Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

Hi all! Long time lurker here.I was wondering if anybody else was working on the medical forms?

Anyone else in the difficult position of their most recent physical exams being out of the 6 month period Fulbright gives us, but still within the year, so insurance doesn't cover it? Looks like I'm going to have to shell out several extra hundred dollars for a second physical exam within a year (had one last August) that would've otherwise cost $10. Anyone else in the same position? Any suggestions?

Also, to the other women out there: are you sending in the PAP smear results, even if they come out normal? Or only sending attached test results if their abnormal?

Oh, the joys of hoop jumping. It will be worth it in the end!

We have to get PAP smears?...ugh.

It doesn't ask specifically for PAP smears. My doctor said I didn't need one till I was 25 or sexually active...neither of which has occurred yet. Curious what she'll do on this one.

Full grant to the Netherlands!

After being turned down for every other grant for which I applied (six), I feel incredibly lucky. For spreadsheet purposes, I'm a PhD student in art history. And, to the person who asked if a museum affilation is enough, apparently it is!

Edited by mm_donuts

I got it! Full grant to the Netherlands! I'm crying over a bowl of orange chicken at Panda Express lol. Fingers crossed for the alternates..I hope you both hear soon. Hang in there:-)

This made me laugh. I keep checking my email at work (I'm a pre-K teacher) and wondering what I'm going to do after totally freaking the kids out with my tears- hopefully ones of joy.

Congratulations!

It doesn't ask specifically for PAP smears. My doctor said I didn't need one till I was 25 or sexually active...neither of which has occurred yet. Curious what she'll do on this one.

No harm, no foul. Get it done if they ask for it. If you have nothing to worry about, why sweat it?

**memories of smurfgirl**

Just found out - I'm an alternate to Andorra.

I'm pretty devastated, but I'm going to do my best to stay optimistic that a position will open for me! Best of luck to everyone else!

I am too!!! Don't fret ACO!! I don't know who the hell they accepted if not either of us... :) I'm not devastated per se but I really did have the feeling that I would get it. Having a 3.98 in grad school, having a TESOL background, etc... so I am a little caught off-guard perhaps.

Strangely, I was actually just beginning to have reservations over whether or not this was truly what I wanted to do. I know that probably sounds utterly insane to most of you given the amount of time, investment, and forum-checking we have all put in over the last 10 months or so. And yet I honestly was beginning to suspect I had a different vision for my self and was relying too much on the Fulbright to make me look good on paper/give me a concrete "answer" for my short-term future/etc. So in a weird way I wonder if my alternate status reflects that suspicion, and points to a need to move on and do some real soul-searching. It seems like the people who are singlehandedly accepted are likely the most resolute and clear and unequivocally passionate about Fulbright fitting into their vision, if that makes sense.

Good luck everybody!! Especially you ACO! :)

Edited by jaymee

I finally called Rachel and asked about Italy. She said we would probably hear back early next week because the commission offices are closed, and they need authorization from the commission to send out the notices. So they know, they just can't tell us. UGH!

Grazie mille, ma che schifo!

Sigh. Ok - first, thanks for calling. Second, AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! I have to let my grad school know by the 15th if I am accepting their offer or not...Talk about cutting it close.

Xanax drip anyone?

Same here. I was accepted to a PhD program and have to respond by the 16...This wait is too difficult.

I am too!!! Don't fret ACO!! I don't know who the hell they accepted if not either of us... :) I'm not devastated per se but I really did have the feeling that I would get it. Having a 3.98 in grad school, having a TESOL background, etc... so I am a little caught off-guard perhaps.

Strangely, I was actually just beginning to have reservations over whether or not this was truly what I wanted to do. I know that probably sounds utterly insane to most of you given the amount of time, investment, and forum-checking we have all done over the last 10 months or so. And yet I honestly was beginning to suspect I had a different vision for my self and was relying too much on the Fulbright to make me look good on paper/give me a concrete "answer" for my short-term future/etc. So in a weird way I wonder if my alternate status reflects that suspicion, and points to a need to move on and do some real soul-searching. It seems like the people who are singlehandedly accepted are likely the most resolute and clear and unequivocally passionate about Fulbright fitting into their vision, if that makes sense.

This is so, so clear-headed of you. Seriously, I am impressed! I haven't heard back yet, but I suspect that if I do not get it, it will likely be for the same reason. I figure, if it is meant to be, it will be. If not, well, my reservations about Fulbright will make more sense.

Strangely, I was actually just beginning to have reservations over whether or not this was truly what I wanted to do. I know that probably sounds utterly insane to most of you given the amount of time, investment, and forum-checking we have all put in over the last 10 months or so. And yet I honestly was beginning to suspect I had a different vision for my self and was relying too much on the Fulbright to make me look good on paper/give me a concrete "answer" for my short-term future/etc. So in a weird way I wonder if my alternate status reflects that suspicion, and points to a need to move on and do some real soul-searching. It seems like the people who are singlehandedly accepted are likely the most resolute and clear and unequivocally passionate about Fulbright fitting into their vision, if that makes sense.

Awww, thank you so much! The support on this forum is fantastic. I would love to know who got did get the 5 spots too - I was starting to convince myself I would get it too, with English and Spanish majors and a linguistics minor, a Spanish honors thesis about Catalan, and a lot of tutoring and coaching experience.

