University of Wisconsin-Madison

singlecell

Ogopo - your post in the Madison city forum was really helpful! that forum in general is helpful. when are you (all of you) planning on moving to Madison?

I plan to move early august, mid july if i get the reslife position i applied for.

Hey Madison friends.

Anyone going to live with roommates you've never met? just got an offer to live with some folks - sounds like a sweet deal. But I'm torn... there's so much that can go wrong in roommate situations, particularly the first year of a new event in life... like grad school. after a long day of classes or intense thesis work, coming home to a quiet place - sans people - and a glass of wine sounds perfect. However, I've never lived alone and I'm worried that I might go a tad stir-crazy solo. Considering how safe Madison is, safety of living alone isn't an issue. but yet... thoughts?

Hey Madison friends.

Anyone going to live with roommates you've never met? just got an offer to live with some folks - sounds like a sweet deal. But I'm torn... there's so much that can go wrong in roommate situations, particularly the first year of a new event in life... like grad school. after a long day of classes or intense thesis work, coming home to a quiet place - sans people - and a glass of wine sounds perfect. However, I've never lived alone and I'm worried that I might go a tad stir-crazy solo. Considering how safe Madison is, safety of living alone isn't an issue. but yet... thoughts?

I think you would be safe living alone but it seems like such a lonely life, especially if you have never lived alone before. Why don't you live with other grad students? Certainly they will understand your need for quiet. Also, if you are wary about living with people you don't know, Facebook stalk and skype with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I know this thread is a little old, but I just got accepted into UW! I'm in the pfmp program. Anyone looking for apartments near campus this month? I'm frustrated that everything I've seen so far is only available at the end of August. I'm hoping to move up this summer and get a job. Also, do we know how reliable the busline is? I'm from Chicago-Land of Amazing Public Transportation, so I'm trying to gauge how easy it will be to live a bit farther from campus.

Hey all, I know this thread is a little old, but I just got accepted into UW! I'm in the pfmp program. Anyone looking for apartments near campus this month? I'm frustrated that everything I've seen so far is only available at the end of August. I'm hoping to move up this summer and get a job. Also, do we know how reliable the busline is? I'm from Chicago-Land of Amazing Public Transportation, so I'm trying to gauge how easy it will be to live a bit farther from campus.

Welcome, lagenialester. Congrats on getting into UW! I am also moving from Chicago, but at the end of August. I suggest you look at sublets for the summer. There are many on craigslist. Some sublets can even be extended once the school year begins, or, you will be able to find that perfect permanent place to live while staying in the sublease. I have heard that the buses are excellent. But sadly, no more El for us. I will let you know my impressions after I visit-- I am going up tomorrow!

What's pfmp? :)

Hello fellow Madison Mates..

Just joined this forum, and extremely happy to find a thread on UW!

Alrite..I am an International student coming to US around first week of August 2011 so I have absolutely no clue how booking rooms works in US..hence totally confused

Bookin a room..in a totally diff country..that too online is extremely challenging!

I have no idea what I am getting into!

So will it be too late if I wait till August first week to personally come to madison and check out the places?..or should/can I book it online?

Let me know....

Hello fellow Madison Mates..

Just joined this forum, and extremely happy to find a thread on UW!

Alrite..I am an International student coming to US around first week of August 2011 so I have absolutely no clue how booking rooms works in US..hence totally confused

Bookin a room..in a totally diff country..that too online is extremely challenging!

I have no idea what I am getting into!

So will it be too late if I wait till August first week to personally come to madison and check out the places?..or should/can I book it online?

Let me know....

I would suggest that you find a place earlier than August. If that means you need to find a place that you don't personally see, don't fret. There is a lot of good advice on this forum and instead of repeating all of it, I will post the links for the threads. Also, I am international and I had never been to Madison when I began my search. Although I was able to visit a month ago and cement my choice, I had pretty much decided on a place remotely.

So here are the threads:

Ok.. that's all I could find for now. But you should definitely go back and read this thread from the beginning and most importantly, go see Madison under the City Guides subforurm. If you have more questions after that, go ahead and post them :)

Hey all, I just spent the whole day in Madison looking at apartments. It was only the second time I have been there. I found a beautiful apartment and developed a better sense about the neighborhoods, so I will share for the benefit of those who can't make it there for a visit.

I will be living in the Tenney-Lapham neighborhood. It is 2, maybe 2.5 miles from campus, on the isthmus near Lake Mendota. It is a quiet grad student neighborhood with parks, little shops, and homes. I really love the vibe of the neighborhood. It is also near several bus lines. It looks really safe and quiet. I will move in August 15th.

