Once you decided, how did you accept the offer?

Ways of saying YES to an offer  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How did you accept?

• Website
    • Personal Email
    • Dept. Form Letter
    • Personal Letter
    • Phone Call
    • In-Person Conversation
    • Serenade Below Their Office, Message on a Special Cake, Letters in the Sky,..etc

After you decided: "yes, this is where I am going to go for the next chapter of my life..." how did you tell the school and the professor? I am curious to hear people's stories - and how the prof responded.

I am in the process of making a fancy card to say "yes". It looks a tad flamboyant (think brocade prints...) but it is fun to tap into my arts and crafts side. Basically I wanted to make the Prof feel good about accepting me, and give them a thank you gift in my own odd way. :)

What is the way that you told the POI your decision?

After you decided: "yes, this is where I am going to go for the next chapter of my life..." how did you tell the school and the professor? I am curious to hear people's stories - and how the prof responded.

I am in the process of making a fancy card to say "yes". It looks a tad flamboyant (think brocade prints...) but it is fun to tap into my arts and crafts side. Basically I wanted to make the Prof feel good about accepting me, and give them a thank you gift in my own odd way. :)

I just made it really simple and straightforward. something like "after much consideration I have decided to accept your offer for school X's Phd program. I look forward joining the department!"

I received a nice reply from my POI welcoming me to the lab and I've been in contact with the current grad students.

It is a little strange just sending a brief email for something that will dictate the next 5 years of your life but I think you don't need anything elaborate: you're in!

I accepted on the website and sent the department secretary and my PoIs a brief email saying that I was happy to accept their offer and looked forward to attending in the Fall.

Edited by newms

I clicked "accept" on an online form, but then sent a personal email to the secretary and program director to let them know.

And then I hired a mariachi band to dance through the halls of my new home.

Ok, no, that last one's a lie.

Edited by MoJingly

I clicked "accept" on an online form, but then sent a personal email to the secretary and program director to let them know.

And then I hired a mariachi band to dance through the halls of my new home.

Ok, no, that last one's a lie.

Oooh I like the idea of a mariachi band, or maybe one of those multi-person Chinese dragon puppets and fireworks... I can only hope for that kind of response from my grad students far far far away in the future when I am a prof ;) heh heh

Edited by coffeecoffeebuzzbuzz

I sent an email to my new advisor saying that I was accepting his/their offer. His response in under a minute: "Wow, cool." (and some other business about looking forward to working with me.) Pretty sweet :) Then I went about clicking online buttons and signing my funding offer.

His response in under a minute

Sweet. I thought my potential adviser getting back to me after I accepted in 1.5 hours on a Sunday morning was impressive.

I emailed the prof telling him I would accept once I got the official letter. But then I waited because I would be visiting soon.

I had to speak in person to the grad secretary in my program. I asked her how I should reply and she just said to send her an email. It was all pretty easy and casual.

I sent an email to the department on 4/15 and mailed the form letter in when I got back home. I think I told my POI in person because we were at the same large conference on April 15. That also meant that I got to tell the POIs and other faculty I met that I didn't pick their schools while I was there.

I think a fancy card is a bit weird (and also sooo not my POI's style or mine).