Sadly, maybe your reasoning is exactly why I'm so devastated. I'm one of those people who knows that she wants to be in Andorra next year, unequivocally.It's the one country in the world where the random language I spent a year researching is official (not only co-official), and I can imagine myself there more easily than anywhere else next year. There were only 2 honors theses in Spanish at my university this year, and so the whole department basically knows me as the girl who studies Catalan. I applied to a program in Catalunya too though, so I'm working on making my way to somewhere near that area, I suppose!

I'm so glad for you though that you have such a great outlook about this all, and you know yourself so well. Best of luck in whatever you do! :)

One of my friends just found out he got an ETA to Jordan! Does this mean we will find out decision for MENA soooooon? Unless they're doing the whole staggered response thing, in which case who knows what their schedule looks like!

i think it'll be really soon since the US office already has the results (from my understanding)...hopefully mr. jones will send them out tomorrow....also, is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people don't apply to morocco??

For those who got accepted, how long does it say you have before you have to decide? I think some of us "alternates" would like to know how long we should plan on waiting. Congrats to everyone!

For Korea ETAs, we have to send in our acceptances by April 15th so about two weeks after we were notified. I imagine it is different for every country so I don't know how helpful this is for you lol. Good luck to you and all of the other alternates!!

I am an alternate full to Jordan. Here's the email:

"We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year. Therefore, we want you to know the status of your candidacy for a Fulbright award for 2012-2013 to Jordan. You have been designated as an alternate for the U.S. Student Fulbright Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available. It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered at a later date. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude your accepting the award.

The majority of principal candidates are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the principal candidates for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. Please note, however, that there are grantees each year who accept the Fulbright award initially but, due to unforeseen circumstances, need to decline the award later on. In addition, every year additional funding becomes available in the late spring. Your chance of hearing from us will be greatest in May and June and steadily decline as the months go on. For that reason, you will remain on the alternate list through the summer and into the academic year unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition.

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please let us know in writing. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless you are offered an award.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program."

From this thread, it sounds like everyone is either accepted or becomes an alternate. Does anyone know how many alternates there are and what the ranking system is?

I am an alternate full to Jordan. Here's the email:

"We are keenly aware of the pressure on candidates to make their plans for the coming year. Therefore, we want you to know the status of your candidacy for a Fulbright award for 2012-2013 to Jordan. You have been designated as an alternate for the U.S. Student Fulbright Program. Thus you would receive an award only in the event someone withdraws or additional funding becomes available. It is our hope that you would be available to accept a grant should it be offered at a later date. In the meantime, it is important that you advise us immediately if there is any factor that could preclude your accepting the award.

The majority of principal candidates are given one month to make their decisions regarding acceptance or declination of an award. You can assume that the principal candidates for your country are being notified simultaneously with this notice to you. Therefore, you can estimate the time frame in which most students will accept or decline their award offers. Please note, however, that there are grantees each year who accept the Fulbright award initially but, due to unforeseen circumstances, need to decline the award later on. In addition, every year additional funding becomes available in the late spring. Your chance of hearing from us will be greatest in May and June and steadily decline as the months go on. For that reason, you will remain on the alternate list through the summer and into the academic year unless you withdraw, in writing, from the competition.

No additional information should be sent to us in support of your application, as it will have no effect on your status. Also, please be advised that in the event that we can offer you a Fulbright award, we will try to contact you by telephone or email first. If you need to update any of your contact information, please let us know in writing. You will receive no further correspondence on your status unless you are offered an award.

We appreciate your interest in the Fulbright Program."

From this thread, it sounds like everyone is either accepted or becomes an alternate. Does anyone know how many alternates there are and what the ranking system is?

There has been rejections, if you check this years and previous years results. I dont think they release how they rank people.

....b/c they are not pleasant experiences, especially if you are not yet sexually active!

Somewhere on the internet, there is an Awkward Penguin meme perfectly suited for what is happening right now :lol:

I'm so jealous of everyone knowing already. I'm still here waiting from Vietnam... :)

I'm jealous too! I'm waiting on Hong Kong, and it seems alot of the Pacific Asian countries are still in the dark except for Korea.

I did find out from Jonathan Akeley that they "hope to know about Hong Kong within the next 2 weeks." This might also be the expected time frame for Mainland China, Taiwan, and Macau. Ah, the Chinas!

Mil gracias, Aronofsky. Is this for Full/ETA applicants or just ETA? I thought they would be much further along by now based on previous information (i.e. that they'd be prepping sending out notifications, not waiting to hear back from the Commission). Either way, the update is greatly appreciated!

I think they mean they haven't gotten the final approval from the Spanish Comission? Oh no, I was hoping for this week, but in light of the Easter holiday (and someone else's report about Italy, I would assume we will hear back next week, but Friday after all the Semana Santa observances are over.... sigh...

"hurry the F8&^ up" should be a virtue! sigh.

Congrats to the newly minted acceptances!

I also talked to Jonathan Akeley and got the "hopefully, within two weeks" message for HK. Not sure what that means, but I was too embarrassed about calling to press him for details. I'm not sure why, since he sounds like a nice guy. Still waiting to hear back from jobs I've applied to at HK universities too, and I hope news comes soon. I'm quitting my job today!