I visited an apartment complex in the south part of town... Burr Oaks neighborhood. I do not recommend it. The area is not neighborhoody; it is more a mix of industrial and commercial parks from what I saw. The bus line I took there was full of some very colorful characters. I don't think it is dangerous there, it just was not as nice as the rest of what I saw. Pass...

I saw three places just southwest of the capitol, on Main and Doty streets. Some people I met in town said that this area was not nice and full of transients, but it looked quite nice to me. There were one bedroom apartments with all utilities included, of decent quality. It might be a little louder in that neighborhood because of undergrads, but the proximity to campus was great, only about 1 mile.

My second choice apartment was on Willy street, which is an independent sort of hippie area. I liked the charm of the neighborhood a lot. There are lots of houses and 2 flats for rent. The place I looked at was a converted storefront, really unique. However, Williamson street itself is all ripped up and being resurfaced. I was told they just started the project so that could be really loud and annoying to live near. I can definitely see myself shopping and eating in the restaurants and the co-op on Willy street. Another down side, it is farther from campus- about 4 miles.

The buses were great. If you visit without a car, you can get a one day pass for $4.50. Normal rides are $2.00 each. As grad students we get a free pass, of course. I was able to get everywhere I needed to be in good time. The drivers were friendly and patient with people who did not know the system.

Madisonites (Madisonians?) are so lovely and kind. People were great, striking up conversations on the bus, giving me directions, one of the leasing agents even gave me a ride. I only have one complaint: they love to tell you what an isthmus is. Thanks, folks, I got it! A narrow strip of land separating two bodies of water! I know!!! ;)

Thanks for that! This was really helpful, as my program director recommended Willy st to me as a good place to look. Can anyone explain this Section 42 business? Grad students don't qualify for a lot of housing because of it.

Hey all, I just spent the whole day in Madison looking at apartments. It was only the second time I have been there. I found a beautiful apartment and developed a better sense about the neighborhoods, so I will share for the benefit of those who can't make it there for a visit.

I will be living in the Tenney-Lapham neighborhood. It is 2, maybe 2.5 miles from campus, on the isthmus near Lake Mendota. It is a quiet grad student neighborhood with parks, little shops, and homes. I really love the vibe of the neighborhood. It is also near several bus lines. It looks really safe and quiet. I will move in August 15th.

I visited an apartment complex in the south part of town... Burr Oaks neighborhood. I do not recommend it. The area is not neighborhoody; it is more a mix of industrial and commercial parks from what I saw. The bus line I took there was full of some very colorful characters. I don't think it is dangerous there, it just was not as nice as the rest of what I saw. Pass...

I saw three places just southwest of the capitol, on Main and Doty streets. Some people I met in town said that this area was not nice and full of transients, but it looked quite nice to me. There were one bedroom apartments with all utilities included, of decent quality. It might be a little louder in that neighborhood because of undergrads, but the proximity to campus was great, only about 1 mile.

My second choice apartment was on Willy street, which is an independent sort of hippie area. I liked the charm of the neighborhood a lot. There are lots of houses and 2 flats for rent. The place I looked at was a converted storefront, really unique. However, Williamson street itself is all ripped up and being resurfaced. I was told they just started the project so that could be really loud and annoying to live near. I can definitely see myself shopping and eating in the restaurants and the co-op on Willy street. Another down side, it is farther from campus- about 4 miles.

The buses were great. If you visit without a car, you can get a one day pass for $4.50. Normal rides are $2.00 each. As grad students we get a free pass, of course. I was able to get everywhere I needed to be in good time. The drivers were friendly and patient with people who did not know the system.

Madisonites (Madisonians?) are so lovely and kind. People were great, striking up conversations on the bus, giving me directions, one of the leasing agents even gave me a ride. I only have one complaint: they love to tell you what an isthmus is. Thanks, folks, I got it! A narrow strip of land separating two bodies of water! I know!!! ;)

If you don't mind saying, how/where did you look for places? Craigslist? The schools campus housing site? Thanks!

If you don't mind saying, how/where did you look for places? Craigslist? The schools campus housing site? Thanks!

Every apartment I visited was from craigslist. Or, sometimes I would look at a listing on cl and not like the apartment, but then would go to the leasing company's website and see their other apartments. The place I ended up taking apparently gets a lot of referrals from individual departments too. I tried using the UW housing listing service but the places I called/emailed were already taken so my impression is that site is not updated regularly or landlords don't take their listings down when places rent. I won't list them here but if you want specific listings I looked at and thought were good just shoot me a message.

