Accepting more than one offer?

nobody2008

Dear All:

I am an international student and have been admitted to a few universities for unfunded Masters. I have already accepted the offer from the university I wish to attend. I am a little hesitant in sending regret letters to the other universities - something in me says what if something goes wrong ( I don't know what might go wrong ), I'll have nothing to fall back upon. I have read in some other places that some students accept multiple offers and that is fine as long as they are all unfunded. I do not want to do so as I do not wish to spoil somebody's chances in getting into some other universities. Do the universities take this factor into account that some students although having accepted an offer will not join the universities, and therefore, make more offers than the number of seats available.

I do not wish to do anything immoral but I am a little afraid of removing plan B,C,D from my possible options in the future.

I'm an international student too and I was told that accepting multiple offers is a very VERY bad thing to do and you might lose both spots. So be careful and don't to that...

Dear All:

I am an international student and have been admitted to a few universities for unfunded Masters. I have already accepted the offer from the university I wish to attend. I am a little hesitant in sending regret letters to the other universities - something in me says what if something goes wrong ( I don't know what might go wrong ), I'll have nothing to fall back upon. I have read in some other places that some students accept multiple offers and that is fine as long as they are all unfunded. I do not want to do so as I do not wish to spoil somebody's chances in getting into some other universities. Do the universities take this factor into account that some students although having accepted an offer will not join the universities, and therefore, make more offers than the number of seats available.

I do not wish to do anything immoral but I am a little afraid of removing plan B,C,D from my possible options in the future.

Hello nobody2008,

Good that you've asked the question before replying to your other choices. I made the mistake of sending rejection emails after formally accepting my offer... I learned that it was a wrong thing to do, since as you well said, anything could go wrong.

The best thing you could do is to delay your reply to the other Unis until the day (or hour) of the deadline (some may have it as April 15th), at least when you'll have weighed your options thoroughly.

What would go wrong between now and matriculating at your program? If you have the final offers from all the programs, accept the one that you think is best and reject the others. In any case, it is pretty unethical and may cost other people spots in programs. Of course, if you need time to weigh your options, definitely take all the time you need. But once you've made up your mind and accepted a program, there is absolutely every reason to send in your official rejections to the others.

I agree. Taking multiple spots is HIGHLY unethical. If any school finds out you are doing, there are plenty of ethical qualified applicants willing to take your spot. You will probably be rejected and blacklisted at that department.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use