few months even applying to Western. Glad to see some others! I'm excited to start, although, to be really honest, I'm somewhat less excited about the town than the university and my program itself. Not that it looks dreadful, just that, coming from Vancouver, and doing my MA in Montreal, it seems so much more 'small town'-ish. I'm looking for places constantly (btw, I'm having a hard time finding places for August or September - I guess I just have to wait until it gets closer?), but many seem to be in the middle of nowhere, and I've noticed the public transit isn't great. It seems difficult to find places close to bus routes to UWO which are also close to things I need to be within walking distance, since I don't have a car: supermarkets, drugstores, etc. I'm sure I'll learn to love London, and in any case, I'll be spending most of my time at the university anyway, but I just haven't found myself warming to it yet.

And poliscijunkie, if you're around, we'll be in the same department! Are you an MA or PhD? What are your interests? PM me if you want to talk, it'd be great to get to know a future colleague.

It's strange I didn't see this thread earlier. I was going to start one for UWO but didn't see anyone else in the last few months even applying to Western. Glad to see some others! I'm excited to start, although, to be really honest, I'm somewhat less excited about the town than the university and my program itself. Not that it looks dreadful, just that, coming from Vancouver, and doing my MA in Montreal, it seems so much more 'small town'-ish. I'm looking for places constantly (btw, I'm having a hard time finding places for August or September - I guess I just have to wait until it gets closer?), but many seem to be in the middle of nowhere, and I've noticed the public transit isn't great. It seems difficult to find places close to bus routes to UWO which are also close to things I need to be within walking distance, since I don't have a car: supermarkets, drugstores, etc. I'm sure I'll learn to love London, and in any case, I'll be spending most of my time at the university anyway, but I just haven't found myself warming to it yet.

And poliscijunkie, if you're around, we'll be in the same department! Are you an MA or PhD? What are your interests? PM me if you want to talk, it'd be great to get to know a future colleague.

Hey,

I attended UWO for my undergrad and will be back for my MA in the fall. I'm also concerned about finding a rad apartment; it seems like everything close to campus is undergrad student ghetto-ish (read: NOT so study friendly). Does anyone know if there's a 'designated' grad student area?

Thanks!

i am in the same boat. just started calling apt today, but they all seem so far. and the ones that are close seem to be overpriced for london (one benefit of attending western was escaping from toronto rent prices...). @apop please let me know if you find an area that is not so densely populated with undergrads ( i feel like staying away from the dt core may be the best bet??)

Hi everyone,

My name is Joe and I'll be heading to UWO this fall for my Master's in I/O Psyc.

Looking for a roommate?

Yesterday I found the best apartment ever.

Type: Luxury Condominium.

Location: Masonville. Mall is literally outside. Across the street from a bustop. Takes 5 minutes to get into the heart of campus. Not the edge of campus - 5 minutes to get into the HEART of campus.

Bedrooms/Bathrooms: 2 bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. No need to share bathrooms.

Perks: Mostly grad and professional students; each floor has its own fitness room, laundry room, and garbage chute. Hardwood floors. SPACIOUS.

Price: 450-500 depending on which bedroom + price of internet.

It was a dream. I saw this yesterday. I called this afternoon; I was too late. It was sold this morning. I haven't stopped kicking myself since.

However, there are other rooms in the same apartment. That is, the same luxury condo, the same excellent location, the same 2 bedroom/2 bathroom deal, the same amenities. However, I can't apply to these on my own because these landlords want to rent out the entire roomate. Thus, I am looking for a roommate for these. Let me know if you are interested :)

About me:

- Male, 21 years old; turning 22 this October.

- Friendly introspective nerd.

- Residence Advisor / Don at Queen's University. I made sure the 1st years didn't get out of control

- Hobbies: piano, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

- Fave shows: Seinfeld, Arrested Development

- Loves dogs. Don't really care about cats, though.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested :)

Edited by Joe22c

i am in the same boat. just started calling apt today, but they all seem so far. and the ones that are close seem to be overpriced for london (one benefit of attending western was escaping from toronto rent prices...). @apop please let me know if you find an area that is not so densely populated with undergrads ( i feel like staying away from the dt core may be the best bet??)

