Fulbright 2012-2013

Bkid-Sapps

A few last minute words before tomorrow! Good Luck to everyone waiting patiently for tomorrow to arrive. I hope tomorrow brings great success in the Fulbright notifications. Whether we make it to the second or not... we will be here for you. Congratulations if you make it into the second round tomorrow. For those people, we will be here to encourage you to remain calm and patient for the final round. For those that don't make it to the second tomorrow...your fight isn't over and we will be here for your support as well however you need it. The last few weeks of reading this forum have been great. I am proud of all of us making it to this point. As I have said before... Getting to this point speaks volumes! Good Luck and Congratulation to you all!

Is it tomorrow yet? :P

Going to answer several posts at once.

I can't believe how much all of you are freaking out. I just assumed that I wouldn't get the Fulbright and that either way I wouldn't know for sure until April so I went on with applying to other things and focusing on friends, family, working out, and school work. I honestly did NOT think about it as much as so many of you have.

The subject of the email last year was "Your Fulbright Application" and the email was sent by "Fulbright U.S. Student Program" on January 20, 2011. Here are the first two lines of the email I got: "I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2011-2012. Your application has been forwarded to the supervising agency abroad for final review.

I was awarded a grant (packet arrived in the mail on April 5) and am currently abroad on my Fulbright. I'm not having the more typical experience because my country does not have a Fulbright Commission and there are very few Fulbrighters here at the moment.

Anyway, best of luck to you all as you cope with the waiting period. Seriously, you have to find a distraction otherwise waiting until April/May/June is going to do bad things to your health, both physically and mentally.

hey you guys,

i just wanted to let you know that i was given the most amazing cookie. seriously, it is so warm and delicious and full of nuts. i can see that you guys are super hungry. i can't understand why you would be freaking out over a delicious cookie such as this one. i mean, all i did was fill out some silly papers asking for this cookie and then completely forgot about it. i was so surprised when they offered me the gigantic, life-changing cookie. now here i am, sitting with my cookie, staring at all of you guys wondering why you are so hungry for this tasty treat. find something to take your mind off my cookie!

love you lots!

A few last minute words before tomorrow! Good Luck to everyone waiting patiently for tomorrow to arrive. I hope tomorrow brings great success in the Fulbright notifications. Whether we make it to the second or not... we will be here for you. Congratulations if you make it into the second round tomorrow. For those people, we will be here to encourage you to remain calm and patient for the final round. For those that don't make it to the second tomorrow...your fight isn't over and we will be here for your support as well however you need it. The last few weeks of reading this forum have been great. I am proud of all of us making it to this point. As I have said before... Getting to this point speaks volumes! Good Luck and Congratulation to you all!

Is it tomorrow yet? :P

well said! i am hoping for the best for us all!!!!

Molly, not sure about the time but im in NYC last year someone posted they got their email around 6. but who knows when... hopefully early

They said we'd hear in the evening, I think -- but then, that could just be to cover however long it takes to send out thousands and thousands of emails. :) Good luck to everyone. At least we'll know, right? Personally, my plans are the same either way, but the support would obviously mean a lot.

cabooklover, have you checked with Birmingham whether they can help at all, if by some fluke the FB doesn't come through? I know Scotland has a handful of partial scholarships for foreign students (Santandre or Santander or something like that I think) -- not sure if they are applicable in England too.

Edited by MarcelloMarcelli

Any idea what time we should expect to hear from them tomorrow? Of course I have 2 classes tomorrow and they'll probably send it while I'm in class....

Do you think they will start tonight and go into tomorrow? I heard they did that last year... I wish there was somewhere we could go to definitely find out it is going to be tomorrow...

If I don't get it I will start looking into other options.

I guess I should share my grad school story with everyone. After graduating from undergrad with a degree in German in spring of 2010, I was sure I wanted to go to Germany in the fall and go to grad school there. Unfortunately, I did not receive a full-year scholarship from DAAD. When I got the rejection letter, I was more than crushed. However, around the same time I received an acceptance letter from a school in Ohio-I received a full scholarship, and the first year of the program was in Austria!