Hi Madison friends! ^_^

Every apartment I visited was from craigslist. Or, sometimes I would look at a listing on cl and not like the apartment, but then would go to the leasing company's website and see their other apartments. The place I ended up taking apparently gets a lot of referrals from individual departments too. I tried using the UW housing listing service but the places I called/emailed were already taken so my impression is that site is not updated regularly or landlords don't take their listings down when places rent. I won't list them here but if you want specific listings I looked at and thought were good just shoot me a message.

Thanks Singlecell and everyone who provided tips on housing at Madison!

I'm a grad student heading there too and I wouldn't be able to reach Madison until just before term starts in August because I'm international and the flight is too expensive. I don't intend to move over before August either because I still have things to tie up. After reading all the information from various helpful people, I've decided to live at either Hilldale/Monroe street/Vilas area or near East around Tenney-Lapham.

I'm not sure though, how I'm going to settle the lease long-distance. I can certainly wire the money and sign the documents via courier service but how many leasing agents are willing to do that? I may be able to get some really nice people at Madison to look at the place for me and verify that it's not a scam but paperwork is another thing...

I'm also looking to live with housemates. Rent is much cheaper for a 2/3/4/5 bedroom than a 1 bedroom and although I don't make a lot of noise or talk a lot, it just feels safer and more comfortable if I could share a place with another female who is also quiet but friendly. I guess housemate situations are always risky...but perhaps skype and facebooking can help to reduce some of the uncertainty. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to share a place in the areas I've mentioned!

Edit: I love hardwood floors. My country doesn't have winters, so I have no idea how useful carpeted floors are. If I wear furry slippers, are they enough to stop my feet from freezing in winter in a hardwood floor house? Why are so many places carpeted, anyway?

Edited by calamari

I love hardwood floors too. I did not see too many places with hardwood for rent in Madison but they are out there. Good question as to WHY so many places are carpeted. My guess is it is cheaper to replace carpeting than to refinish wood floors??

• 1 month later...

I think I will bump this topic since I received my orientation packet today. I learned our Tier one health insurance payment is $18/mo for a single, and I think I will add on the vision plan for $5.24/month. I'm really happy to see how good the coverage is, even typical dental work is included.

I'm curious, is anyone getting a signing bonus award? They are giving almost $700 to students in my program... for relocation expenses I suppose. We can use it however we want. That will be nice to take care of first month's rent.

Thanks for bumping this, Singlecell. Isn't the insurance awesome? When I was talking to current students about the school before applying, one explained that although the stipends and aid might not be the best, UW-Madison has fantastic health care. Can't wait to actually go to a real doctor and dentist after two years of temporary, short-term insurance.

Yes - I'm getting a 'welcome check,' too - though just $500 ;) It's nice! I think it'll go towards a good bed. Two years on a craigslist bed has been enough (gag).

Very excited - exactly one month until I start driving out there! :) FedExing one box of books to my department today to save me a little room in my little car. Trying to resell my two pieces of furniture on craigslist... ;)

That's pretty nice that your department is willing to accept packages for you! I will be U-Hauling it from Chicago and I am not bringing too much furniture... just a bed and a table. I found out our first paycheck is on Oct. 1, so September will be a tight month! The welcome check is very very welcome indeed. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I hope it isn't boring! I'm moving in on Tuesday, hopefully it will stand up to this Chicago-girl's expectations. Anyone else trying to find work/know of any openings? My program doesn't allow us to be TAs or RAs, so I'm scouring the job market there.

I'm moving tomorrow (Tuesday) too... very excited! I am also coming from Chicago, and I am looking forward to life in a small city. When is your orientation? Mine is Aug 24th. Is anyone planning to attend the graduate school event on Aug 31st?

I am not so sure what sort of work you are looking for, but already I have noticed a lot of food-related jobs for students. And I don't mean working at a fast food joint... there is the Willy St. coop, which is reputed to be an excellent employer, there were students staffing the UW ice cream shops when I went there, and maybe the farmer's market hires people to staff their stalls? I suppose that would be seasonal work though.

I'm moving tomorrow (Tuesday) too... very excited! I am also coming from Chicago, and I am looking forward to life in a small city. When is your orientation? Mine is Aug 24th. Is anyone planning to attend the graduate school event on Aug 31st?

My department orientation is on the 31st, before the grad school one. I guess it would be good to attend. See you there?