Yep; anything near 'richmond row' is a bad idea. It's essentially vegas for undergrads. Although it's not exactly close to campus, Wortley Village seems to be great. Unfortunately, I've had no luck with anything right next to campus like I had been hoping for.

It's wonderful to gain all of this information about the city and the uni. I'm moving from Alberta and am not really sure what to expect in London.

Thanks for the advice on "Richmond Row" definitely going to avoid that area!!! I've heard that everything east of Adelaide can be a bit skeezy--is this accurate or are there areas in there that are pretty decent?

I've had little luck with the apartment/townhouse hunt as well. Found one that I really liked and was reasonably priced (about 5 minutes west of the university too) but 7 other people beat me to it--an HOUR after it was posted. Grrrrrrrrrr....I'm crossing my fingers that this is not the way the market typically is.

This will be the 6th year that I've lived on my own in London. Renting is a pain in the butt in this city and is a process that can only really be learned with time. I would stay away from Richmond St. in general, yes. It's busy no matter how close or far away you are from the main Richmond Row. The reason is that downtown London has all the nightlife and the streets are usually busy all the way up toward campus. The volume dies down slightly as you get more between campus and downtown, but it amps right back up once you hit campus entrance off Richmond. Richmond gates entrance and the surrounding area is known as the "student ghetto" STAY AWAY FROM HERE. These buildings are sometimes in poor condition and are nearly always populated by undergrads (hence the name). Near Masonville Mall on Richmond is a good area as far as Richmond St. is concerned, but you have a fire station nearby which means emergency vehicle traffic is not uncommon. It's not ubber frequent and you adapt to it if you're living there. I've lived at two different locations on Richmond, which is why I know the street pretty well. My experience East of Adelaide was exactly what the rumors said. It seemed all right when I moved into it, but would NEVER do it again. My landlord was completely negligent and there was constantly police showing up and domestic violence occurring in the open. Noisy neighbors, etc. If I could provide any advice to avoid undergrads and the sketchy areas it would be that it may be worth spending a little more money and taking a little more time to get to campus.

This will be the 6th year that I've lived on my own in London. Renting is a pain in the butt in this city and is a process that can only really be learned with time. I would stay away from Richmond St. in general, yes. It's busy no matter how close or far away you are from the main Richmond Row. The reason is that downtown London has all the nightlife and the streets are usually busy all the way up toward campus. The volume dies down slightly as you get more between campus and downtown, but it amps right back up once you hit campus entrance off Richmond. Richmond gates entrance and the surrounding area is known as the "student ghetto" STAY AWAY FROM HERE. These buildings are sometimes in poor condition and are nearly always populated by undergrads (hence the name). Near Masonville Mall on Richmond is a good area as far as Richmond St. is concerned, but you have a fire station nearby which means emergency vehicle traffic is not uncommon. It's not ubber frequent and you adapt to it if you're living there. I've lived at two different locations on Richmond, which is why I know the street pretty well. My experience East of Adelaide was exactly what the rumors said. It seemed all right when I moved into it, but would NEVER do it again. My landlord was completely negligent and there was constantly police showing up and domestic violence occurring in the open. Noisy neighbors, etc. If I could provide any advice to avoid undergrads and the sketchy areas it would be that it may be worth spending a little more money and taking a little more time to get to campus.

I concur...We Londoners like to call it 'EOA', or, East of Adelaide. You know it's serious when it gets an acronym.

Okay, so not 'EoA', not around Richmond St., where would you Londoners suggest to look? I'm looking at the map here: http://offcampus.uwo.ca/maps.htm

How are the 'near south, and 'near west' areas? They seem conveniently close to campus but not around the 'problem areas'. If you can also comment on the public transit services in these areas and in general, that would be great. I don't have a car (actually, I don't even have a valid license), so I will be bussing it everywhere. From my investigating thus far, the transit isn't great; some apts. I've looked at thus far seemed like they were in good locations but required transfers or otherwise very indirect routes to UWO. Thanks for any personal insight you may have.