Everything works out for the best ;)

I don't know about everyone but after finding out the news... that we will know tomorrow. It has helped out a lot. I am not nervous like before... I feel a little calmer that I will know soon enough!!!

Hahahah- @ waveaflag.... 12 thumbs up!!

'Honestly, the cookie is well, perfect but ... I mean... geeeesh, calm down... find a hobby. Pathetic.'

Oh well, I guess some people just find their cookie after having felt totally ambivalent or having forgotten all together, while others are going to slip into a diabetic coma if they don't hear about that damned cookie tomorrow.

Good times at the GradCafe, good times.

hey you guys,

i just wanted to let you know that i was given the most amazing cookie. seriously, it is so warm and delicious and full of nuts. i can see that you guys are super hungry. i can't understand why you would be freaking out over a delicious cookie such as this one. i mean, all i did was fill out some silly papers asking for this cookie and then completely forgot about it. i was so surprised when they offered me the gigantic, life-changing cookie. now here i am, sitting with my cookie, staring at all of you guys wondering why you are so hungry for this tasty treat. find something to take your mind off my cookie!

love you lots!

Hahahah- @ waveaflag.... 12 thumbs up!!

'Honestly, the cookie is well, perfect but ... I mean... geeeesh, calm down... find a hobby. Pathetic.'

Oh well, I guess some people just find their cookie after having felt totally ambivalent or having forgotten all together, while others are going to slip into a diabetic coma if they don't hear about that damned cookie tomorrow.

Good times at the GradCafe, good times.

Yea... I wouldn't be upset if we replaced this story with another metaphor... But it was great when it was first told!!

They'll let us know whether we're in the running, but certainty certainly won't be ours for a while.....

yes, yes I know that. it would just give me a clearer vision somewhat of how/if I want to proceed with TFA. my ultimate backup is doing the French Embassy Teaching Assistantship or I guess now I have TFA. But Fulbright would obviously be number 1. ahhh stress.

Is there a real difference between the Fulbright French teaching assistantship and the one offered by the french government? isn't the pay the same or at least comparable?

the Fulbright French ETA just pays for more (travel expenses, stipend, and other things etc.) and requires the side plan or research or whatever in addition to your teaching. and has the prestige of the title of Fulbright and is thus more competitive. The French Embassy Teaching Assistantship requires you to work 12 hours per week and gives you 800 ish Euro a month (which is enough or not depending on your placement which can be anywhere), they don't pay your travel expenses or anything else, and it's much much less competitive. it's essentially the same thing other than certain benefits and prestige though.

Stopped by my FPA's office today. Met to a sign on the door saying, "Working from home this week. I may be reached by email."

Looks like someone's avoiding the deluge of excitement/disappointment that's sure to arrive tomorrow :)

Good luck to all!

After talking to some applicants... this reminds me of a gift giving holiday... Either Christmas or Hanukkah... Wondering what and if you are going to get the gift you have always wanted... Or like the naughty and nice list with Santa... a lump of coal. I know this is a crazy metaphor, however, reading this forum is like the Children's Christmas Book. "Twas a Night Before Christmas". Everyone is waiting patiently (I mean impatiently) :D for tomorrow to hear the news lol! :P

Anyone else reading up on their horoscope to try and predict the results... feeling a little ridiculous right about now

Ummm no, but if you are... could you tell me what it says for a Cancer!! :D:P

@waveaflag, maybe it's a personality difference? I'm not the kind of person that gets worked into knots about things I've applied for or stresses out waiting to hear from them. I have confidence in myself and my abilities, but I'm also a pessimist, assume that I won't get anything I apply for, and work on a viable Plan B and Plan C for when Plan A goes awry. Obviously, YMMV. But the health stuff is legit. You can give yourself ulcers, muscle spasms, and other problems from too much stress and it would suck if that happened to a member of this community.

Sorry that my advice/experience isn't wanted. I'll politely bow out of this thread. Best of luck to everyone!