Okay, so not 'EoA', not around Richmond St., where would you Londoners suggest to look? I'm looking at the map here: http://offcampus.uwo.ca/maps.htm

How are the 'near south, and 'near west' areas? They seem conveniently close to campus but not around the 'problem areas'. If you can also comment on the public transit services in these areas and in general, that would be great. I don't have a car (actually, I don't even have a valid license), so I will be bussing it everywhere. From my investigating thus far, the transit isn't great; some apts. I've looked at thus far seemed like they were in good locations but required transfers or otherwise very indirect routes to UWO. Thanks for any personal insight you may have.

Masonville, North London, Near West, Kipp's Lane, Whitehills- but good luck finding anything here, Old South. Transit is great from the Masonville area.

Masonville, North London, Near West, Kipp's Lane, Whitehills- but good luck finding anything here, Old South. Transit is great from the Masonville area.

Thanks apop and ahalliday for your advice on where to find a place.

I'm going to be stuck without a car as well so being situated in a place that has convenient access to bus transit will be a must for me and my girlfriend, who will be moving with me.

Hey everyone!

I just sent a couple PM's but then realized that most people in this forum (or who just glance over it) are probably in the process of finding roommates/apartments by Western. Fortunately, I just purchased a beautiful home in Masonville (5 min bus ride to heart of campus, or max 20 minute walk) that has been completely renovated and is beyond typical student living: all hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, very spacious and bright, etc. All in all it's a great quiet home and I have 2 options. It's a raised ranch so the first level (which you may call a basement but it's really not) is a 2bdrm apartment with two seperate entryways that I'm renting out for $1050 with everything included. The second option is I'm looking for someone who is clean, mature and respectful to live with me in the upstairs part of the house (you'd have a seperate 4 pc bathroom) for $470/month all inclusive. Both options include everything: parking, laundry, internet, cable, heat and hydro, water, AC, etc. There's a beautiful big backyard and the house is located on a quiet, old, established cul-de-sac that is 2 seconds away from the bus stop to campus.

Like I said, I'm just looking for a few fun people who are good people to live with. The upstairs and downstairs are seperate but it would be nice to have some people in there with me that get along. If you are interested, please feel free to shoot me an email at m.desjardine@hotmail.com with any questions or if you'd like some pictures. All the best in your new programs and in London everyone!

PS - this is honestly the first day I've advertised the apartment because I just bought the home yesterday so I'm not sure how quickly it will go.

Hi Everyone,

Good to hear the-heads up on "East of Adelaide."

Does this apply to all of Adelaide? Or just the South side?

What about the Adelaide and Fanshawe? Is that still considered a part of the student ghetto?

Thanks in advance! :)

- Joe

Seriously though, what's with all the carpeted apartments? I've never seen (online) so many buildings with nasty carpets.

I'll be driving so hopefully I find something decent, and by that I mean quiet with some kinda hardwood or at least wood looking floors....sheesh.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm still searching for apartments. I don't think I can really settle on something until I get there in person. I'm trying to keep my options open, though, so if any of the posters from London are still around, I have a couple questions about 'Richmond Row'.

What exactly is it that makes it undesirable? Is it just noise? If it is, do you think it would largely be mitigated by some distance, like if it were one block over from Richmond? I lived in the McGill ghetto first year of my MA, and I honestly didn't mind it, despite my being the furthest thing from a 'partier' as one can get, probably. I can handle noise.

Also, what would be your guess of the boundaries of the 'problem' section of the street? Looking at the Richmond Row association site, they seem to label it as between Oxford and Queens. Does that seem right? I know someone above said the whole length should be avoided, but I was looking at a couple places around St. Joseph's Hospital, and it seems from afar to be a quiet area. Are my impressions accurate?

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to land a beautiful condo on William Street just west of Adelaide. To be honest, the neighborhood is great and I don't see anything wrong with Adelaide street itself. There are a few rough spots east, but I don't see the ugly picture that most people have painted about that area.

Perhaps my opinion will change once I spend a solid 4 years in London.